View Full Version : Pocketpc and GPS

iski
04-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows if there are pocketpc applications that integrate with gps and record data that can then be stored an a mobile device and subsequently the data can then be used and analysed.

Thanks

Pat Logsdon
04-22-2004, 11:58 PM
You'd have to get a GPS unit with datalogging functionality built-in. RoyalTek (http://www.semsons.com/roybluegmobd.html) makes one that's totally wireless (bluetooth) for $189, and Deluo (http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=BBOXGPS&Category_Code=GR) has a slightly more expensive model that requires power but features bluetooth. Both come with software for viewing the logged data.

Of the two, I'd recommend the RoyalTek.

yanathin
04-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Whoa, that RoyalTek one seems too good to be true. I was actually going to buy that HP one for my 4150 for $230, and the RoyalTek one seems to have better accuracy and battery life. But wait a minute... it doesn't come with GPS software? I guess that makes it about the same deal as HP's device, because at least the HP one comes with GPS software...

What GPS software would you recommend? I've heard of many (TomTom seems to be the most popular), but just because it's popular doesn't make it the best. I'm basically looking for one that is the easiest to understand/operate and has the most accurate and detailed maps. It would be nice if I could enter in a starting and ending location and have it draw out a course for me, too. One of those 3D views would be awesome, but not necessary if the main system is sluggish and lacking. Please give me your opinion, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

disconnected
04-23-2004, 12:24 AM
I don't know if you've seen www.gpspassion.com but they have reviews and forums for GPS hardware and PPC mapping software.

Pat Logsdon
04-23-2004, 12:50 AM
What GPS software would you recommend? I've heard of many (TomTom seems to be the most popular), but just because it's popular doesn't make it the best. I'm basically looking for one that is the easiest to understand/operate and has the most accurate and detailed maps.
I've been using Routis (http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=RSSA&Category_Code=GS) for about a year, and I highly recommend it. Very nice user interface, fast update times, and excellent re-routing. It's a steal at $89, and it'll work on both a PPC and a laptop.

It would be nice if I could enter in a starting and ending location and have it draw out a course for me, too.
That's the primary purpose of the program. You fire up your GPS and start the program. It very quickly gets the current location from the GPS (so you don't have to enter it), then you just enter the address of where you'd like to go. It maps a route for you, and displays the route on the moving map. If you go off-course, it redirects you through side streets to get you back on track. It also features voice prompts, which are in user accessible wav files. I changed all of my voice prompts here (http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html) (Audrey is quite nice :mrgreen:), but the stock voice is juts fine.

One of those 3D views would be awesome, but not necessary if the main system is sluggish and lacking.
Routis has two 3D views in addition to the standard top view. It doesn't slow the system down in the slightest.

Hope that helps!

yanathin
04-23-2004, 01:19 AM
Whoa, looks great. Hmm, how fast is the frame rate in the 3D view? I saw a demo of some other random navigation software on the internet somewhere and it went less than one frame per second. Is it really that slow on all systems, or just that particular one I saw a demo of? And one last important thing... I have my PPC mounted in my dash (not permanent, easily removable) so it can play movies in landscape mode with my car's sound system. I'm not able to rotate it the way its set up, so does Routis have a landscape mode feature? If it does, I think I might go ahead and buy it right now. Seems very promising.

Pat Logsdon
04-23-2004, 02:05 AM
I'd say the frame rate is "fast enough". I don't think it's 1 fps, but I don't think anything is. Keep in mind that if you're using it as you should, you won't be looking at it all the time, just when you need to. :wink: It keeps up just fine.

As far as landscape mode goes, I don't think it has that capability built in, but you might be able to do it using software rotation (like Nyditot), or with the native landscape mode in the upcoming WM2003 SE.

yanathin
04-23-2004, 03:11 AM
Seems to be the best choice... Would you be able to check and see if Routis 2004 works with Nyditot? That's my only concern that's left... I know TomTom wouldn't work with Nydidot since it's full screen, but it looks like Routis 2004 might be able to. If you could let me know if it works, I would really appreciate it. If you do not have Nydidot, PM me and I'll let you test it with my serial number.