View Full Version : Pocket PC sync connectors .... ???

prototype
04-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Why is it that every Pocket PC has a company specific propriatary interface for the connection (cable or cradle)?

Why don't they just put a Mini USB jack on them??

All of my digital cameras have the Mini-USB, my Blackberry uses one to sync and charge, my Dell Jukebox also syncs and charges via mini usb.

Is it just so they can charge you and arm and a leg for the specifc cradle and cable????

-Drew

Kevin Remhof
04-27-2004, 07:14 PM
I agree that this a pain for the most part. But... the sync ports on Pocket PCs are still mostly "serial-like". This makes it easier to interface with GPS units and other third-party hardware.

The HP 1900 series is a notable exception. It does not have a serial type port on it. So, you can't find GPS cables for it. This would have been a great PDA to have a mini-USB connector. The only reason I could see for not going with a standard like that is the connection itself. Mini-USB is a tight, small connection. Most Pocket PCs have a fairly loose connection.

Personally, I think Palm had it right with the Palm V connection. Same as the Palm III but without the sliding cover. It was durable enough to survive day-to-day usage without messing up.

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Is it just so they can charge you and arm and a leg for the specifc cradle and cable????
Yes, mostly. :( Although Kevin makes a good point about serial interfaces, it would still be nice to see a standardized USB/serial sync interface, wouldn't it? However, the manufacturers are in no hurry to design any such standard.

--janak