View Full Version : Windows CE 5.0 Preview

Ed Hansberry
04-26-2004, 11:00 PM
<a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/prodinfo/future/techpreview/default.aspx">http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/prodinfo/future/techpreview/default.aspx</a><br /><br />Pocket PCs are based on Windows CE. Pocket PC 2000 and 2002 were based on CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2003/2003SE devices are based on CE 4.2. Microsoft is ready to launch Windows CE 5.0 and it is a good bet that the Mobile Device group at Microsoft has their hands on CE 5 right now.<br /><br />Windows CE 5, which has been known as Macallan, has several improvements over CE 4.x.<br /><br />• Increased Driver Support - device manufacturers can reduce their overall development time and costs with both a unified build and increased driver support.<br />• Mobile Direct3D - Macallan introduces COM-based Direct3D style programming model that is built on Microsoft DirectX® 8. This provides a smaller design of the Direct3D (D3D) API desktop implementation. <br />• Enhanced Security - With Macallan, we are continuing to build on all of the work done in previous versions of Windows CE. This includes additional network security optimizations to existing features, AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), FIPS 140-2 Level 1 certification, and Credential Manager enhancements for secure caching of credentials.<br /><br />You can read more about it at the <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/prodinfo/future/ce.net/default.aspx">Windows CE Product Roadmap page</a> and if you are a developer, you might want to get in on the preview. You'll need between 1.7GB and 14GB of hard drive space, including the Platform Builder tool set, depending on which options you install. 8O

R K
04-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Now that the climactic conclusion of the VGA saga has come to an end, what is everyone eagerly anticipating in future Pocket PCs?
Direct3D still seems like it's 10 miles away, and I'm sure SVGA won't even be heard from, until the market gets saturated with VGA Pocket PCs.

What's the next big thing on everyone's wishlist?

PJE
04-26-2004, 11:48 PM
What's the next big thing on everyone's wishlist?

Getting rid of the Stupid PocketPC only software. Software should be written for - as far as possible - all windows CE machines of a given OS level irrespective of the format of the machine.

Obviously this software needs to be optimized to run well on the current QVGA screens, but why limit the market for Windows CE by preventing software running on different WinCE systems.

My 2c

gohtor
04-27-2004, 02:43 AM
With all the news of upcoming video acceleration and vga support it's no wonder direct3d apis are available for this upcoming os.

I look forward to using it. I just hope this doesn't mean that my existing ipaq is absolutely useless in another year. ppc2002 had the best run in terms of product life cycle. ppc2003 seems to be nothing more than a phase =(

OSUKid7
04-27-2004, 02:43 AM
I sent in this news item to PPCT weeks ago (maybe months, I can never keep time straight in tech news ;)) when the CE.NET 5.0 preview was released, and it was never posted. What's up with that? :|

manywhere
04-27-2004, 06:59 AM
• Enhanced Security - With Macallan, we are continuing to build on all of the work done in previous versions of Windows CE. This includes additional network security optimizations to existing features, AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), FIPS 140-2 Level 1 certification, and Credential Manager enhancements for secure caching of credentials.
I hope that Microsoft won't do a "oopsie" and leave out that encryption part... :? That is definately something that business users of Pocket PC would appreciate, but also me too! Would be cool to be able to encrypt e.g. an email with vacation pictures and send it from a WiFi access point to my friends from vacation paradise. :D (OK, that feature is not mentioned, but couldn't be that hard to do... ?)

DarkHelmet
04-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey - here's something - why don't we have a Common Hardware Reference Platform (CHRP remember that - Apple poeple?) for the PocketPC?

I am geeting pretty sick and tired of OEMs making hardware platforms that cannot (or will not) accept the later flavors of the OS.

Here's my list of scars:
Apple Newton 100/120/130/2100
Philips Nino 300
HP Jornada 540
Audiovox PDA1032C
ViewSonic v37
Compaq iPAQ 3955

The last two can take the Windows Mobile 2003 software - but alas - no support for Windows Mobile 2003 SE...

CHRP would give us consumers some flexibility in the software marketplace - yes, I realize that it would not allow OEM to distinctly position their hardware. Apparently everyone has $600 USD to throw at the OEMs every year...

That's why my next mobile computer will NOT be a PocketPC...

(Come on - I dare you to convince me to spend more money on a PocketPC...)

Jonathon Watkins
04-27-2004, 07:18 PM
I sent in this news item to PPCT weeks ago (maybe months, I can never keep time straight in tech news ;)) when the CE.NET 5.0 preview was released, and it was never posted. What's up with that? :|

Well, I did post on the CE.NET 5.0 preview a month ago, here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26434&). It was sent in by a reader who did not ask for a credit.

All the news you guys send is appreciated! :mrgreen: We do try to mail folks if it's a duplicate of something that has already been sent in, but sometimes things can slip though the cracks. :?

jpaq
04-27-2004, 11:18 PM
I really don't care who posted it when and where. I was tooling around Microsoft's site and stumbled on it. It seemed relevant so I sent it in to the staff and they posted on it.

Jason, Ed, and group, thank you for putting up relevant information on a topic that is dear to all of us. If any of these others that seem to be preoccupied with when and where they posted this and want credit, please give it to them. I'm more interested in the info than anything else.

Thanks again for the great work that you all do.

jpaq

Ed Hansberry
04-28-2004, 02:39 AM
Jason, Ed, and group, thank you for putting up relevant information on a topic that is dear to all of us. If any of these others that seem to be preoccupied with when and where they posted this and want credit, please give it to them. I'm more interested in the info than anything else.
Thanks for the kind words. We do try to give credit where credit is due, but we blow it about 10% of the time. :)

jpaq
04-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words. We do try to give credit where credit is due, but we blow it about 10% of the time. :)

Ed,

With the intenet being the vast universe that it is, no one can know everything that was ever posted everywhere. What I sent in to the Thoughts team was what I came across while looking for some answers on Microsoft's site. I didn't ask fr credit but you offered it as matter of Thoughts practice, I guess. I didn't know that the others that have written here had posted anything anywhere and I don't really think that the Thoughts team should be expected to know everything that was ever posted on the internet either.

It is just disappointing that there are people that are more preoccupied with getting credit for a post than the value of the information at hand.

Thank you all again.

jpaq

P.S. OSUkid7 and Jonathon Watkins, more power to you. Really. You must be so proud. :roll:

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 03:45 AM
P.S. OSUkid7 and Jonathon Watkins, more power to you. Really. You must be so proud. :roll:
Relax, I don't think they meant it in that way. :)

OSUKid7, realize that the flow of news submissions varies hugely from day to day. There are days when we truly miss submissions. But, as Jonathan points out, every submission you make is truly appreciated.

--janak