View Full Version : Music in your car

David Prahl
04-24-2004, 11:31 PM
I realize that not everyone drives a car to work, and that not everyone listens to music in said car. Here we go anyway...

Although a geek, I listen exclusively to FM radio. How about you?

blusparkles
04-25-2004, 12:13 AM
I use the same music player no matter where I am - my 30GB iPod :D. In the car, I use an iTrip wireless FM transmitter to play my iPod over my car speakers - works extremely well 8)

Dave Beauvais
04-25-2004, 12:22 AM
On long drives I hook my iPAQ up to an FM transmitter and listen to either music or ripped books on CD. (One CD of spoken word such as an audio book is generally less than 10 MB using variable low bit rate WMA, between my 512 MB and 256 MB SD cards, I can go for quite some time. :))

My commute to work is three miles and takes ten minutes on a bad day, so I either listen to nothing or just the morning radio show.

Steven Cedrone
04-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Pocket PC for me (using FM transmitter), iPod for the wife (also using the FM transmitter)...

Steve

dh
04-25-2004, 01:37 AM
In my car I listen mainly to FM and CDs. I also like to listen to baseball, although now I live in the frozen north the only games available are RedSox. (Sorry Janak :D )

Kati Compton
04-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Have used CDs (mix ones I burn from my collection), but plan to move towards PPC/FM transmitter. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=239378#239378)

Falstaff
04-25-2004, 03:43 AM
I only listen to music with my PPC (unless I can't hook it up). My dad's car doesn't have any way for me to connect, so I have to use CDs, but I rarely use his car. My mom's car has a cassette player, and I have one of those 3.5mm audio > cassette adapters that I use. In my car, I have a post-factory radio which has a 3.5mm AUX input, so I just run a 3.5 male-male cable from PPC to radio. It works very well, and I set up the hardware buttons for next, volume up/down, and pause/play. I just keep my PPC in the center console, it is very easy for me to change the song without taking my attention off the road.

arnage2
04-25-2004, 05:31 PM
dvd audio!

Zack Mahdavi
04-25-2004, 05:31 PM
dvd audio!

I'm guessing you have the new TL?

Zack Mahdavi
04-25-2004, 05:33 PM
I mainly listen to FM in my car. I have an iPod, but I find it to be a nuisance to use in the car. You can't use the regular car controls, and there's no display on the car showing any information. Also, the sound quality is sub par as I have to use a tape adapter or an FM tuner.

My next car will have an in line audio connector next time!

Kowalski
04-25-2004, 09:25 PM
i have a huge( 25+ gb) mp3 archive but when it comes to driving i always prefer the radio. this is the spirit of driving

Janak Parekh
04-26-2004, 12:53 AM
i have a huge( 25+ gb) mp3 archive but when it comes to driving i always prefer the radio. this is the spirit of driving
What, the commercials are part of the spirit of driving? :lol:

--janak

David Prahl
04-26-2004, 03:06 AM

--janak

Local content is the kicker, I think. I can bear a few ads for car dealerships if I get a real person telling me local weather and news a few times an hour.

Kowalski
04-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Local content is the kicker
this is the point, even can be a commercial as long as beeing local.
i mean for example if it is a commercial for a shoe store it is the store that you saw the day befoure or a restourant you always stop by

that_kid
04-27-2004, 12:34 AM
In my car I have a 200 gig mp3 player that connects with my pioneer head unit. I HATE listening to commercial radio, If I wanted to hear the same song over and oever and over and over again I'd just put my player on repeat. That plus the insane dynamic compression that commercial radio stations uses make listening to the radio a punishment. Now that I have 26 day's of music in my car I rarely listen to the radio and driving from here to New Jersey every other weekend(about 700 miles round trip) I don't have to do the what state am I in radio shuffle. At home I listen to satellite radio so I know when new songs come out, then I go buy it, rip it to mp3 and put it on my 40 gig ipod, car player and file server and I'm set. If I want to hear a nice mix of house and club music I fire up the turntables and go to town.

David Prahl
04-27-2004, 01:02 AM
That plus the insane dynamic compression that commercial radio stations uses make listening to the radio a punishment.

AMEN! So many people don't realize or hear it when given an example -- glad I'm not alone here.

I work at a radio station, and we try not to over-process our feed. "In your face radio" isn't what we're going for.

that_kid
04-27-2004, 01:13 AM
You're definately not alone, I've been to some remote radio sites where I can look at the VU meters stay put during most of the song, and before it can fall between songs it get's slammed right back to it's spot. What's worse is the "in your face sound" can be found on many cd's now :(

dean_shan
04-27-2004, 02:06 AM
I just burn CD-Rs. You can not always count on radio where I live / drive. I've tried XM out. It's pretty cool but it is not available in Alaska. We're too high up and can't connect to the satellites.

Palmguy
04-27-2004, 06:21 PM
CDs 97% of the time...otherwise I plug my iPAQ into my aux input on my receiver. Only radio I listen to is Rush or Hannity (and that's unusual).

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Local content is the kicker, I think. I can bear a few ads for car dealerships if I get a real person telling me local weather and news a few times an hour.
Hmmm. For me, I seriously dislike the local content on most FM stations. About the only exception is the local classical and NPR stations, which gives at least decent amounts of programming between commercial breaks and are reasonably mellow in their delivery of news/weather content.

--janak