View Full Version : Merging Palm Desktop info with Outlook

dkon
04-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Hello and thanks in advance for any help you might have. I have seen similar posts but none that match my situation exactly.

Just converted from a Palm to a Pocket PC. The long and short of it is I have a Palm Desktop loaded with info including contacts in multiple categories and I also have MS Outlook equally loaded with key info. I'm trying to import my Palm info to Outlook in the form of a merge (not an overwrite) and I can't figure out what to do.

I tried exporting/importing comma separated databases, vCards, etc with no luck.

I just downloaded PocketMirror but I'm not sure if I should use it or how. I also heard that I can do all this online via Yahoo but it all sounds a bit sketchy...

Can anyone please help me? Much appreciated!!!

David :?:

Steven Cedrone
04-20-2004, 03:46 AM
As with anything else, make a backup of both your Palm Desktop files and your Outlook .pst file. Then, go ahead and load Pocket Mirror. Have the Palm sync to Outlook (make sure you choose "sync" in options not "handheld overwrites desktop" or "desktop overwrites Palm") When you are done, the Palm should have everything from Outlook including your Palm data, and Outlook should have the same. Then sync your Pocket PC. Good luck! If you have any problems, post here...

Steve

dkon
04-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks very much for this tip but I'm wondering if this could be done a bit differently.

I have already disconnected my Palm cradle and all that. Can't I just migrate my Palm Desktop data to Outlook via some kind of export? Pocket Mirror, etc? I was never Synching my Palm with Outlook, just Palm Desktop, this is the porblem. If I could just get that Palm data over to Outlook I'll be in fat city!

Thanks very much!

David

dkon
04-20-2004, 04:15 PM
I whipped out my Palm craddle ready to do the Sync from Palm to Outlook but can't see anywhere in the Palm software where "Sync with Outlook" is an option. Again, if I can just migrate the data from Palm Desktop this would be best but I am game to any option really...

THANKS AGAIN!

David

Steven Cedrone
04-20-2004, 06:15 PM
You have to use the Pocket Mirror app. It will list the options for syncing to Outlook. Like I said, sync the Palm, to Palm desktop, then sync the Palm to Outlook. Just make sure you take care with the options.

Steve

Mark Kenepp
04-20-2004, 06:17 PM
The option to sync your Palm with Outlook is given when you install the Desktop software for the Palm. If you have already installed palm Desktop, I think that you can just install Pocket Mirror. You will then be given the choice as to which items you would like to sync with Outlook.

As for transferring your data from Palm Desktop, Unless the newer versions of Palm Desktop are different, you will only be able to export your Contacts, possibly your notes and tasks. I am pretty sure that you cannot export calendar information from the Palm Desktop.

dkon
04-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Ok I did it but here's how. I Exported all contacts in address book groups from the Palm Desktop in a Comma Deliniated format to a file - than I imported each file into Outlook.

This whole thing would have been WAY easier if you were able to export multiple Vcards at one time out of the Palm Desktop and to Outlook.

Thanks to Mark and Steve for your help. Both were good tips.

David

Steven Cedrone
04-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Ok I did it but here's how. I Exported all contacts in address book groups from the Palm Desktop in a Comma Deliniated format to a file - than I imported each file into Outlook.

This whole thing would have been WAY easier if you were able to export multiple Vcards at one time out of the Palm Desktop and to Outlook.

Thanks to Mark and Steve for your help. Both were good tips.

David

The only problem I had with this (and the reason why I didn't recomend it) is, because the way things are stored on the palm, once exported, some phone numbers will be lined up to be imported into the wrong Outlook field (depending on how many numbers each of your contacts has)...

Steve