View Full Version : Rumour: Toshiba e830 Coming in July?

Jason Dunn
04-16-2004, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpctools.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1536' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpctools.com/module...iewtopic&t=1536</a><br /><br /></div>"A PocketPC Tools member has received an email from Surcouf.com, a French online retailer, that informs their customers that the Toshiba e800 is discontinued and cannot be restocked. The email goes on to give details about the next generation Toshiba to replace it, the e830. According to SURCOUF the e830 has the following specifications as per Toshiba France: <br /><br />• PXA270 (520 MHz) <br />• WiFi & Bluetooth <br />• 4" VGA screen <br />• 128 MB RAM, 64 MB ROM..."<br /><br />Interesting, and quite believable - those specs are a natural evolution from the e800. Sounds tasty! Maybe even enough for me to forget how Toshiba burned me by not offering a e310 upgrade... :roll:

Jonathon Watkins
04-16-2004, 12:15 AM
Hmmm and they go and offer upgrades to the e805. :?

The specs on this look VERY nice indeed - just what I'm looking for. :!:

It's going to be hard weighing up the e740 and e310 support disappointments, versus the specs of this device and Toshiba's apparent newfound commitment to support.

Choices, choices.... :?:

(We like choice, choice is good!) :wink:

johncruise
04-16-2004, 12:15 AM
based from your trip... can any of you guys confirm on this e830 {bleep}{bleep}? How about just a small glimpse of when are we expecting to see some "new" hardware specs/software release?

Glisson
04-16-2004, 12:19 AM
I love the sound of the e800 and any new bigger badder PPC. I do not however like the idea of spending money with a company that will make my model obsolete before I wear out my first screen protector. OK so I use Writeshields and that takes a really really long time but you get the idea.

Is some expectancy of shelf life unreasonable?

Glisson

jkendrick
04-16-2004, 12:29 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by obsolete. The release of newer models doesn't make any PPC obsolete. They still perform like they did when purchased. There's a lot of e740s still in user's hands that function fine.

atsouch
04-16-2004, 12:43 AM
I think it's time to dump my Jornada...

Tierran
04-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Yep, I wish I had my e740 updated to WM2k3 but its hardly obsolete, I still love what it does (which is why I bought it in the first place). Technology has always been like that...if you buy the best today, its nothing tommorrow. Who cares about that though?

The support issue is more serious, but Jason, don't you think Toshiba has taken some good strides towards restoring that consumer faith? I mean honestly, what PPC manufacturer at this point has a spotless record on service. HP is good but they're far from perfect either.

The e800 series looks to be getting another killer addition

Jacob
04-16-2004, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by obsolete. The release of newer models doesn't make any PPC obsolete. They still perform like they did when purchased. There's a lot of e740s still in user's hands that function fine.

Exactly.

You can expect a good shelf-life, but you can't expect for the company to make sure you have the latest and the greatest.

buckyg
04-16-2004, 12:54 AM
I'm more partial to iPAQs but if HP doesn't come up with something comparable w/ VGA in the near future, Toshiba's starting to look more tempting.

Jonathon Watkins
04-16-2004, 12:55 AM
I think it's time to dump my Jornada...

Ah, but will the e830 come with a built in screen protector/flip screen? :wink:

I'm more partial to iPAQs but if HP doesn't come up with something comparable w/ VGA in the near future, Toshiba's starting to look more tempting.

And how long do you think it will be before HP leak/announce news of thier VGA devices? :D

dh
04-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Hmmm......
I've been seriously thinking of buying the Zaurus SL860 because I'm getting bored with PPC. I hate the thought of giving up my nice PPC apps though, so this Tosh might be the solution.
The Zaurus is still tempting I must admit, much nicer hardware than anything in the PPC camp so far.

Kevin C. Tofel
04-16-2004, 01:12 AM
I wonder what the price will be.....I just purchased my e805 for $550 after rebate. With the addition of BT and the new processor, does anyone expect this to go for $600 or more? With the discontinuation of the e80x, perhaps they will offer the new model for the same price. This could lead to some good buys on any "leftover" e800's and 805's.....

It seems funny to call my PPC that's less than 2 months old a "leftover".....

KCT

Deltrevan
04-16-2004, 01:32 AM
It seems Toshiba is absolutely serious about competing heavily (taking over?) the PPC market.

GO TOSHI!!! :mrgreen:

kaitanium
04-16-2004, 02:30 AM
looks as if the asus a730 will get some competition. id go for the asus since im scared of toshibas support

Falstaff
04-16-2004, 02:31 AM
I wonder what the price will be.....I just purchased my e805 for $550 after rebate. With the addition of BT and the new processor, does anyone expect this to go for $600 or more? With the discontinuation of the e80x, perhaps they will offer the new model for the same price. This could lead to some good buys on any "leftover" e800's and 805's.....

On PocketPCTools, the page says that it will have an initial price in France of 500 Euros, which is about 600 USD.

I love this device already. I thought the 805 was the best device out there, and the only other thing I thought they could have added to make it better was bluetooth, looks like Toshiba thought that too. I can't wait for this to hit the market, I just need to get the $600 to spend....

Jason Dunn
04-16-2004, 02:34 AM
based from your trip... can any of you guys confirm on this e830 {bleep}{bleep}?

This is the first I've heard of this device - no info about this was given at the MVP Summit.

arnage2
04-16-2004, 02:38 AM
am i ever allowed to keep a pda for more than afew months!

Jason Dunn
04-16-2004, 02:39 AM
The support issue is more serious, but Jason, don't you think Toshiba has taken some good strides towards restoring that consumer faith? I mean honestly, what PPC manufacturer at this point has a spotless record on service. HP is good but they're far from perfect either.

Yeah, that's the unfortunate truth - so far the only OEM that hasn't stuck it to their customers is Viewsonic...but they don't have very impressive hardware. What's a geek to do? 8O

Jonathon Watkins
04-16-2004, 02:45 AM
looks as if the asus a730 will get some competition. id go for the asus since im scared of toshibas support

Only thing about that, is that it has a camera. Big no-no.

What's the point of putting a camera in a PPC, as you often won't be allowed to take it into work with you.

Spiral
04-16-2004, 02:47 AM
a730 (if it uses a 3.7") screen has the advantage over any 4" VGA ppc of being quite a bit smaller. The current VGA models are a little on the big side.

Jonathon Watkins
04-16-2004, 03:03 AM
a730 (if it uses a 3.7") screen has the advantage over any 4" VGA ppc of being quite a bit smaller. The current VGA models are a little on the big side.

That's fine by me. I want the 4 inch screen anyway. I have an X5 and am very happy with the size, so it's not a problem.

dangerwit
04-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Yep, that's why I always carry around my Podzilla. :)

Serioiusly, the new Toshiba (if true) sounds amazingly tempting. I'd be willing to risk it myself, esp. for a $600 price point.

*Phil

disconnected
04-16-2004, 03:27 AM
I'm on my fourth iPAQ, and I can't even count the number of sleeves, AC adapters, auto adapters, battery extenders, etc. that I have, so I'd really like to stay with an iPAQ, but unless HP releases a model with a 4" screen and CF slot, I think I might finally be tempted away by Toshiba -- if it really had both WiFi and Bluetooth; if they added GPS it would really push me over the edge (I have a bluetooth GPS for driving, but an internal one would be great for walking).

imagine
04-16-2004, 03:29 AM

I think you meant VGA model, without the 's', since there is only one available in north america, and that is the toshiba e800. When will these new ppc's start to come out??? I've been patient for so long, I'm hoping they will come to NA in June at the latest.

Craig Horlacher
04-16-2004, 03:56 AM
If it has all the e800 features...namely:
cf type II
mm/sdio slot
32MB non volital storage built in

Then I'm sold!

jkendrick
04-16-2004, 04:00 AM
The model # e830 would indicate the form won't change much from the e800. That would mean SD & CF slots + 32 MB Flash ROM

imagine
04-16-2004, 04:08 AM
Let's see wait and see what HP is going to unveil...I mean, with both the future asus and toshiba having dual slots, dual wireless, and vga, its gotta have these features too, right? I hope HP will make something better, because of its success before with the 4150 and 3190.

jimski
04-16-2004, 04:25 AM
I was thinking of something smaller than my 5450 but.......think i'm buyin' a Toshiba. :lol: Now if they would just release that portable Bluetooth keyboard I could really leave that laptop behind on my next trip.

jkendrick
04-16-2004, 04:25 AM
I was thinking of something smaller than my 5450 but.......think i'm buyin' a Toshiba. :lol: Now if they would just release that portable Bluetooth keyboard I could really leave that laptop behind on my next trip.

IR keyboard from Stowaway works perfectly, too. :)

imagine
04-16-2004, 04:36 AM
ASUS A730 > Toshiba e830 because Asus has a much better reputation, plus toshiba has, and might continue to have, bad support for PDA's. Plus, the toshiba is HUGE with the 4" screen. The 3.7" screen is better IMO, just because it wont be so big in your hand.

lanwarrior
04-16-2004, 05:09 AM
ASUS A730 > Toshiba e830 because Asus has a much better reputation, plus toshiba has, and might continue to have, bad support for PDA's. Plus, the toshiba is HUGE with the 4" screen. The 3.7" screen is better IMO, just because it wont be so big in your hand.

How do u know Asus has better reputation in PDA? I am just wondering, since service for Asus laptops has been crap from my experience in Singapore, Indonesia, USA and Hong Kong. (I used to manage satellite offices in these countries)

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/2350.html

They said that the a730 will have BT ONLY for the first production, then the BT & WiFi will come out at later time.

arnage2
04-16-2004, 05:25 AM
the a730 is supposed to be really small

Gremmie
04-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Per a previous post of mine, CompUSA has discontinued the Toshiba e800. Usually this comes at the cusp of a future release in the near future.

ziad
04-16-2004, 09:59 AM
based from your trip... can any of you guys confirm on this e830 {bleep}{bleep}?

This is the first I've heard of this device - no info about this was given at the MVP Summit.

It is supposed to launch in July, I had a confirmation, but in no way the announcement has to be made months before. This will clearly slow the sales down ...

RobMtl007
04-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Greetings Everyone:

Does anyone find this strange that a retailer in France has the scope on a new PDA from Toshiba.
I would agree it to be true if Toshiba would make a statement.
Although the time frame for July release seems to be right.
From other models of Toshiba, they seem to come out with new models every 6 to 8 months.
regards Robert

dochall
04-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Greetings Everyone:
Does anyone find this strange that a retailer in France has the scope on a new PDA from Toshiba.

Not really most of these companies are based on a country by country basis. It doesn't take much for one guy in the Paris office to make a mistake when replying to an enquiry from a supplier about why they couldn't get hold of any more e800's. It may be that the mail was sent not for public consumption and the reltailer hasn't noticed or doesn't care.

Deltrevan
04-16-2004, 03:46 PM
The current VGA models are a little on the big side.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I disagree. I like the heft and size of the newer models. The larger, heavier units seem easier to hold to me.

Besides, when you drop $600 on something...you wanna feel like you got something in your pocket to show for it! :D

Kathy_Harris
04-16-2004, 04:39 PM
I went from a 1910 (that I always slipped in my pocket) to the e805 and appreciate all that Toshiba has given me. I am an avid Ipaq supporter (3650, 3630 (yes, I had a backup), 3870, 1910, 1945 (gift, but I set it up), and now e805).

The VGA has increased my use of the PDA quite a bit. I now browse the web sometimes, use Excel much more, and don't have to hit the page down button nearly as much in Reader/Peanut. I'll be purchasing PI to use the month view with actual words on it!

AZMark
04-16-2004, 04:53 PM
HP/Compaq may have some problems in the past. But what other vendor can you say all the following about?

*Been in it for the long haul....Aero Journada etc.
*Innovation...Ipaq, Sleeves, CF accessories, bluetooth
*Product life span...Sleeves over the years and models
*Upgradeability...most non low end models got at least one upgrade. I even purchased a rom chip upgrade for my Aero.
*Price Leader....inital iPaqs way below comps.

Don't think you can even come close to saying this about any other vendor, I think they would have to win as most likely to be you long term partner if you are considering MS handheld devices.

Skoobouy
04-16-2004, 06:50 PM
HP/Compaq may have some problems in the past. But what other vendor can you say all the following about?

*Upgradeability...most non low end models got at least one upgrade. I even purchased a rom chip upgrade for my Aero.

Don't think you can even come close to saying this about any other vendor, I think they would have to win as most likely to be you long term partner if you are considering MS handheld devices.

Now, you just KNEW you were gonna invite trouble with a post like that.

HP didn't innovate the sleeves (and thank God--I've said from the very beginning that they were nothing but a loyalty trap to begin with) and there were no sleeveless iPaqs until HP took the product line.

Moreover, HP gets no credit for the Aero; that was completely Compaq's baby, including the upgrade.

Price--so far as I can see, and I could be wrong, but all of the sleevable iPaqs, and every PPC up until the Jornada 560 have all been VERY expensive. Only the 1900, 2200, and 4000 series have been great deals, dollar-for-feature.

Marcel_Proust
04-16-2004, 07:30 PM

The Toshiba is not that huge....try it. The 4" make a big difference for VGA, you can put alot of information on the screen.

Marcel_Proust
04-16-2004, 07:32 PM

And lets not forget my first dusty ipaq, and the dusty replacement they sent me, and the semi-dusty replacement i chose to keep after giving up.

Marcel_Proust
04-16-2004, 07:34 PM

It is supposed to launch in July, I had a confirmation, but in no way the announcement has to be made months before. This will clearly slow the sales down ...

From what I've been hearing the e800 has been d/c, the e805 will not be, and is simply being upgraded with SE. I would be then the e830 is more for July or later.

Spiral
04-16-2004, 08:53 PM
From what I've been hearing the e800 has been d/c, the e805 will not be, and is simply being upgraded with SE. I would be then the e830 is more for July or later.
that makes no sense, the only difference between the e800 and e805 is one piece of software installed in the rom. But Toshiba is supposedly upgrading e400/405 and e800/805.

I'd rate Asus' support at middling. They're pretty new, and they seem to shy away from OS upgrades (not to the extent of Sony), but they didn't offer an upgrade for A600 to wm2003, and (so far) only offered an upgrade to a716 for wm2003se. I think they're afraid that upgrades will make people not buy their next product. For rom updates, they're quite good (they updated the rom to fix speaker issues, and alarm problems).

And what is that about Ipaq's being cheap? The 3900 was way expensive. CF accessores aren't innovation (i'm guessing most of them are rebranded/repackaged products)

Fritzly
04-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Yesterday I was at CompUSA here in Miami, FL and I was told that the Toshiba e800 is discontinued.

AZMark
04-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Well I'm lumping the past experience of HP and Compaq giving them credit. When the 2 companies merged we all bemoned the "best" two PPC mfgrs would now be one.

The dust problem was one thing iPaqs took heat for, but so did many of the mfgrs. And to Compaqs credit the did try to solve, and repair many of the iPaqs out there.

As far as price, when the iPaq came out, it may not have been low price, but for the feature bump that you got, no one else came close. They gave you way more horsepower, upgradeability and memory than the compition for about the same price, and that's price competitive.

buckyg
04-16-2004, 10:32 PM
I'll definitely keep the companies track records and my personal experiences with their PPCs in mind as they announce & release new devices. Regardless though, Toshiba has raised the bar. HP, Dell, etc. need to get on the stick and match or exceed them. Can't wait to see what's coming.

allenalb
04-16-2004, 11:16 PM

i was partial to iPAQs as well, until i got my overpriced and underwhelming 5555...

i like my e805 WAY better, for 50 bux less even :)

ziad
04-16-2004, 11:29 PM
I've been told by Toshiba France ITSELF that the E800 is NOT disontinued, and they're still selling it to resellers ...

Lday
04-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Having owned a 3630, then a E740, now a E755, I can say while I was ticked at Toshiba for not offering an upgrade for the E740, I can see the point. Yes, the E740 had (and still has) issues- 1% battery issue for one, I look at the E755 as what the E740 should/could have been. I bought the E755 after going through 3 E740 repairs, the last one being very satisfactory until I ruined it through a dumb move on my part. Did I hesitate buying the E755? Not a bit! So now I've had the 755 almost a year, and if the 830 is all it is advertised/speculated and not outrageously priced, I can see it being my next PPC.

Altaman
04-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Well I can actually see Toshiba getting rid of the E800 and keeping the E805, could not really see why they bothered with having two sku's anyway. I have the E805 and I had photobase installed at one time, but have sinced removed it and don't miss it one bit.

I can also see that if the E830 is true that Toshiba would keep the E805 as a current model, a "low" end VGA and the E830 a high end one. The E805 price will come down so that the E830 would be at the the current E805 price point. I see the E805 with about a $50-$75 price drop due to the lack of BT and the 400mhz processor compared to the 520mhz.

This all would be positive as people that just could not spend the $$ on the E80x may be able to squeeze it into their budget now.

Finally I would like to say that I would not hesitate to buy a Toshiba again, even if they were not goin to provide the SE upgrade for free...this PDA has worked fantastic since the day I got it.

Alt

Spiral
04-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Well I can actually see Toshiba getting rid of the E800 and keeping the E805, could not really see why they bothered with having two sku's anyway. I have the E805 and I had photobase installed at one time, but have sinced removed it and don't miss it one bit.

I don't think HP is going to discontinue to 2210 before the 2215.