View Full Version : Symbol Launches Ruggedized CE 4.2 / WM2003 Devices

Jonathon Watkins
04-24-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/04/19/HNsymbol_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/04/19/HNsymbol_1.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infoworld.com/article/04...HNsymbol_1.html</a><br /><br /></div>Infoworld have a reports about the latest devices launched by Symbol: "Promising that you can drop its newest model handheld from six feet without damage, use it in the rain, and have it tumble 2,000 times from a height of 1 meter, Symbol Technologies on Monday unveiled two ruggedized Windows-based devices, the MC9000K and MC9000S. Both units include an Intel XScale 400MHz processor, VGA or mono display, 64MB of memory, a 1D laser scanner for reading UPC codes, and a combination of any three wireless modes: IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi), wide area (GSM or GPRS), and Bluetooth. List price for a VGA model with Wi-Fi is $2,895, wide area connectivity is an additional $600, and Bluetooth support an additional $150." <br /><br />Symbol are the manufactures chosen to <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=237997">supply Coca Cola</a> with 28,000 ruggedized devices, very much like this one. You can get these devices in either CE .Net 4.2 or Windows Mobile 2003 flavour. VGA or mono, hmmmmm, difficult choice there! :wink:

ctmagnus
04-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Imo, all Pocket PCs should be (even a little bit) more rugged than they are. I recently discovered that my button #5 no longer functions as it should. I took a closer look today and it appears that it took a tumble (most likely from only a few feet) in the past few weeks, landing on that corner and causing the button to not respond when pressed.

Jonathon Watkins
04-24-2004, 11:25 PM
:| Not good. They are indeed rather fragile, but where's the incentive for manufactures to improve that aspect? You break one - you buy another one = good for them. :?

Kevin Daly
04-24-2004, 11:54 PM
After checking out the Symbol site, it looks like there was an inaccuracy in the InfoWorld report: Symbol describes the display as "3.8 in. 1/4 VGA Mono or Color". So that would be QVGA.

Not surprising though, and it doesn't really detract from the usefulness of these devices.

0X

Jonathon Watkins
04-25-2004, 12:01 AM
After checking out the Symbol site, it looks like there was an inaccuracy in the InfoWorld report: Symbol describes the display as "3.8 in. 1/4 VGA Mono or Color". So that would be QVGA.

OK - cheers for that. I had wondered what if I needed a VGA AND mono screen. :wink: Rather an odd either /or choice really.

karen
04-25-2004, 12:03 AM
We just had some symbol sales reps in to show their rugged PPCs for a project I'm working on.

The sales reps, for the most part, had no clue about how to sell the PPC features to our team. I had to keep jumping in with features that would be best for the project. For instance, when one of our marketing guys asks if it were possible to show video clips on the device, the sales guy said he wasn't sure.

I whipped out my Viewsonic, cranked up the volume and showed a film from the last team camping trip. The sales guy said I was probably using third party software...I said, yeah, if you think that Windows Media Player is from a third party.

The devices are ugly, heavy, and look like the belong on a shop floor, but they will at least last through the abuse and disrespect given by 16 year old cashiers.

dh
04-25-2004, 12:17 AM
The devices are ugly, heavy, and look like the belong on a shop floor, but they will at least last through the abuse and disrespect given by 16 year old cashiers.
You are absolutly right Karen. These devices are intended to use in warehouses and factories where they get a lot of abuse. They still break though, which helps me sell a lot of service plans for them. It's amazing how many businesses have people that use a screwdriver on the touch screen, then claim it's a warranty job :D

I personally think that a more "idiot proof" device would be a better idea.

You are also right that that people selling these things, generally know nothing about mobile computing. To many it's just a scanner with a pretty screen and a few buttons.

For non-industrial applications, a lot of companies use consumer PPCs like Ipaqs. There are loads of them in hospitals and in use by sales teams for example. Symbol and other rugged devices are just an overkill for these people.

dangerwit
04-25-2004, 04:32 AM
I'll "third" the agreements here, that naturally these are for more heavy use situations, and that the salesman never know what's going on with these devices.

Sadly, Symbol has garnered a rather poor reputation at my company due to them burning us badly in the past. So, as a senior on the team, I have the delight to recommend other vendors. In fact, I should be getting 4 or 5 different, really rugged PPCs to play with, and if I do, I'll share the info. :)

(And TDS Recon will not be in there)

*Phil

Stik
04-25-2004, 02:29 PM

*Phil

Phil,

Just out of curiosity, ( and sorry Jonathon, my intent is not to derail the thread :wink: ) would you mind saying why TDS Recon will not be included in the mix you'll be testing, and if HHP scanners will be? Thanks.

Jonathon Watkins
04-25-2004, 04:13 PM

*Phil

Phil,

Just out of curiosity, ( and sorry Jonathon, my intent is not to derail the thread :wink: ) would you mind saying why TDS Recon will not be included in the mix you'll be testing, and if HHP scanners will be? Thanks.

No, that's fine - that's still - mostly - on topic. I'm curious as well.

dh
04-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Actually I don't believe that TDS Recon PPCs have built in barcode scanners or 802.11x (or any built-in wireless) so they are not too useful for many data collection projects.

I'm sure that dangerwit will be checking out the old reliables such as Handheld Products, Intermec and maybe the new Psions.

One thing to be careful of is that theses companies don't yet seem to have all the accessories available or working yet. We've been waiting for some four slot sync cradles that were ordered from HHP last year. Ones that actually work have not yet shown up. Similar items from Symbol have proven to be hard to get as well.

To be honest, we've found that sticking to PPC2002 devices is sometimes a better way to get projects finished.

Stik
04-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Actually I don't believe that TDS Recon PPCs have built in barcode scanners

dh,

Your totally correct. Thanks !