View Full Version : OQO on 24

Pat Logsdon
04-28-2004, 06:07 AM
I just saw an OQO on the tv show "24". It was being used by one of the bad guys, and they had a few close-up shots of it. Pretty small, and the screen looked it was blue monochrome. He was using it to track the good guys so he could make his escape.

Did I mention that one of the bad guys was using it? :mrgreen:

Anthony Caruana
04-28-2004, 06:42 AM
What time are you up to on 24? We just had 11.00 PM to 12.00 AM on TV last night.

Pat Logsdon
04-28-2004, 07:13 AM
I believe that we're up to 8-9 am here. I forgot that other countries were on a different schedule! Don't worry, though - I don't think I gave anything away. :wink:

If I wanted to really spoil things, I'd tell you that the panda is a secret agent. So I won't. :mrgreen:

upplepop
04-28-2004, 04:00 PM
I noticed it too. I guess the OQO is finally ready for prime time :wink:
It was definately smaller than I imagined it.
I've seen PocketPCs on that show a couple of times as well.

hindencm
04-28-2004, 10:59 PM
I can also confirm that the OQO was on 24 used by the bad guy named Saunder's during his escape. They showed it a few times and I kept looking in the lower right corner of the machine where I thought it said OQO. I was in disbelief!! They also zoomed in on it at one point and the text on it looked extremely small and crisp as if the resolution was something like 600x800 (It looked like a map like satelite along with text showing latitude and longitude). Hopefully this is a sign that the thing will actually make it to market.

It seems like the show features many new technologies as I always see Dell and Apple computers all over the place. Tablet PC's were also featured in more recent episodes. Pocket PC's were also used in the first 2 seasons.

Edit: On second thought, the resolution of the OQO might have even been greater than what I mentioned. Saunder's thumb was visible and it was huge compared to that tiny text!

---Pat, you thought it was in "blue monochrome"? I could be mistaken, but I thought it was in color but just focused in on a blue sky type of picture. I saw the HD version of the show so you could see the unit clearly.

mangochutneyman
06-01-2004, 09:09 AM
FYI, Cnet has a really nice video of the OQO posted as well! Makes you realize why sooo many people are saying the pda is dead...

http://news.com.com/1606-2-5222650.html

outdoor
06-01-2004, 09:33 AM
if anyone also noticed, a few episodes earlier in 24 (season 3), when Kim thought Gail was a mole, Gail tied her up and setted up some sort of wireless video streaming software on an iPaq (3500-3800 series?). Then he used the ipaq to change the room access codes as well. Man i wonder if there is such software out there that does the 2 operations!

Also in season 1, if anyone remembers, one of the terrorists (Alexander Draser) was wiping out the "unsucessful" hired men, he was holding a CLIE n710c..... the camera actually showed he raised the clie and somehow "scanned" the man 50 meters away. Its funny how they can make the CLIE so powerful :D

hindencm
06-02-2004, 09:27 PM
if anyone also noticed, a few episodes earlier in 24 (season 3), when Kim thought Gail was a mole, Gail tied her up and setted up some sort of wireless video streaming software on an iPaq (3500-3800 series?).

I believe that it was an ipaq 19xx series, but I'm sure that the video wasn't REALLY wireless streaming video. :roll:

Wiggin
06-03-2004, 05:25 PM
FYI, Cnet has a really nice video of the OQO posted as well! Makes you realize why sooo many people are saying the pda is dead...

http://news.com.com/1606-2-5222650.html

Excellent video, thanks for the post mango! :way to go:

New data point I had not heard about yet... the built-in "accelerometer"! Very niffty idea of parking the hard drive when the unit detects it has accelerated (e.g. is in free fall from your hand towards the floor).

I'm beginning to :drool: about this little device.
:lol: