View Full Version : My handheld is tougher than you

Aerestis
04-21-2004, 04:39 AM
A while back, I fell down and fractured the bone below my pinky, and my handheld smashed into the pavement. It got scratched sooo badly and I felt terrible. But it still turned on and functioned alright.

About a week after that, I found myself fumbling in my pocket for my device when it popped out of my pocket. I was standing on stairs, and it managed to make it down about ten steps before stopping. Well, it still worked, despite looking more terrible than ever.

Today I was listening to music and not really paying attention to things when I fumbled with my handheld. As it was about to fall, I jerked my hand downwards to catch the device, but instead I pretty much slammed it even harder into the floor.

I can't deny that if someone did this all to me, I would probably be dead. But thankfully, my handheld is way tougher than I am and it still works like a charm :D I decided that now would be a good time to stop being so clumsy though, I got worried when I heard it crunch into the floor. hehe

Has anyone else had insane luck like this? I find it exciting. I don't understand how this thing surivives though, especially since my last portable device exploded when it hit the ground. By exploded I mean parts flew everywhere :)

pacemkr
04-21-2004, 04:49 AM
What is the model of that martyr? 8O

Aerestis
04-21-2004, 04:51 AM
It's a Palm Tungsten | E

I didn't want to mention :oops:

pacemkr
04-21-2004, 05:08 AM
No wonder then. I have a Zire (the original useless grayscale Zire) that I won at school and that thing would probalby survice a drop from a third floor (well almost). I like PPCs, but I really think that palms are made tougher. I dont think my 2210 would survive a two foot drop. It just doesnt feel so tough...

Jeff Rutledge
04-21-2004, 05:10 AM
Wow! I really doubt that my 2215 would survive half of that.

On the other hand, I probably would have said the same about a Tungsten. ;)

Jason Dunn
04-21-2004, 05:17 AM
I've dropped my Pocket PCs plenty of times, never any problems. The only time I've ever damaged one was when my XDA was in my front jeans pocket, I bent over, and cracked the screen...whoops. :oops:

Mitch D
04-21-2004, 05:28 AM
MY iPaq 3830 took many a fall and as they say kept on ticking (Sorry timex) but somehow I doubt my little X3i could survive even a tenth of what my old baby went through...

Fishie
04-21-2004, 06:25 AM
My Ipaq 2215 survived a two store fall straight on concrete and NOT in a pouch or annything.

Pat Logsdon
04-21-2004, 06:33 AM
It's a Palm Tungsten | E

I didn't want to mention :oops:
Two words: Suicidal Tendencies. :mrgreen:

I never dropped my Axim or my 4150, but my e125 took a dive once. Down a flight of concrete stairs if I remember correctly. It was in a Vaja case at the time and survived unscathed. 8) Needless to say, I've had Vaja cases ever since.

Aerestis
04-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Wow, two stories? That's huge.

On the topic of who makes hardware better, I'm pretty sure it's really strongly varied. The Tungsten | E seems to be a tank, but some other palm devices aren't quite so sturdy feeling. The same goes for ppc's as well though. Have you ever picked up a device and felt it creaking if you gave it a squeeze? That's terrible. I find that a majority of the devices do that, and I really don't like it.

edit: Suicidal tendencies? haha, maybe.

Sydney Bristow
04-21-2004, 07:45 PM
*sob*

My PPC (iPAQ 4150) fell from my computer desk (about thigh-high) twice, and it survived the first one and it seemed like it survived the second one too, but weeks later I found this tiny scratch on the screen...sure, it's only a tiny one, but still!!! I'm so sad... :cry: