View Full Version : Downloading in Pocket IE

BTS
05-01-2004, 06:05 AM
Hi there! I often do my banking on my Toshiba 750. I want to be able to download a Quicken data file from my bank, save it on the PPC, and then import it into my finance package. However, it appears that Pocket IE does not allow me to save the file. I also run into this problem when trying to download a CSV file from my gradebook software to then view on the PPC (I use SpreadCE which allows me to view CSV files). Again, there is no prompt to save the file.

I am able to save files from places like PocketPCThemes on the PDA.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a limitation to Pocket IE? Are there add-ons or an alternate browser that will allow me to do this?

Thanks for your help!

Pony99CA
05-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Hi there! I often do my banking on my Toshiba 750. I want to be able to download a Quicken data file from my bank, save it on the PPC, and then import it into my finance package. However, it appears that Pocket IE does not allow me to save the file. I also run into this problem when trying to download a CSV file from my gradebook software to then view on the PPC (I use SpreadCE which allows me to view CSV files). Again, there is no prompt to save the file.

I am able to save files from places like PocketPCThemes on the PDA.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a limitation to Pocket IE? Are there add-ons or an alternate browser that will allow me to do this?
Your gradebook software is online? If so, do you have an exact URL for the data file that we could try? (If you have to have an account, I don't expect you to give that to us, but maybe you could put a sample file on a Web server you have access to.)

I know I can save files just by tapping the link. I get a prompt asking me if I want to save the file. I haven't tested it on all file types, of course, and I'm not sure if that's a function of Pocket Internet Explorer or MultiIE 3.0.

If your bank and gradebook don't use a standard link, that could also cause problems, which is why I want to see the exact URL used.

Steve

arnage2
05-01-2004, 02:10 PM
just tap ,the link, and by default it will save to my documents

Wiggster
05-01-2004, 05:49 PM
just tap ,the link, and by default it will save to my documents

Um, no. There are quite a few web servers out there that don't properly handnle the file-types, and if the file is being delivered by CGI or PHP or some such , then it's likely a content type error. A .zip file with a content type of text/plain will show some weird garbage in the browser, for instance. The problem isn't what BTS is doing, he even said that other downloads work fine.

If you guys want, I can whip up a poorly-coded PHP page that will serve the file to the browser instead of offering a download link... it's easier than doing it the right way.

But back to the topic, I think that MultiIE (http://www.southwaycorp.net/) has save functionality built in to the tap-hold menu. I'd verify this, but my PDA is on loan to a friend. It's got a demo where you can try it out, and it's got a wonderful full-screen mode that I can't live without.

BTS
05-04-2004, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I think I'll download and give Multi IE a try. I have run into the save link problem before when downloading from the bank. The link does get saved but it's the QIF file that I need saved so that I can import it into Cash Organizer.

As for the gradebook I gave it another try. When I click on the link the file, rather than downloading, opens up as a CSV text file in PIE. Really odd considering on the PC it will ask me to Open (which it will in Excel) or Save.

I guess it's a simple thing but something that could be added to PIE. I find myself using my notebook less and less and relying on this little Pocket PC handle most of my tasks. Never could do that with my Palm although I'm sure that has changed.