View Full Version : What do you pay monthly on your ppc phone/cell phone?

Aerestis
04-29-2004, 07:25 AM
I am really curious to know what sort of monthly rates I would be looking for on average to have a ppc phone or regular cell phone. I checked out the telus website, and I see the flate rate, but I have this terrible feeling I'll end up paying so much more due to making calls or recieving them... however that works... I would ask someone here, around me, but people don't really use cells around here. At all, heh. I was going to call a shop and ask them how much I'd be looking at after buying a phone, but I can only imagine them trying to sell me a phone.

Anyhow... If you're Canadian or American, what do you pay monthly for your cell phone service? I need a mobile phone of some sort for work because I'm finding that I'm not near a phone often enough for clients to communicate with me. It seems to actually be damaging relations, which is really frustrating. I'd like to be able to stay home and work, but I'm in classes from five thirty a.m. until six p.m.

So if you'd like to share your average monthly bill for your ppc phone services or for a cell phone, I would love to see it. Thanks very much for any information :)

Zack Mahdavi
04-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Okay, I use TMobile. I am signed up for a 500 minute plan for $39.99 a month with unlimited weekends and nights. I also am signed up for their unlimited wireless data service, which is $4.99 a month. With taxes, the total is around $53 a month. Ouch.. I know! :)

Aerestis
04-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Wow, that's similar to how much I spend on eating. That's a lot of money... Then again, maybe I can't afford to be cheap so to speak. :)

Well, I guess I'll just hope someone has a solution that costs roughly half that amount :wink: Thanks zkmusa. Oh, I'm wondering if you think it's worth it? Do you think you use roughly fifty three dollars per month in services?

juni
04-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Jeez, that is expensive!

Maybe I shouldn't say anything since the company I work for sells cellphone services among other things and it is free for me. :)

arnage2
04-29-2004, 01:38 PM
i use *sigh* nextel. $49.95 for 300 minutes, $11 for web, and $4 for arcade pack monthly. But my dad gets 5 phones through his company, so i never pay a penny. :D

Zack Mahdavi
04-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, I guess I'll just hope someone has a solution that costs roughly half that amount :wink: Thanks zkmusa. Oh, I'm wondering if you think it's worth it? Do you think you use roughly fifty three dollars per month in services?

Yeah, I think it's worth it because it's the only phone I have. I don't have a landline phone, so I save $25 like that... add $10 for free long distance, and the cost of "being mobile" is only around $15.

So if you think about it like that, it doesn't seem soooo bad. :)

that_kid
04-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Wow I feel bad cause my plan is much more than anyone who's posted so far. I have 2 phones(1 with bluetooth) and a data/voic4 card with 2000 anytime, unlimited n/w which start at 7pm, unlimited pcs-pcs and unlimited data for $130/mo. I can't complain cause i've yet found a better deal.

Steven Cedrone
04-29-2004, 04:15 PM
i use *sigh* nextel.

As do I. I don't like Nextel at all, but like you, at least I don't have to pay for it! (company provided)

Steve

disconnected
04-29-2004, 04:41 PM
My husband and I have a shared Sprint plan -- two phones with a combined 2000 anytime minutes for 85.00 a month. It includes nationwide long distance on Sprint's network, but not roaming. So far, I have free unlimited Vision -- that I use from my iPAQ connected to a T608 bluetooth phone (finally!); I think this is technically against the rules, but supposedly they won't cut you off if you don't overdo it.

In the olden days (i.e., when we just had a landline phone), we spent at least fifty dollars a month on long-distance calls (much more when in the midst of any sort of family crisis). Now we make all of our long-distance calls on the cell phones, so the 85.00 doesn't seem bad (even though with taxes and various hidden fees added it's actually closer to 100.00).

Pat Logsdon
04-29-2004, 04:52 PM
I pay $19.99/mo for T-Mobile's Basic 60 plan. That gets me 60 anytime, 500 weekend minutes, and free GPRS data. It works out very well for me because I use my phone primarily as a BT modem for my PPC and laptop. True, the data connection is limited to ports 80, 110 and 115, but I've found that I can do most of what I need through those ports, with the exception of FTP and SSL. Overall, I'm very happy! 8)

Sunnyone
04-29-2004, 05:08 PM
My husband and I share a Cingular account - 2 phones, 2 numbers - with 350 anytime minutes, 5000 night/weekend minutes, free long distance, free mobile to mobile (we can call each other and other Cingular users free) for about $73/month, which includes taxes, etc. My husband works for SBC so we get a 10% discount.

tanalasta
04-29-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm in Australia and for the business user using the mobile company I'm on, it's 0.055c/10kb's of gprs data with no flagfall. Charges are per kb only and not by minute.

This is additional whatever monthly mobile-mobile/landline call charges normally accrued. The exchange rate today is 1AU = 0.7162US

buckyg
04-29-2004, 05:13 PM
I have Verizon, using the Singlerate plan with Data. The plan itself is around 39 a month, if I remember right. Time they tack on the extra tax-type fees, and the couple of add-ons I have, it winds up being about 53 a month. I can use my minutes anywhere, on their America's Choice network or roaming. My minutes also can go for data, though I don't use it that much.

I only have 150 minutes, but so far, I haven't ever gone over. My company pays me back, so I don't worry too much about it. If we didn't have unlimited long distance on our landline phone, I'd probably be inclined to go with a higher minute plan.

Jon Westfall
04-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Get Ready to Rock your Pocketbooks when you hear this:

I use a lot of cell minutes (mostly talking to long distance girlfriend). So I have T-Mobile's Get More Plus plan ($59.95 a month for 1000 anytime minutes (which i use all of), unlim nights and weekends, no LD charges, no roaming fees). I also have a bunch of riders:
1. Unlimited GPRS data on all ports: $19.99
2. Roadside Assistance ($2.99)
3. 500 Text Messages ($3.99)

All told, adding in about $8 in taxes, I pay around $90 a month on my cell, but I can afford it and for what I use it for, I believe its worth it.

ignar
04-29-2004, 05:55 PM
I have two phones.
Treo 600 with Sprint. 300 mins/month($35), Vision for unlimited internet/SMS ($15).
SE T610 with TMobile. 60 mins/month($20), tzone for unlimited GPRS($5).
The total comes up $75 before tax though I'm considering dropping Vision in favor of tzone. I also disconnected my landline, so $75 (or $60) spending isn't too bad for me especially when I can surf the internet virtually everywhere.

Mitch D
04-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Being a Canuk we have different providers. I am with Fido on a $20 for 200 anytime minutes. Suprisingly I don't use anywhere near that amount of time.

I was using GPRS with fido during my short lived experiment with my XDA and that cost me $50 per month with unlimited MB's

Aerestis
04-30-2004, 03:25 AM
Does anyone have any idea what the cheapest plan is? Right now it seems that fido is in Canada. But wow... 35 seems to be the standard fee. And then you pay on top of that, almost definitely. ohhhh what a world. I'm not even sure what services I can get due to my location. Then again, is that how it works?

I am sooo clueless :)

I went to a phone shop, and I was right, they jsut tried to sell me a telus plan and a neat phone. I hate to admit it, but I was planning on buying the phone until I got home.

JustinGTP
04-30-2004, 03:45 AM
I use Rogers Wireless, and stay clear of them. Worst provider ever, reception is terrible.

And my bill is $44.04/month Canadian. I have their package, "9", Caller ID, VoiceMail, Text Plan, etc. and 150mins, Unlimited weekends.

-Justin.

Aerestis
04-30-2004, 09:04 AM
And wow, I have to buy a phone too? I thought they gave you a crappy one with a contract or something. I am so dissapointed. I want the sony ericsson T630, but I would be soooooooooo irresponsible to just go out and buy that.

I know I want to though...

So I've come to the conclusion that having a cell phone is ridiculously expensive. I can afford to have one, but I hate the idea of spending so much one something that will just make me dislike my life more. I'm not a jerk, and I like clients, but I don't like talking on the phone, and making myself more available to talk to clients sounds about as fun as being eaten by a large bumble bee or purchasing lemons so I can squeeze their juices into my eye balls.

Fifty dollars worth of lemon juice in my eyes every month...

But if I get the sony ericcson, it would be like flying around on the buble bee and turning the lemons into lemonade and drinking it. That sounds pretty fun.

I'm still curious if anyone spends less.

Zack Mahdavi
04-30-2004, 09:33 PM
The T630 is a very nice phone.

Yes, cell phones are expensive, so if you can do without them, then that's your best bet! :)