View Full Version : input method preferences/suggestions?

capo
04-27-2004, 09:35 PM
I wonder if anybody can steer me toward a better input method than I'm currently using. I have an HP iPaq 4155 and Calligrapher 6.5. (I know they have a newer version available, but I've upgraded their product several times in the past with no appreciable change in function. I'm not convinced that buying another upgrade is anything but another $20 spent) For the most part, Calligrapher seems to interpret my handwriting, but there are a few characters that are a constant source of errors and I haven't found a fix. This really becomes an issue when I'm trying to make quick notes with specific information. The customizations available in the letter shape selector are limited and don't help with my troubles at all. I've emailed Phatware about this but gotten no solution.
Can anyone suggest a better handwriting recognition product? I'd prefer to avoid stylus hunt 'n peck on a keyboard if possible... Thanks for your opinions!

soda97
04-27-2004, 10:11 PM
i wonder is there any speech recognition for pocketpc
so that you just say a word or letter
and it will just type it for you

whydidnt
04-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Have you tried Decuma On-Spot yet? It is somewhat similar to Calligrapher, in that you can write whole words or sentences at a time. However, it doesn't handle cursive writing, and all entry must take place in the SIP, where the keyboard typically is displayed.

The big advantage IMO is that you can correct mis-identified letters before they are entered into whatever it is you're typing, since the software previews what you've written before moving it up to your document.

dh
04-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Personally I could never get Calligrapher 6.x to work for me. I downloaded the trial serveral times and always gave up without buying it.

When ver 7 was in beta I tried it out, bought the full version and have used it every day since. The newest version is 7.3 (I believe) and is just great.

I use Fitaly as my only other input method. There is a really cool looking Fitaly skin posted over at Brighthand which makes it look great.

Jacob
04-27-2004, 11:41 PM
When ver 7 was in beta I tried it out, bought the full version and have used it every day since. The newest version is 7.3 (I believe) and is just great.

I use Fitaly as my only other input method. There is a really cool looking Fitaly skin posted over at Brighthand which makes it look great.

This is exactly me! Except for the Fitaly skin.

Calligrapher 7 does every once in a while give me trouble, but I find it better than 6.

socrates63
04-29-2004, 08:42 AM
The big advantage IMO is that you can correct mis-identified letters before they are entered into whatever it is you're typing, since the software previews what you've written before moving it up to your document.
Yes, this is probably the biggest advantage of Decuma OnSpot over other SIPs. OnSpot is what I use most of the time (I have Calligrapher 7 installed as well) and I highly recommend it. There's a trial (15 or 30 days) available so give it a go.

Zack Mahdavi
04-29-2004, 04:33 PM
I recently discovered Fitaly, and after 2 weeks of getting used to it, it's the only Input method I use. I suggest you give Fitaly a try.

tanalasta
04-29-2004, 05:14 PM
It's a matter of taste. I wouldn't upgrade calligrapher 6.5 to 7.x as it's an expensive upgrade and I'm not sure you'll find the slightly improved handwriting recognition worth the price. You might be better off trying to write more like the calligrapher letters :P

It's worth trialling the different options though - that's always free. I have calligrapher 7 installed but use letter-recognizer for everything except long-note taking.

In a nutshell:
1. If you like handwriting words ala transcriber style - calligrapher's the best (though not perfect) option.
2. If you prefer screen keyboards: fitaly takes a while to learn, like the qwerty keyboard for a novice, but apparently users swear by it because you can type quite fast! I haven't found the thumbkeyboards to be that useful. Calligrapher also comes with a on-screen keyboard, but you knew that already ;)
3. Letter recognizer type input: Decuma on-spot would be your first bet.

socrates63
04-29-2004, 09:15 PM
In a nutshell:

Nice summary!