View Full Version : Random User Survey: What's Your Job Title?

Jason Dunn
04-30-2004, 03:00 PM
In an effort to gain some demographic information advertisers are asking for, I'm gathering some demographic information about you, the Pocket PC Thoughts reader (advertisers like that sort of stuff). I'll be doing a few surveys like this over the next week. These surveys are completely anonymous - we can't tie the votes into your account in any way, so your privacy and security are completely protected. You have my word on that, so please vote in the poll honestly.<br /><br />Here's the first poll...<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> Sorry, I should have been more obvious with this poll: if you're a student, you don't have a company, so you shouldn't vote in the poll. It's not meant for you. Likewise, if you're not management in your company, and you're not in IT, this poll is also not meant for you. ;-) This isn't random data I'm collecting, it's a specific poll for a specific potential advertiser. It's my fault for calling it a "random" survery - sorry about that.

David Prahl
04-30-2004, 03:12 PM
"Webmaster" for corporation when I was 16.
"Systems analyst" for government now at 18.

:mrgreen:

Ryan Joseph
04-30-2004, 03:13 PM
What, no option for <u>Assistant</u>?!

:mrgreen:

suhit
04-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Where is the option for "Random IT Minion" or "Code Monkey"? :)

Suhit

rocky_raher
04-30-2004, 03:21 PM
I presume the IT categories are for those in the IT support department. We're a software development company. I do software QA, but checked "Other" because that's not, I believe, what most consider to be IT.

Kevin C. Tofel
04-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Maybe it's just me: I tell everyone I'm a Firefighter. All I do is put out IT fires every day..... :roll:

KCT

Kati Compton
04-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Education/Teacher/Student is my usual category.

juni
04-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Lots of CEOs and vice presidents, I see. :D

Jimmy Dodd
04-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Seems a bit IT biased to me. :wink: I guess I'm an "other" in this categorization.

rocky_raher
04-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Lots of CEOs and vice presidents, I see. :D
Does Vice President of the local chapter of the "Thunderbirds/Fireball XL-5 Fan Club" count?

arnage2
04-30-2004, 03:46 PM
im a student, but i have been out for 1.5 weeks because i broke my arm.

T-Will
04-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Are any of you CEOs looking for a personal Pocket PC expert in the Sacramento area? :D

danmanmayer
04-30-2004, 04:47 PM
should probably have student on that list there has got to be some other college people out there.

also for the webmaster at 16, I start at 14 so i got you beat there... hehe, I am now working at a CS research lab while finishing out college. So no government work for me.... hehe

dacs29
04-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Another college student here. Also a CS major.

David

ucfgrad93
04-30-2004, 05:27 PM
7th grade science teacher.

Thinkingmandavid
04-30-2004, 05:37 PM
I am the state manager fror our section :D
and I am also in Grad School working on a Master in "Negotiations and Conflict Management"
The survey is baised because it is focused only on IT, and not on the actual pool of registered user.

GoldKey
04-30-2004, 05:37 PM
IT auditor, basically, a combination CPA/techie.

Jon Westfall
04-30-2004, 05:39 PM
I chose Other, as Here are my titles:

Lead Technician
Lecturer
CEO
President
Graduate Assistant (effective Fall)

So I really figured I'd just play it safe and go with "none of the above"

oom
04-30-2004, 06:01 PM
The Entertainment Complex.
movies, commercials.

craig

szamot
04-30-2004, 06:35 PM
My title used to be “Target Practice Personnel for Middle Management Hostilities”/ Regional IT Manager/ Firefighter/ Whatever-has-a-cable-running-through-it-is-your-job-sorta-thing BS. But since the day I gave up the cubicle rat race and started my own consulting company I have no reasons to complain and neither do the people I work with.

Jason Dunn
04-30-2004, 06:41 PM
But since the day I gave up the cubicle rat race and started my own consulting company I have no reasons to complain and neither do the people I work with.

Well then that means you're the boss Mr. CEO. ;-)

Bill Gunn
04-30-2004, 07:06 PM
But since the day I gave up the cubicle rat race and started my own consulting company I have no reasons to complain and neither do the people I work with.

Well then that means you're the boss Mr. CEO. ;-)

Doesn't CEO imply something more than a one, two or three man operation? The guy who cuts my grass is self employed but he is not a CEO.

Jason Dunn
04-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Doesn't CEO imply something more than a one, two or three man operation? The guy who cuts my grass is self employed but he is not a CEO.

Sure, CEO is a pretentious title for a one-man company, but if you're the owner of a company and you made the decisions, it's the same concept. I'm the owner of Thoughts Media Inc., and I don't call myself a CEO, but with survey's I'd click that box because I hold the decision making power for my company. It's mostly semantics. ;-)

Zack Mahdavi
04-30-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm a college computer science student, but I also work at a small Biomedical Engineering lab as a system administrator. I do a bunch of DBA work along with normal system administrator stuff like maintaining networks, software, etc.

surur
04-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Jason, I though you have leaned by now to include an option for non-participants to click on, so that we are not annoyed for days on end by an incomplete survey on the front page. I clicked on other before even reading the instructions. I'm sure many other people did the same. Your title was very unclear (not just the random part, but the whole part before Update).

I suggest you start all over again, to get some real and valid data.

Surur

OSUKid7
04-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Well, I'm a junior in high school. I'm working on starting my own tech company, Maier Tech Consulting (http://www.maiertechconsulting.com). I'm having trouble deciding on my official Job Title though. The company will be a 1-5 person operation (depending on how many of my friends I can get ;)) and will build, maintain, and troubleshoot PC problems, and perhaps do web design based on responses. Any ideas for my title?

iceman154
05-01-2004, 02:40 AM
It was a toss up between other and IT Staff. I'm a Project Manager but I do support calls if I have free time. :roll: (like anybody in IT has actually has free time :lol: )

bjornkeizers
05-01-2004, 09:21 AM

Resistance is futile. Prepare to be audited.

chunkymonkey75
05-01-2004, 10:37 AM
I am currently a "PC Systems Analyst". But yesterday I just accepted a position in my company as Windows Server Administrator...I'm not certain what my new title will be.

GoldKey
05-01-2004, 02:38 PM

Resistance is futile. Prepare to be audited.

Yet they still resist. Don't they understand, I am there to help. :D

Thinkingmandavid
05-01-2004, 03:47 PM
I think Jason is wanting info on those who are in computer related fields so that is why the survey is listed in such fashion.
I would be interested in knowing all the different types of work roles that use a ppc so we can how it is used in varied work settings.
It is possible there is a lot of assumptions of where a ppc can be used but by knowing where everyone is 'coming from', we are able to understand new or unthought of uses for a ppc.

More than likely there are uses as unique as the users! :D

eclecticlibrarian
05-04-2004, 12:51 PM
I think Jason is wanting info on those who are in computer related fields so that is why the survey is listed in such fashion.

My computer related field wasn't included, so I chose "other". I am a librarian! :D