View Full Version : dvd to ppc format

enaime
04-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Ok, I have figured out how to encode a dvd to play on my ipaq 4150 following the directions on BIGD's website (great instruction for beginers like myself).
Now my question for someone who knows about this subject is: if I start with a widescreen dvd and rip it using smart ripper. then I use DVD2AVI to convert the .vob files to an .avi format, and finally TMPGEnc to get the mpeg movie. From here I use Windows Media Encoder to get my .wmv file.
During this long process I am just using all the default settings that these programs provide.
1. I would like to know if there are any settings that can be changed in either DVD2AVI or TMPGEnc to convert the widescreen movie into a full screen without distorting the picture?
2. With the new ipaq 4150 I can run at higher than 15 fps, but I would like to find out if there will be a big advantage to run at a higher fps rating, and what is optimal fps?
3. The video can also run higher than the default kbps but obviously it makes a larger file, so what is a good compromise kbps for good video without a huge file?
Im sorry to ask so much it just seems like this is really cool stuff that I want to try to learn about. Thanks for anyone who can help!

Spiral
04-19-2004, 09:32 AM
If you want to try out Divx via Pocket MVP. This is a very good proram that would simplify what you're doing. http://divx.ppccool.com/

It allows coding of (unencrypted i believe) .vob files straight into avi in divx or xvid format with audio of mp3 or ogg, which can be played back on Pocket MVP. It also allows for clipping/rotation/bitrate/framerate/audio rate.

btw, using your method, going from MPEG-1 to WMV probably loses a lot of quality, since mpeg-1 is far from the best video codec, especially for storing video before converting to another format.

arnage2
04-19-2004, 12:34 PM
use dvd to ppc, or some other conversion software on handango.com to have better quality, and at times smaller files.

enaime
04-19-2004, 07:27 PM
so should I just give up on the windows media player and use mvp. Is there a huge difference, cause Im just thinking its more memory I have to give up to install mvp. but, if its worth it I can definitely do it. can someone tell me if its worth me switching over to a new video player?

Ripper014
04-19-2004, 07:46 PM
PocketMVP has always been my video player of choice. I have more control over creating my files... and the output quality and size of them in my humble opinion. It may seem a little difficult on the first few go arounds... however after the first few times it becomes a piece of cake.

VirtualDUB and PocketMVp make for a great pairing...

enaime
04-19-2004, 10:50 PM
so does anyone know a link or tutorial on how to go from a dvd to ppc format that will play in pocket mvp. if not, can anyone give me a quick rundown on the process?

Spiral
04-19-2004, 11:21 PM
use PocketdivxEncoder (link in earlier post) and load the .vob files into the encoder and it should work. Or you might need a decryption program for some dvd's, can't help you on the latter part.

Ripper014
04-20-2004, 01:47 AM
enaime...

You have already learned most of the process. Once in the avi format... all you need to do is to convert it to DivX... (which is an avi file).

I like to use VirtualDUB and you should be able to find a lot of guides for the process if you search the web. If you have a problem finding one... go here...

http://www.corecodec.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=index&c=8

enaime
04-21-2004, 12:13 AM
thanks for the link, I will try this. im sure your experienced with MVP and divx quality video, is it that much better that I can totally move away from wmv file types? How is divx on memory, does it take about the same memory space? In other words can i fit a full length 2 hour movie on a 256MB card (maintaining good quality)?

maikii
04-24-2004, 06:52 PM
so does anyone know a link or tutorial on how to go from a dvd to ppc format that will play in pocket mvp. if not, can anyone give me a quick rundown on the process?

Look at web sites like www.doom9.org and www.dvdrhelp.com, which have a lot of tutorials and guides on this kind of thing, software downloads (mostly freeware), etc.

I would recommend AutoGordianKnot, which you can find on those sites, as one easy way to go from DVD to DIVX in one step.