View Full Version : iPaq 5550 Wifi problem

pdsluk
04-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Hi

I have just purchased a 5550 and I am having intermittant problems connecting to my DLINK wireless router DSL-604 +

Both devices have been upgraded to the latest patches.

I have a 3630 with a PCMCIA expansion pack fitted with a Compaq wireless network card and this device will always connect first time every time within a few seconds.

I also have a Wifi laptop which also works fine.

The 5550 will only connect 50 - 70 % of the time when it does connect, it can take anywhere from 5 to 120 seconds for the LED to change to green.
Once connected the device will work fine until disconnected.

When it will not connect, I have found that no IP address has been assigned to the device, quite often in this mode I can ping the router and devices out on the internet.

I have tried hard and soft resets, removing the battery, reseting five times, making sure i disconnect from Wifi before switching off, praying , swearing etc.

I cannot figure out why the device should do this, can anyone help please.

Thanks

tonywms
04-29-2004, 06:12 PM
How you updated the iPaq to the lastest ROM version.

jeremyweisser
04-29-2004, 07:34 PM
How you updated the iPaq to the lastest ROM version.

Both devices have been upgraded to the latest patches.

pdsluk
04-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Ipaq was upgraded from downloaded patch on HP web site

Current version is

Rom version 1.10.10 ENG
Wifi Driver version 3.2.4.130

pdsluk
05-11-2004, 10:46 AM
After much experimentation I found that if I switch the Wifi channel number to 12, the iPaq will connect every time and throughput is much faster than before.

The joy was soon interupted by finding out my laptop would no longer connect to the router on channel 12.

So I started at channel 1 and worked my way thorugh until I found a number where all five Wifi devices I have work in harmony.

The magic number was 10, I have now been using this for 5 days without any problems.

Very strange but it works.

Hope this post will help others out.

pdsluk
05-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Forgot to mention, that if you only have one device to setup the router, beware.

My first attempt at channel 12 made my main laptop unable to connect and the iPaq would not run the setup to change the channel to another number.

Fortunately I have two laptops so while I experimented with channel numbers one of the two units would always connect so I never had to revert back to the default setup.

HG
05-11-2004, 08:04 PM
I had the same problem you did with my 2215 with a Sandisk SD card. I was surprised at what a huge difference channel switching made. Congrats on getting up and running. Wifi can be extremely frustrating.