View Full Version : "unique names"

[Fe]dragon
04-17-2004, 03:02 AM
Hi,

I did the newest 5550 ROM update the other day, and have been fighting with this problem since.

I want to use the same "name" for my ipaq that I used before the update. I unistalled activesync and deleted the folder, deleted the remaing "my documents". After hard resetting the device and setting it up (owner info/device name/ etc.....) I dock it. Start installing activesync, it gets to the part about the unique name and when it finds the name, I hit next, it says that the name is already in use.

How do I clear this data??

I've just unistalled activesync before to rid this problem, but after 10 hard resets of my ipaq, and installing/uninstalling just as many, I still have the unique name problem.

Please help!!

Janak Parekh
04-17-2004, 06:21 AM
When you start AS on your desktop, does it list the name of the device? If so, choose File, Delete Partnership.

Otherwise, some registry editing may be in order... :|

(In the future, Delete Partnership is all you have to do -- no reinstall...)

--janak

[Fe]dragon
04-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Ahhh, thanks for the trick to not hard reset.

However.... that only helps when they are paired......right now, there are no partnerships. But when I try and use a name that I had used it says it's arleady in use :cry:

Jeff Rutledge
04-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I've had this problem as well. I don't think it went away even after uninstalling AS. I think I ended up biting the bullet and renaming my device. It wasn't a big deal really as I only had to move my Sync'd files folder over.

QYV
04-17-2004, 09:51 PM
I had this problem a long time ago, and I solved it by deleting files that were left behind for some reason when I uninstalled ActiveSync (though, like you, it took me a long time and much trial and error to figure out that was the problem). Look here first:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles

...and make sure nothing with the old name is still there. If that doesn't work, try searching your hard drive for the old name and seeing if you find anything. When it happened to me, I started with the registry and it didn't work, so do check for the files first before hacking around in the registry.

[Fe]dragon
04-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Well I've now tried three names.

Still haven't gotten a full sync :evil:

I don't have the folder:

\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles

Steven Cedrone
04-18-2004, 04:12 PM
dragon]\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles

Application Data directory is a hidden folder! You must tell windows to display hidden files and folders...

Steve

[Fe]dragon
04-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Thanks!!

I feel silly now...

I guess with all the activesync fustration something simple like "hidden files" was the last thing I was thinking about :oops:

Well, deleted all three names, unistalled AS, rebooted, reinstalled and everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks a million, you guys are great.