View Full Version : Which Tosh - some help please

Russ
04-26-2004, 07:54 AM
My partner is considering buying a new Pocket PC and has her heart set on the beautifull VGA screens that the some Toshiba's have. So my question is simple, which one is the best to get. She will use it for writing, email and web broswing and some instant messaging. Also she would like to use it for PowerPoint presentatons. She would also like to make it the hub of her computer activities, with WiFi, a separate big screen and keyboard/mouse etc. Is this all possible with the Tosh USB hub master stuff? If you use an external monitor what sort of screen size do you get ? Can we wire up some backup storage, or is it best just to use a CF card.

Also, what is the battery life like, she is often on extended trips and really needs to be typing for several hours on end. Last but not least will Tosh issue the new WindowsMobile SE for their devices?

Thanks in advance and sorry about all the questions, I'm quite experienced in PocketPC's (XDA1/XDAII/iPaq) but a Tosh newbie.

Russ

arnage2
04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
tosh will have a free wm2003se upgrade. The external monitor will be vga. It is the best ppc!

Kevin C. Tofel
04-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Right now, you have two Toshiba choices, but they are really one and the same. The e800 and e805 are identical, except for the fact that you get slightly different software with one.....I went to Toshiba's site to get you the exact info, but they have changed their site and I can't find it....I think it was ArcSoft imaging software, but don't quote me.

With the e80x, you can do everything you described. I use mine for ebook reading, email, contacts, managing my schedule, listening to WMA\MP3's, DVD viewing (personally owned and not for distribution of course 8) ), MSN Messenger, PowerPoint viewing, Adobe acrobat viewing, personal finance (via MSN Money) and wireless web browsing. I connect to my WLAN at home via the built in 802.11b.

I don't know that I would make it the "hub" of my computer activities....I don't view it is a computer replacement, but rather an extension of my computers and network. The synch cradle does allow USB device hosting, so you could connect a USB keyboard to it. There is also a "presentation pack" that Toshiba sells for $49 here (http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=264315&coid=-27322&ccid=1291043&rcid=-26364&seg=HHO). It allows you to connect the Tosh to a projector or monitor for either 640x480 res or 800x600 res.

I would imagine you could get some external storage that is USB capable, but I don't know that you would need to. If you have large amounts of storage space on your desktop\laptop that you plan to synch to, you could transfer the data to that storage. You also have CF and SD slots.....you could add a CF microdrive which would provide up to 4GB of storage.....should be plenty for a device of that size. Smaller SD or CF cards are also available.

As indicated in the previous post, WM2k3SE is planned as a free upgrade in May. If you want full VGA compatilibity before then, there are 3rd party apps such as ResFix and MyVGA (which I recommend) to allow for that now. I run full 640x480 all of the time on my Tosh and I love it!

Hope this helps.....let us know if you have any other questions or what the decision was....best of luck!

KCT

Russ
04-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks you ARNAGE2 and especially Kevin for your very helpfull advice. I think she will probably get the "presentation pack" and a USB keyboard and we can re-use one of the monitors we already have. It's really not a replacement for a main PC, but she likes to write in the library, where they is no space for a big PC unit and this would provide the access required with a small tft monitor, keyboard and WiFi. Any recommendations for a keyboard or will any USB one do?

As for the storage, I think a back up to CF will do fine - she's paranoid about losing data - do the Tosh's have a sort of backup battery to allow you to change main batteriers ? Talking of which what is the main battery life like ?

Thanks also for the tips on the VGA stuff, I'll look out the utilities mentioned.

Russ

WindWalker
04-26-2004, 06:48 PM
As for the storage, I think a back up to CF will do fine - she's paranoid about losing data - do the Tosh's have a sort of backup battery to allow you to change main batteriers ? Talking of which what is the main battery life like ?
Russ

The e805 does NOT have a backup battery, so keep that in mind as you move forward. I have an e805 and love it, but I screwed up and removed the battery while I was on vacation.....blam, all data lost. Since then I have re-upped my Sprite Backup purchase :oops:

Main battery life is.....acceptable. It's not nearly as good as the Dell Axim X5, and this is considering that I rarely use the WiFi. But if you have access to a plug, the AC adapter makes most power issues irrelevant. It certainyl will get through the day without a problem.

I do recall reading that this Fellowes keyboard (http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=90190&cat=MOU) will work just fine with the e80x series, though I have not tested it myself.

Fishie
04-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Russ

The e805 does NOT have a backup battery, so keep that in mind as you move forward. I have an e805 and love it, but I screwed up and removed the battery while I was on vacation.....blam, all data lost. Since then I have re-upped my Sprite Backup purchase :oops:

Main battery life is.....acceptable. It's not nearly as good as the Dell Axim X5, and this is considering that I rarely use the WiFi. But if you have access to a plug, the AC adapter makes most power issues irrelevant. It certainyl will get through the day without a problem.

I do recall reading that this Fellowes keyboard (http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=90190&cat=MOU) will work just fine with the e80x series, though I have not tested it myself.

Urm the backup software on the Toshiba itself works just as well(I suspect its sprite backup anyway) so no need for that.

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 01:41 AM
It's worth pointing out there is an extended battery available, and it really makes a huge difference -- maybe 3-4 times the amount of runtime the standard battery gives (i.e., 15+ hours without WiFi). It does certainly add bulk, but I find it worthwhile.

--janak