View Full Version : Danger ofr 2210 near a magnet?

cracou111
04-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi everybody.
:?:
I want to use my pocket pc in my car, I'm using a car holder with a magnet.
Can I put the IPAQ directly on the magnet to be hold?
Is it dangerous for the screen or the battery?
Thanks

SHC
04-15-2004, 11:11 AM
I had a car holder with a magnet, whenever I "stuck" the iPAQ on it would turn off. However, once attached I could turn it back on again. Not sure if this affects the iPAQ in any way so ditched it for a cradle type holder.

cracou111
04-15-2004, 11:14 AM
thanks for the quick reply!
But is it wrong to use it like this? Can something get stuck in the PDA?

bljarv
04-15-2004, 03:19 PM
My Piel Frama case for my 2215 has magnetic closures that are actually quite strong and my unit is just fine. It's not quite what you're talking about, but the unit is exposed to a magnetic field all the time without any harm. I think you're probably fine.

That's my two cents...

mredd27
06-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Bumpity bump!

Going back to what SHC said above, I have just fitted a GPS kit to my car for use with my h2210 and that came with a magnetic mount. As such I too have noticed that whenever I attach/detach the iPAQ to/from the mount it turns the unit off.

This is a nuisance but otherwise the magnetic mount is absolutely perfect for my needs so does anyone know if it's doing any long-term damage? My guess is that it's just tripping a little microswitch somewhere in the iPAQ and there's nothing to worry out, but maybe one of you guys knows better.

Ed

P.S. For anyone else having the same problem, I have noticed that if I place the magnet right at the bottom of the iPAQ's body then this doesn't happen, but you are inevitably still going to trip it off everynow and then by mistake.

Kowalski
06-26-2004, 07:47 PM
i've never put a magnet near my 2215.
but keep in mind that CMOS ics easily get damaged with magnetic flux.

mredd27
06-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Good point.

It might be worth a quick e-mail to HP tech support I guess. Hopefully I'll get someone who knows what they're talking about (not just one of their monkeys) so I can have an educated response.

milkman dan
06-28-2004, 08:50 PM
I don't think a regridgerator magnet would hurt a PDA. I have HDD magnets stuck to the side of my PC and I don't have any issues whatsoever with my PC.. hell, my CPU is even missing a pin! (long story) If it is under warranty and you killed it like that, they would give you a new one anyhow :D