View Full Version : How to make this shortcut?

terrypin
04-29-2004, 09:25 AM
I recently posted an enquiry in microsoft.public.pocketpc and microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer asking how I would write a shortcut that would open selected .TXT files in Pocket Word, rather than their usual association. Beverly Howard (Ms-MVP/MobileDev) put me on the right track. So this worked: 55#\windows\pword.exe \my documents\MyPPCMisc\Contacts.txt But so did 58#, 54#, 1#, 999#...! And subsequent experiment seemed to show that the prefix isn't necessary at all. If so, that's good news, as it's hardly intuitive IMO and a bit of a chore.

So my first question is: What is the definitive syntax for a PPC shortcut in WM2003 please?

Secondly, looking at the shortcut for Pocket Word, I see it is :MSPWORD, i.e. not as shown above.

So why doesn't the following work?
:MSPWORD\My Documents\MyPPCMisc\Contacts.txt
(Nor does nn#:MSPWORD\My Documents\MyPPCMisc\Contacts.txt
where nn is any of several numbers I tried, such as 88, 90, etc.)

Thirdly and finally, I'm currently trying to get another shortcut in place that will open a
Tomeraider file directly, instead of just opening Tomeraider (which starts by displaying a list of all .TR files, rather like Pocket Word.) Although following the syntax above, none of the following work. They don't even open Tomeraider, much less the specific file:
\iPAQ File Store\Proporta Ltd TomeRaider\TrPPC.exe \CF Card\My
Documents\CF Library\IMDB-Full.tr

86#\iPAQ File Store\Proporta Ltd TomeRaider\TrPPC.exe \CF Card\My

88#\iPAQ File Store\Proporta Ltd TomeRaider\TrPPC.exe \CF Card\My

I had no responses from any developers in the above newsgroup, so would appreciate any advice from the experts here please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

rhmorrison
04-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Please do not cross post!

Lex
04-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Workaround idea: 'cLaunch' will do this. You specify an exact file to which you want to go and an icon appears on your Today screen that goes directly to any document, spreadsheet or app on the PPC.

See: http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~welic/claunch.html

Click 'Users Screenshot 1' and see my example with 3 spreadsheets shown. (The red marble one.)

terrypin
04-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks, Lex. I may try cLaunch some day, although I have so much already set up and familiar that it would be a major trauma.

I do like that red marble!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Small Town Man
04-29-2004, 10:47 PM
the prefix isn't a random number. It has to match the count of characters after the #.

terrypin
04-30-2004, 07:52 AM
I guess you didn't properly read my post, Small Town Man. In particular, you've ignored the evidence I provided that it does indeed appear to accept an arbitrary number. And even no prefix at all. That was one of the odd aspects on which I was hoping for insights from any programmers here. (And why I originally posted to both forums.)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Small Town Man
04-30-2004, 07:11 PM
I did read your post and could find two questions only. My reply was an answer to the first one ...

So my first question is: What is the definitive syntax for a PPC shortcut in WM2003 please?