View Full Version : Getting My Exchange Email-How?

bdegroodt
04-30-2004, 12:18 AM
So for the last 9 months that I've been working for my new employer, I've been unable to get my Exchange email while out of the office on my PPC. For some reason, it's BlackBerry or the highway here according to our IT folks. Did that for a while, but the 4355 got me to come back to correct.

SO...How in the world can I get my Exchange email when I'm out of the office? What does it take? I tried doing the regular email setup (knowing that it wouldn't work, but did it anyway) and of course there's no obvious way to tell it that you want email from the Exchange server. I can get it to sync to Exchange when I'm at my desk, but that isn't what I want.

I'm finding it a little frustrating to figure out, and I'll be very dissapointed if I can't get it working. Especially since today I found out through TMobile, I can access my Exchange account on my T610. So, I'm hoping it's just some "operator error" on my part and I can sync/check email remotely...with a little help from my friends. :D

Jason Dunn
04-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Start up ActiveSync on the Pocket PC > Tools > Options > Server tab...that's where the magic happens. Populate it with your login data (including under Options) and see what happens. It may not work right away, depending on whether you need to use a VPN or not.

My Connection Manager settings are set to My ISP and My ISP.

bdegroodt
04-30-2004, 02:23 AM
Thanks Jason. Getting closer. So I filled in everything (what goes in the "use this server" field?). Right now, when I try to sync, it just says "connecting" until it fails (error code INTERNET_2 Synchronization failed due to a communications failure).

Ideas?

mberry
04-30-2004, 02:39 AM
Depending on the version of Exchange. You may not be able to sync your exchange data with your PPC unless the IT department turns that service on.
Exchange 2000 and 2003 come with the ability to sync with a mobile device, however it is not a defaultchange 5.5 had an optional plug in to allow this). Most exchange admins disable services that are not needed.
Security reasons, or company policy may prohibt that service from being started at your company, so like they said, blackberry or the highway. TMobile is incorrect in their assumption that you can get your exchange data through their service also, because if the exchange admins dont allow it, its not going to happen.
You may want to beg and plead (or bribe) your exchange admins in turning that feature on.

bdegroodt
04-30-2004, 02:46 AM
Thanks. I do know we're on 5.5, with an upgrade to come soon. Is Exchange 2003 automatically configured to allow remote Activesync? Or will this issue likely persist?

As for TM, I was able to get my email on my T610, through TM's service by only be supplying my email address and password. Why can't/wouldn't MSFT follow suit with the PPC? Seems to be a very simple and intuitive way of getting mail (though my guess is security risks are potentially high with a service like this).

Appreciate everyone's "Exchange & Activesync for Dummies" course.

freitasm
04-30-2004, 03:43 AM
You'll need Exchange 2003 to allow full ActiveSync with the server. No, it's not automatic, IT will have to provision things for you.

On the other hand I'm collecting and sending e-mail using my Exchange server. I know we have POP3/SMTP ports available on the internal network, but the safest way to go is using an IMAP configuration. Make sure you use your server address as Incoming and Outgoing mail server, enter you exchange user name (which may not be the same as your e-mail address), and a domain if you're required to log into a domain controller.

In my case my e-mail address is [email protected], but my mailbox name is freitasm, and I entered my domain.

I just connect via GPRS, start the movianVPN (using a non-MS VPN box here) and start Pocket Inbox. Send and receive work well, no problems. And that's without any intervention from IT.

Of course if you want to ActiveSync then it's different.

Mark Kenepp
04-30-2004, 06:48 AM
I just connect via GPRS, start the movianVPN (using a non-MS VPN box here) and start Pocket Inbox. Send and receive work well, no problems. And that's without any intervention from IT.

POP3/SMTP access is also something that IT will need to set up as well. It may be enabled by default but if your IT department is picky about how you connect to the Exchange Server, they may disable it.

Your IT department will also control whether or not POP3 and SMTP ports are open through your company firewall.

Jason Dunn
04-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks. I do know we're on 5.5...

Oops. Sorry, I assumed it was 2002 - 5.5 definitely will not work in this scenario.

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 05:41 AM
POP3/SMTP access is also something that IT will need to set up as well. It may be enabled by default but if your IT department is picky about how you connect to the Exchange Server, they may disable it.
... and the same for IMAP.

Brian, just to be clear: you won't be able to do Exchange ActiveSync on 5.5. As for POP3/IMAP, see if they work on a desktop at home first before experimenting on your Pocket PC.

--janak

bdegroodt
05-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks Janak. Any ideas on how I would go about finding our POP address without disturbing the IT beast?

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks Janak. Any ideas on how I would go about finding our POP address without disturbing the IT beast?
What's the hostname of the Exchange server? POP usually runs as a service in Exchange.

--janak

bdegroodt
05-18-2004, 02:11 PM
OK. This is driving me nuts (and making me think about a BlackBerry again). Let's say I was connecting a company laptop to Exchange. What variables go into setting up that configuration? I'm assuming an Exchange ID (for my account), a mail server name, and I'm guessing some sort of VPN/network authentication. Am I missing anything? From those variables, would I have enough to connect my PocketPC to email at least?

We deploy laptops, so I'm certain we can connect that way, and I don't see too much of a fundamental difference in a PPC connecting versus a laptop. Thoughts?

Janak Parekh
05-19-2004, 04:16 AM
OK. This is driving me nuts (and making me think about a BlackBerry again). Let's say I was connecting a company laptop to Exchange. What variables go into setting up that configuration? I'm assuming an Exchange ID (for my account), a mail server name, and I'm guessing some sort of VPN/network authentication. Am I missing anything? From those variables, would I have enough to connect my PocketPC to email at least?
Not quite.

Here's the thing: Exchange supports at least four protocols for accessing email stored on an Exchange server:

1. MAPI (Outlook running in Exchange mode; always on)
2. POP3
3. IMAP
4. HTTP (Outlook Web Access)

You need to know if #2 or #3 are on on your Exchange server. The easiest way to do this (apart from asking the Exchange admin) is to take the info and try to configure Outlook Express (which doesn't support MAPI) and see if it talks to the server. Just because you have a laptop running Outlook does not imply POP3 and IMAP are on...

--janak

bdegroodt
05-25-2004, 05:58 PM
FWIW, I solved this issue. Using TMobile's Tzones Pro service, I was able to provide it some very accessible information about my Exchange account to access my Exchange email on both my phone (T610) and, via a GPRS connection to TMobile, using Pocket Inbox. I can now access, respond, compose, etc. email from my PPC's Pocket Inbox (only via GPRS as your request has to come over TM's network). Very cool service from TM and solves a real pain in the rear since our IT department refuses to support PPCs. Highly recommend this for others trying to get close to a BlackBerry type email service through their PPC.

Jerry Raia
05-26-2004, 05:13 AM
Just to mention it here, if anyone is looking for a third party email service that uses exchange 2003 I want to recommend http://www.mailstreet.net/ I sync my 5555 and i600 along with my PC. I'm happy with them and thier support. Been using them about 6 months now.

The spam filtering they use is very good too if you need it.

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 03:22 AM
FWIW, I solved this issue. Using TMobile's Tzones Pro
Ah, right, I heard about this. Congrats. :)

--janak