View Full Version : iPAQ Audio

Kacey Green
04-22-2004, 02:06 PM
When using the iPAQ audio control panel to adjust the bass to any level above default makes most of my music sound horrible even through the headphones. For a few of my songs it can be turned up to 2 ticks from default before sounding like mud.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Details?
Solutions?

jnajera
04-22-2004, 03:38 PM
I have found ipaqs to have the best sound quality on any PPC, maybe it's your headphones. I do agree on the biult in speaker though.

Don't Panic!
04-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Never had that problem with a 38, 39 and the 22 Series iPAQ's I use. It could be because of my headphones though. I'm using Sony MDRV700DJ Professional Stereo DJ Headphones (http://www.zzounds.com/item--SNYMDRV700DJ), They've gone way down in Price since I bought mine 3 years ago.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

that_kid
04-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Also if the source music file is really loud (i.e. heavy dynamic compression) then boosting the bass will cause the digital to analog converters to be overdriven which will give you a nasty sound.

MacBriar
04-22-2004, 08:28 PM
I have to say that I have only recently started to use my 2210 as a music player and have been blown away by the sound quality, I am using 96K WMA files and cannot tell them from the CD.

I have notice that there is almost a pop between songs if I use Media Player but not in any other player

MacBriar

Kacey Green
04-23-2004, 04:34 AM
Also if the source music file is really loud (i.e. heavy dynamic compression) then boosting the bass will cause the digital to analog converters to be overdriven which will give you a nasty sound.

That's probably what it is

mredd27
04-23-2004, 11:14 AM
I agree that it is almost certainly to do with your files being encoded at a level that's too loud. I use my iPAQ regularly for music and it's bass/treble reproduction through headphones is top-notch.

Take note as well that the "iPAQ Audio" settings only affect the bass and treble of the headphone output. There's not a lot that can be done to stop PDA speakers from being so 'tinny'.

Kowalski
04-23-2004, 08:17 PM
i've never had problems, plus i like the sound quality so much and sometimes listen to music on my ipaq when i am at home to hear the "deep" sounds of complicated songs

Wiggster
04-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I was dissatisfied with the lackluster quality of the sound that came out of my iPAQ through the headphones (also with the regular speaker, but I knew that it wasn't designed to be stereo system). Then, I bought new headphones, and I was blown away how crisp and sharp everything sounded. Guess ym old headphones had a little trouble with them, but I've since bought 2 sets, and I'm now pleased that my iPAQ is my new iPOD.

Kacey Green
04-24-2004, 03:15 AM
adwignall what kind of headphones did you buy

Shadowcat
04-25-2004, 05:09 AM
This may be a weird questions, but which program do you use to play your music? I had been using Pocket Music for a long time and I loved it, but after getting their most recent update, all my music started sounding horrible if I change the base level. I've switched back to Windows Media Player and everything sounds fine. I have no idea why the new version of Pocket Music has this problem, but that's what I've found.

Kacey Green
04-25-2004, 11:23 PM
I tried pocket music the one by condiuits
i liked everyting about it but with even a slight change to the equalizer the music souned horrible. That and a problem ith the playback that locked up my iPAQ caused me to switch back to pocket WMP 9

devhen
04-26-2004, 07:41 PM
I think this problem is inherent. Even on my laptop the sound goes muddy if I use extra bass. Its a little better on my desktop but again, only so much extra bass can be added before it goes muddy. The fact is, if you want to be able to pump up the bass substantially without losing sound quality, you need a very high quality sound card and speakers. When it comes to a Pocket PC, there's nothing you could do. I keep the EQ in PocketMusic turned off and all tone/bass settings turned off in the sound control panel on my iPAQ 4155. This gives me maximum sound quality (for my device) and it acutally sounds pretty good. Your just going to have to live with it... even $100 car stereo's go muddy with extra bass. Its just the way it is... it takes a lot of wattage and good speakers to "pump up the bass"...

Kacey Green
04-26-2004, 08:46 PM
now that you mention it my Audigy 2 Platnim ZS does great with extra bass 'till you crank it up past the speakers max

I'm in the middle of upgrades, the soundcard is the most advanced peice of hardware i've got. it's running inside a p3 500MHZ homebuilt xp box

Mark Johnson
04-26-2004, 09:15 PM
I keep the EQ in PocketMusic turned off and all tone/bass settings turned off in the sound control panel on my iPAQ 4155.

Does the 4155 use a "standard" headphone jack on it or is it one of those extra-small ones you need an adapter for?

devhen
04-26-2004, 09:32 PM
I keep the EQ in PocketMusic turned off and all tone/bass settings turned off in the sound control panel on my iPAQ 4155.

Does the 4155 use a "standard" headphone jack on it or is it one of those extra-small ones you need an adapter for?

Standard

Kacey Green
05-03-2004, 01:11 AM
It seems that only a few of us suffer from these audio distortions.