View Full Version : Most Unwired College Campuses

Pat Logsdon
04-17-2004, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/unwiredcolleges.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.intel.com/products/mobil...redcolleges.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"Intel's "Most Unwired College Campuses" survey ranks the top 100 [U.S.] schools for wireless computing access. The survey reveals a growing number of schools across the country where students have the freedom to wirelessly access the Internet on notebook PCs <i>[or Pocket PCs -PL]</i> - without a traditional wired connection - and stay connected and informed whether they're in the dorm room, library or outdoors at the campus quad."<br /><br />The top five colleges are:<br />•Indiana University - Bloomington, Indiana<br />•Purdue University - West Lafayette, Indiana<br />•The University of Texas at Austin - Austin, Texas<br />•Case Western Reserve University - Cleveland, Ohio<br />•Dartmouth College - Hanover, New Hampshire<br /><br />"The "Most Unwired College Campuses" survey findings are based on the number of hotspots, the number of undergraduates, number of computers and the computer to student ratio. The results were also based on the percentage of each college campus that is covered by wireless technology. The data was collected from university interviews and documents, and a variety of industry sources."<br /><br />I live near the <a href="http://www.claremont.edu/">Claremont Colleges</a> in California, where there are five undergraduate and two graduate schools on adjacent campuses. Walking my dog through the grounds several months ago revealed that most of the colleges were covered with a patchwork of WiFi networks with surprisingly few dead spots. Of the seven schools, two appear on this list: Harvey Mudd College at #21, and Pomona College at #82. How does your school stack up?

jake080
04-17-2004, 04:29 AM
Go UT Austin campus!!! cough cough, and baylor and trinity
lol

arebelspy
04-17-2004, 05:32 AM
My school, Cal Poly, isn't on their. :)

-arebelspy

ChuckyRose
04-17-2004, 05:46 AM
I went to Pomona College and graduated in 2002. They were just starting their wireless access plans. It's good to see that they're doing pretty well. I'm kinda surprised that Harvey Mudd isn't higher on the list....They already had a lot of coverage when I was going there.

ChuckyRose

Jon Westfall
04-17-2004, 06:02 AM
WooHoo - UA is at #7 - Go Zips (See Avatar for Zippy the Kangaroo). Sadly, I'll be going to The University of Toledo in the fall for graduate school, and they aren't on the list at all. Have to keep teaching at UA to keep the wireless access!

Falstaff
04-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Sweet, both the schools I'm looking at are on there! CMU is #6, but Wash. U in St. Louis is only #53, :( Some of the other results surprised me, MIT at #26, RIT at #98, GIT at #100, Cal-Tech not even on the list? A lot of the schools on there are liberal arts schools, I would have expected the engineering schools to be higher, anyone else find the results a little odd? Ohh, and does anyone know of a list of most technologically advanced schools? Thanks

KenClunk
04-17-2004, 06:15 AM
I do not attend Case, but have been there many times. It is a niiiccceeee campus. Its unbelievable how modern everything is.

mhskateboarder
04-17-2004, 06:23 AM
wow, my school (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) is number 23. that's cool considering i use it every day. :)

pschultz
04-17-2004, 06:32 AM
One thing that could hurt some schools is the fact that the results were partially based upon the number of undergraduates, number of computers and the computer to student ratio.

sheltem
04-17-2004, 06:32 AM
unsurprisingly, my school SUNY Albany ISNT on there :( But u get what u pay for

Willmonwah
04-17-2004, 07:06 AM
My school, Rutgers Unversity, is not on their either. We're expanding the wifi zones. This is a measure of what doesn't quite stack up. Here's what's wireless:
7 libraries
5 campus centers (student unions)
6 other buildingsWe're a work in progress.

EDIT: BTW, our CS buildings are wireless as well.

Wiggster
04-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Woah, the got UT at Austin but not UTDallas? EVERY building on this campus has wifi, and every apartment on campus has WiFi, and even the soccer fields have WiFi. 98% of the used grounds have at least one WAP to connect to. I went to UT, and hardly got a WiFi connection anywhere, with a bad connection around all the CS classrooms.

Hmmph.

Paul
04-17-2004, 07:45 AM
UT Austin has great coverage considering the size of the campus.
You can see here (http://www.utexas.edu/its/network/wireless/coverage/index.html)

I use it a lot, very convenient.

Zack Mahdavi
04-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Go UT Austin campus!!! cough cough, and baylor and trinity
lol

Absolutely! :)

Zack Mahdavi
04-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Woah, the got UT at Austin but not UTDallas? EVERY building on this campus has wifi, and every apartment on campus has WiFi, and even the soccer fields have WiFi. 98% of the used grounds have at least one WAP to connect to. I went to UT, and hardly got a WiFi connection anywhere, with a bad connection around all the CS classrooms.

When did you last go? I'm a CS major myself, and both CS buildings have amazing wireless internet access.

krypticide
04-17-2004, 07:58 AM
I go to MIT, and was surprised at our ranking. Then I realized that while pretty much all our classrooms and labs are covered on campus, some dorms (except the new ones) haven't yet been refitted. Otherwise, I'm quite happy at the coverage that we have. I once sat in a van on Mass Ave. and happily chatted away on AIM.

Wiggster
04-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Well, guess it was at the end of last summer, right when I got my PDA. Maybe it was my cell phone causing interference or something :wink:

CodeSurge
04-17-2004, 09:53 AM
When did you last go? I'm a CS major myself, and both CS buildings have amazing wireless internet access.

You're referring to PAI and TAY/ACES, right?

OneAngryDwarf
04-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Creighton U #49 baby!!! Yeah!!! Of course I've known this all along as I haven't had to actually pay attention in class for the past 2 years. You can thank that ranking... All I do is sit on my PPC and surf the internet and talk on AIM/MSN/ICQ... I may not know what my professors are talking about but I sure as hell know what the Dow is at during class... Go Jay's!!!!!!!!!!

DaleReeck
04-17-2004, 02:06 PM
unsurprisingly, my school SUNY Albany ISNT on there :( But u get what u pay for

...but the school where I work, SUNY at Buffalo, is there at #30 :D

orol
04-17-2004, 04:06 PM
hm I was at Cal campus for a while (at haas school of business to be exact) but the wifi coverage was great. the whole campus was covered regardless of faculcy & school. there was good signal even inside buildings! the only exception was international house which had wifi only in cafe and it was the t-mobile hotspot but the i-house was "wired" pretty well

Zack Mahdavi
04-17-2004, 04:56 PM

You're referring to PAI and TAY/ACES, right?

Well, I really meant Taylor and ACES. Painter isn't so much of a CS building, although two of the CS labs are in that building. Those labs have really good WiFi reception but the building in general stinks.

prismejon
04-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Anyone who knows how the coverage is at University of California, Santa Barbara? I'm going there next year as a foreign exchange student.

Wiggster
04-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Anyone who knows how the coverage is at University of California, Santa Barbara? I'm going there next year as a foreign exchange student.
My brother's there (as a TA/research assistant/grad student), and he doesn't seem to know. Despite his brand-new Centrino laptop, I believe he has no WiFi. And he never leaves his office, so I doubt he'd be much help even if he had a card.

And when you take Physics, don't get Brian Wignall as your TA :wink:

Steven Cedrone
04-18-2004, 04:16 AM
Hey! My school just placed a WAP in the library! I guess that means we own the bottom of the list! :wink:

Steve

prismejon
04-18-2004, 11:01 AM
My brother's there (as a TA/research assistant/grad student), and he doesn't seem to know. Despite his brand-new Centrino laptop, I believe he has no WiFi. And he never leaves his office, so I doubt he'd be much help even if he had a card.

Hehe, luckily I'm finished with my Physics classes :). Is he a CS grad-student?

dave
04-18-2004, 11:21 PM
hoosiers in the hizouse.

Wiggster
04-18-2004, 11:39 PM

Hehe, luckily I'm finished with my Physics classes :). Is he a CS grad-student?

Nope, a Physics grad student. Hence the teaching of a physics class :wink:

lipinski77
04-19-2004, 01:06 PM
I am glad to see my alma mater is number 2 on the list. Go Boliermakers. :rock on dude!: My alumni donations went to a good cause.