View Full Version : Names or SSID

thunderck
04-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Many us have been WarDriving or just close to neighbors that have not a clue or are just in a sharing mood. :wink: I think it is funny when you see SSIDs like 'donthackme' or 'ihaveagun'. :lol: There are others but they cannot be posted here. :oops: Does anyone else do this or see it being done?

dhettel
04-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Seems to me that your two examples come very close to a threat. In my town, just showing a gun was consider a threat. It just became legal for us to care a concealed weapon so I'm not sure how this will effect things.

But back to my point, threating over the air waves is a federal crime, they could be guilty of a crime.

thunderck
04-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Well as you see I'm from the 100 acre wood so it is very illegal. :wink:

thunderck
04-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Those SSID were some I have come a crossed. :roll:

CoreyJF
04-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Seems to me that your two examples come very close to a threat. In my town, just showing a gun was consider a threat. It just became legal for us to care a concealed weapon so I'm not sure how this will effect things.

But back to my point, threating over the air waves is a federal crime, they could be guilty of a crime.

For a statment to be concidered at threat, it would have to be directed, or have an implication of being directed. It would be no more illigeal to have that as your ssid then to have a sign in your window, "premises projected by firearms." Not illegal, atlleast not in the US. Showing a gun and making a notice that you have a gun in your home are two extreemly different things.

dhettel
04-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Hmm No idea what 100 acre wood means. :?: Other than a suggestion of trespass perhaps?

Personally I've never come across a name inviting me in, or warning me away.

I have come across some that to my mind suggest an illegal active may be going on, or had there. That kind of seems dumb to me.

Wiggster
04-16-2004, 06:53 PM
100 Acre Woods is a reference to an old A. A. Milne book that became quite popular under Disney: A A Milne.

And Corey is dead on. If the SSID was "IWillShootYou", then it may stand up in court as a threat. But since it's either a lie or a statement of truth, it's harmless.

There are(literally) over 300 WAPs within half a mile of me (three guesses who goes to a college with lots of CS and EE majors). I haven't come across any interesting ones, except for the one that's a floor below me: it's called something to the effect of "Coppulate You", but all caps, one word.

dhettel
04-16-2004, 07:07 PM

For a statment to be concidered at threat, it would have to be directed, or have an implication of being directed. It would be no more illigeal to have that as your ssid then to have a sign in your window, "premises projected by firearms." Not illegal, atlleast not in the US. Showing a gun and making a notice that you have a gun in your home are two extreemly different things.

I guess we get into a gray area there. As I see it an SSID is directed, the average Joe passing by will not see it or be aware of it. Only a limited subset of a number of people will be aware of it. I could walk by with a PPC 2002 device and not see it. I could even walk by with a WM2003 device and not see it. But having a WM2003 with WLAN turn on, may get me this message. That seems to me very directed, or targeted to a very small group of users. To my mind NOT like a sign in the window.

Granted I'm not a lawyer. But to my simple little mind, that's a lot more like standing on your porch, and watching people walk by your home. And only calling out to ones with a red skirt "I have a GUN", or only to some other group of people you have a gun. Than posting a sign in a window warring all your property is protected by a gun.

Again granted if this is all you do, you are unlike to have a problem. But if you happen to come to attention, this may set you up for other problems or be use as an excuse.

thunderck
04-16-2004, 07:14 PM
I think the courts need a test case. :D Any takers :?:
It is probably some kid that does not even have a gun, therefore it would be a lie and the threat would not apply.

But I agree but if you did hurt somebody the traction from your SSID would not help.

Wiggster
04-16-2004, 07:17 PM
I think it's more like posting a sign that says "J'ai un pistolet" in your window. It's stating you have a gun, but not everyone can read it. It's just a simple statement, even an advisory. Just because many people won't see the statement doesn't mean it's directed.

Besides, how many of you ever ever been walking down a dark alley, only to find yourself getting mugged by a Wireless router? :wink:

thunderck
04-16-2004, 07:20 PM
It is like the "Beware of Dog" sign.... :wink:

Wiggster
04-16-2004, 07:32 PM
That would make a good SSID.

dhettel
04-16-2004, 07:35 PM
I think it's more like posting a sign that says "J'ai un pistolet" in your window. It's stating you have a gun, but not everyone can read it. It's just a simple statement, even an advisory. Just because many people won't see the statement doesn't mean it's directed.

Besides, how many of you ever ever been walking down a dark alley, only to find yourself getting mugged by a Wireless router? :wink:

LOL well I can think of a few people who think their wireless router robbed them! When trying to get their PocketPC to connect to it. Not sure if that is related.

As to it being **just** a simple statement, that's what a lot of home owners who have a dog thought when they posted a sign like, Warning dog on property. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it will not be used against you.

Again just because it is in a foreign language doesn't make it directed. Especially when the language is a major language that many people may speak. However, try that with an obscure dialect, that only a limited number of people speak, and one happens to live on your street, and you might be in for a surprise.

thunderck
04-16-2004, 07:36 PM
That would make a good SSID.

ahhh yes it would :lol:

thunderck
04-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Still funny but better CYA :!: