View Full Version : Class action lawsuit against Palm at hand??!!

jlp
04-21-2004, 12:45 AM
God knows that I'm not a vindicative person, but rather a quiet man.

But d@mit, how much I hate stupidity and deception !!

Deception especially is what I want to talk about now.

I was just looking through PalmOne site for fun and I came across their page entitled Palm OS vs. Pocket PC (http://www.palmone.com/us/products/compare/palmos-vs-pocketpc.html)

Boy this thing is full of highly and plainly deceptive information !! :evil:

Most figures are 3-4 years old!! i.e. a century in term of computing field. :bad-words:

Obviously a comparison table is made for PDA-uneducated people (and probably computer-uneducated people as well) seeking basic knowledge to take a decision based on the current state of PDA land.

And they are fed with totally inacurate and obsolete data for today. :soapbox:

Obviously enough, these people seek to buy a PDA today, so they have to and expect to find today's data. At least not more than 4-5 months old, even much less 3-4 years old. :splat:

Who could think that what you read today is not the current situation?!

So this is plain and total lies. :bangin:

I know that business means war, but even in competitive sports like boxing, if you hit below the belt you face severe penalty!! :twak:

Granted the dates are given, but as usual hidden in places most people never look: in fine print at the end of the table. :splat:

And even if the dates are given it still doesn't reflect today's situation and is therefore highly misleading and misrepresenting. :snipersmile:

If I were working in MS's law department I'd take immediate action against this unqualifyable behavior!! :deal:

0X

Ryan Joseph
04-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Wow, there's some old stuff in there. I found that surprisingly offensive. :?

That's even a dated PPC logo they're using. They should either update the information on the page or remove the page from their site. I prefer PPCs, but I'm not hostile toward Palms. But my opinion of them dropped a lot when I saw that.

And what's worse, that information is easily accessable through their Compare link! :evil:

All the more reason for us to be happy we've seen the light and turned from the Dark Side. :devilboy:

(By the way, great use of the Emoticons!)

Mitch D
04-21-2004, 01:18 AM
The webpage in question has been on Palms website for a good 4 years now and as much as I hate to admit this there was I time when I thought that it was the "holy grail" of PDA comparisons (I was sick but I am alright now :wink: ).

I am surprised that they have not updated it or removed it but I guess because they are not taking aim at any one manufacture or device other than the iPaq they figure it's ok. Just shows you how one sided the Palm vs WM2003 debate can be if you believe outdated information.

Plus when you look at the Apps available for the Palm (over 13k) all I can think of is given the fact that any untrained monkey can write a Palm app for the older POS's that is not a very impressive number.

:roll:

jlp
04-21-2004, 10:49 PM
(By the way, great use of the Emoticons!)

I too am not offensive against Palm. In fact I had one (Palm III) at the time I had a huge (but highly efficient and powerful) Newton MP 2100.

The Palm III was very pleasantly small and light in comparison, but it was only out of curiosity to test a handful of apps, but I never put some personal data into it, that was too darn messy (still is I'd bet) not only to write but it was impossible to easily access the few notes I tested it with. Imagine the nightmy it would have been to handle the 5 years of notes I had on my MP2100 (from my MP110 days thru an MP130 and MP2000).

And only after 2-3 weeks I ditched it and went back to the marvellous MP2100 which I was still using all that time to get organized (I still have the latter on my bed table 8)).

So I pretty much know what I'm talking about.

And I get very upset at these guys and their very deceptive conduct :evil:

jlp
04-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Plus when you look at the Apps available for the Palm (over 13k) all I can think of is given the fact that any untrained monkey can write a Palm app for the older POS's that is not a very impressive number.

:roll:

What's even less impressive is that it takes 15 programers to write a single Palm app :twisted: (Palm reported they had 200,000 developers and 13,000 apps; the first figure divided by the second equals more than 15 8O)

Ed Hansberry
04-22-2004, 04:33 AM
Most figures are 3-4 years old!! i.e. a century in term of computing field. :bad-words:
PalmOne webmaster is just not up to speed. At one time (less that 2 yrs ago) a new Palm and a 4 year old palm were indistinguishable in their functionality. :devilboy:

Aerestis
04-22-2004, 05:43 AM
(Palm reported they had 200,000 developers and 13,000 apps; the first figure divided by the second equals more than 15 8O)

The reason they mention the 200,000 developers is probably because people who are new to palm might not realize that the 200,000 developers have had a few years to make apps. To them it's a new world and the applications base is big now and there are 200,000 developers to make it even bigger :) It's not the truth, but I can seem them trying to misinform people with those figures. It could easily happen with a less devleopment-inclined person. They see the words and don't get it, but the big numbers are impressive I guess.