View Full Version : Samsung i600 smartphone and bluetooth

gajtguy
04-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Has anyone tried adding bluetooth to the Verizon Samsung i600 Smartphone 2002? I am looking to buy a bluetooth enabled acura tl with bluetooth handsfree. Would hate to change providers, if possible. Thanks.

Janak Parekh
04-20-2004, 03:34 PM
It's better to ask this question over at Smartphone Thoughts (www.smartphonethoughts.com). That said, to the best of my knowledge, no SDIO Bluetooth card has headset support, and I don't even know if any SDIO Bluetooth card supports Smartphones. So you're out of luck for now. :|

--janak

gajtguy
04-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Thank you. I was afraid of that. Anyway, I will also log in at Smartphone thoughts. Thanks. :roll:

Zack Mahdavi
04-20-2004, 06:16 PM
It's better to ask this question over at Smartphone Thoughts (www.smartphonethoughts.com).

Wow, I never even knew Smartphone Thoughts existed! Maybe the Thoughts Media sites need to have links to the other Thoughts Media sites. That might be useful.

Janak Parekh
04-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Wow, I never even knew Smartphone Thoughts existed! Maybe the Thoughts Media sites need to have links to the other Thoughts Media sites. That might be useful.
www.thoughtsmedia.com :D But you make a good point, and I'll pass it on to Jason.

--janak

textar
05-15-2004, 02:07 AM
I tried a Jabra headset but it doesnt seem to work with my Acura TL. Here is what Samsung said:

Thank you for your inquiry. The slot on the SCH-i600 is a true SDIO 4x slot. Any universal Bluetooth card that is compatible with an SDIO slot should work, however, we do not support the use of any 3rd party devices with our handsets. We recommend contacting the manufacturer of any 3rd party hardware you would attempt to use with your SmartPhone 2002, to see what compatibility information they can provide. You may also want to check with your provider, Verizon, for information on the use of this technology with their services as well.

We thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Technical Support
Samtech080

Have you had any luck elsewhere?

full-auto
05-20-2004, 03:56 PM
There are SDIO Bluetooth cards out there.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10335391&loc=101&hdwt=0&sp=1

Who knows if it will work with my Samsung. Next week I may buy one to see if it works. The manufacturer doesn't mention the i600 as being supported, but Samsungs email posted above seems encouraging.

As for if it will support a headset or not, I can't see why it wouldn't.

Tim

Janak Parekh
05-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Who knows if it will work with my Samsung. Next week I may buy one to see if it works. The manufacturer doesn't mention the i600 as being supported, but Samsungs email posted above seems encouraging.
I've not heard of any that have actually worked. :(

As for if it will support a headset or not, I can't see why it wouldn't.
To the best of my knowledge, the audio is on a completely different circuit than the SDIO slot.

--janak

ddbones
06-15-2004, 06:26 PM
I've actually checked with Socket communications on their SDIO card, specifically for use with a wireless headset. They indicated that the wireless headset would not work via bluetooth on the i600. I apologize, but I don't recall the specific reason, but I think it had to do with smartphone 2002 versus anything Samsung or Verizon has done. Also if I'm not mistaken, smartphone 2003 may provide the required upgrades to allow this to work!

textar
06-17-2004, 04:21 AM
I have the SDIO card but as of yet have not been able to get the program loaded onto the phone. I will have more time next week and hope to get it done then if possible. let you know.

textar
06-29-2004, 02:32 AM
Not good news.

I have tried over the last week to load the Bluetooth program onto my i600 but it does not seem to work. i have the setup files on my laptop and try to get it loaded via activesync and it goes through the motions but it does not load. i have to believe that the lack of drivers issue is in play here but just dont know enough about the OS or phone to get around the problem. i am planning to keep the card until the new smartphone OS comes out (assuming i will be able to load it onto the phone).

Are there any other options??????????????????