View Full Version : Letter recogniser misbehaving

Philip Colmer
04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
For some reason, I cannot enter i or t with the letter recogniser. As soon as I do the downstroke, it enters the letter L. I cannot enter the dot or the stroke to change the letter.

This is on an Axim X3i with PPC2003.

Any ideas as to the cause or solution?

Thanks.

--Philip

Anthony Caruana
04-27-2004, 11:06 AM
For some reason, I cannot enter i or t with the letter recogniser. As soon as I do the downstroke, it enters the letter L. I cannot enter the dot or the stroke to change the letter.

This is on an Axim X3i with PPC2003.

Any ideas as to the cause or solution?

Thanks.

--Philip

Hi Philip

I had noticed that in the past. If you put the do on the "i" then the "L" should chnge to am "i". Likewise, if you put the cross stroke on the "t" then the "L" should change to a "t".

I just tried t on a couple of PPCs running WM2003 and it works like that on both.

Regards

Philip Colmer
04-27-2004, 02:06 PM
It certainly used to work ... it just hasn't been working that way, though, for quite a while and I'm not sure what caused it to break.

I'm guessing that a hard reset would fix it but I'd be no wiser as to the cause and a hard reset is a bit drastic :-(

--Philip

Kati Compton
04-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Do the other letters all work?

Did you try a soft reset?

Philip Colmer
04-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Do the other letters all work?
Yes - it is only i & t that don't because of the secondary stroke that is required. All other letters are single-stroke and are OK.

Did you try a soft reset?
Yes. I might try uninstalling software one-by-one to see if there is a particular culprit causing the problem and then, if I run out of things to uninstall, do a hard reset.

--Philip

Philip Colmer
04-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Well, it looks like it was an application causing the problem - uninstalling everything has restored the broken letter recogniser. Unfortunately, I got bored towards the end of uninstalling everything one by one, so the last batch contained at least two applications.

I'll reinstall those two first, one by one, to see if it breaks again.

Curious that an application could have that effect, though.

--Philip

Shadowcat
04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
I don't think it's an application. This has happened to me before, but only when I tried writing "t." A soft reset cures the problem for awhile but it used to come back. Strange thing is that it hasn't happened to me in a long time now. It had really faded from my memory, especially with my busy schedule for the past few months. I haven't been able to reproduce this problem so I'm not exactly sure what's causing it.

Philip Colmer
04-27-2004, 10:14 PM
After doing some further installs & uninstalls, it does look like it is an application causing the problem. I've contacted the developer to discuss the matter further with them. I don't want to name the app until I've had that discussion, but it isn't anything mainstream, so I'm doing without it for now :-)

--Philip