View Full Version : I would like a program that keeps track of what people owe me...

Atooraya
04-21-2004, 10:24 AM
I live w/3 of my friends and we go out together and eat and sometimes i pay for their food and then they pay me back later, but lately, it's been getting hard to keep track of.

Any ideas of what i can use?

Oreocat
04-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Someone else may be able to recommend something along the lines of an expense tracker, but I'd suggest ListPro. You can set up any type of list, with any number of columns, for just about any purpose you can think of.

You could easily make a list with who you paid for, what you paid for, the date you paid, how much it was, have they paid you back, and if you might even owe someone.

ListPro is extremely versatile, and I'm not sure how an expense tracker would compare to it, but if this sounds like what you want, check into it at http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/index.html

Good luck with whatever you end up with :)

prismejon
04-21-2004, 12:19 PM
I've seen such an application. You could add all the expenses and who payed them and it would automaticly calculate how much everyone owed one another. Sorry, but I can't seem to find it..

Itanium
04-21-2004, 02:15 PM
While there could be some specific application portraying this particular usage, I would say there are many ways to do this with exisiting applications too.

A very simple solution could be an excel spreadsheet, with a couple of formulas put in to calculate sums etc. Each individual sheet in a file can correspond to each friend and there can be an overall dues sheet too. Won't be complex to setup.

Otherwise, all financial management softwares (Microsoft Money, SPB Finance, etc etc..) allows multiple accounts. Separate accounts can be made for each friend to track the indivual person's records and then these applications almost always have overall credit/debit views too. Would work just fine IMO.

Steven Cedrone
04-21-2004, 02:21 PM
IOUMate (http://www.mobimate.com/ppc/ioumate/index.shtml) does what you want. The price is kinda' steep though! ($ 19.95)

Steve

prismejon
04-21-2004, 03:47 PM
IOUMate (http://www.mobimate.com/ppc/ioumate/index.shtml) does what you want. The price is kinda' steep though! ($ 19.95)

Steve

I don't think IOUMate covers what he needs. To me it sounds like he wants an app where you can enter:
A paid $12 for a meal with himself, B and C
B paid $6 for a meal with himself and A
A borrowed $7 from C
etc.
And get output:
B owes A $1
A owes C $3

I know there is such an app, but as I said I can't find it..

jake080
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Pocket Excel!!!
Bwahahahaa!

~Jake

Ripper014
04-21-2004, 04:38 PM
What Itanium said...

An Excel spreadsheet should surfice... and if you really feel the need any financial program should allow you to setup a seperate account to track these expenses.

sublime
04-21-2004, 05:47 PM
You might be interested in the MafiaMate. It keeps a thorough list of what people owe you, calculates compound interest, and sets off alarms for outstanding balances. It also has a nifty little feature that suggests whether one of these outstanding balance holders should have their thumbs chopped off, knees broken, feet fitted for concrete blocks, etc. Tony Soprano gave it two thumbs up.

BADA BING
BADA BOOM

Kowalski
04-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Pocket Excel!!!
Bwahahahaa!
do you think that this would be handy???

Jeff Rutledge
04-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I recall seeing an application a while back that seemed to do this quite nicely. It tracked loan items as well as money. You were able to see what you owed and what was owed to you. I've been racking my brain, but can't remember the name.

Maybe someone else will read this and will know what I'm referring to.

Atooraya
04-22-2004, 04:35 AM
i think about 3 ppl are trying to figure out what it's called...

hopefully someone figures out what it's called :D

mr_yellow
04-24-2004, 12:12 AM
new->todo->"john owes me 5 bucks"

set priority accordingly.

done.

JustinGTP
04-24-2004, 06:47 AM
My Dad is very good with Excel and he drew me up a spreadsheet that calculates gas mileage and how many kilometers I use, and then I enter if I pay for gas and it tells you if I owe my parents money or if they owe me.

It works quite nice, you should see how you could use Excel, especially that you have a Pocket version! :D

-Justin.