View Full Version : Do you think poll authors should poll readers for which/how questions should be asked? ;)

jlp
05-02-2004, 02:52 PM
After reading the messages in the poll How Much Digital Music? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27522), it occured to me that quite a few polls have partially wrong/inacurate questions.

So I felt a poll author should inquire about the readers opinions on questions before posting a poll :mrgreen:

Waddaya think?

jlp
05-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Well, I wanted to add: "I have another opinion" poll option but I couldn't; apparently it's not possible to add/edit poll questions once it's posted.

Anyway for you who need it you still can post that opinion here.

jlp
05-02-2004, 02:59 PM
And.... please don't be aggressive in your answers; this poll is meant to be thought provoking 8), not provocative :lol:.

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 07:00 PM
So I felt a poll author should inquire about the readers opinions on questions before posting a poll :mrgreen:
We do, to some extent. However, when it actually comes down to it, making poll options is a lot harder than you might first think. Then there's the polls that haven't been discussed before in the first place...

--janak

jlp
05-02-2004, 09:56 PM
We do, to some extent. However, when it actually comes down to it, making poll options is a lot harder than you might first think.

--janak

This is why the help of others might be useful. Better to think with many heads than with just one, isn't it?! 8).

Jason Dunn
05-02-2004, 10:07 PM
So why didn't you ask what the poll questions should be before making your poll? :wink:

I think there are more important things in this world to worry about than polls - people make far too much of them, and I think it's pretty sad to be honest. :?

c38b2
05-02-2004, 10:19 PM
When a poll involves number intervals be sure that there aren't any gaps!

Kati Compton
05-03-2004, 05:35 AM
Well, your poll doesn't have any options that represent my feelings on the matter.

"I don't see any problems with people making their own polls."

Pat Logsdon
05-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Well, I wanted to add: "I have another opinion" poll option but I couldn't; apparently it's not possible to add/edit poll questions once it's posted.
SEE?? Not so easy, is it? :mrgreen:

JustinGTP
05-03-2004, 05:47 AM
And I think that you have inaccurate poll items. I don't think that people necessarily want to screw up their poll in the beginning. I just wanted a "No, I think you are WRONG" answer. You didn't have it! So you have to practice what you preach.

Zack Mahdavi
05-03-2004, 06:34 AM
Personally, I think it's rather hard for people to accomodate for all the possible answers someone might choose. You just have to do your best. Any statistician will tell you that polls don't accurately reflect the views of the public. So you can't expect the moderators here to alter the rules of math! :)

no, everyone is entitled to screwing their own poll if they want to

This is a great example of what I just said. I wanted to say "no," but you put my "no" out of context to represent something different. So I was forced to pick this answer.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Ed Hansberry
05-03-2004, 12:25 PM
After reading the messages in the poll How Much Digital Music? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27522), it occured to me that quite a few polls have partially wrong/inacurate questions.
Your poll didn't have the option that "No, I think the author of the poll should ask the questions he/she wants to."

It has nothing to do with the screwing it up. Must be nice to be perfect jlp. :roll:

jlp
05-03-2004, 09:02 PM
So why didn't you ask what the poll questions should be before making your poll? :wink:

Congrats Jason :clap:

I knew someone would say that and you did it 8).

You didn't win anything butyou did it first :werenotworthy:

jlp
05-03-2004, 09:07 PM
And I think that you have inaccurate poll items. I don't think that people necessarily want to screw up their poll in the beginning..

I didn't pretend they wanted to screw up their poll to begin with.

But by relying on a single brain, people tend to overlook important things, just like in the poll mentionned.

And as c38b2 said it: "When a poll involves number intervals be sure that there aren't any gaps!" :lol:

I just wanted a "No, I think you are WRONG" answer. You didn't have it! So you have to practice what you preach.

That's exectly my point :mrgreen: