View Full Version : A scare with my 5555

buckyg
04-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Last night I had a big scare with my 5555. Starting yesterday, my iPAQ seemed to be slowing down periodically. I had updated the ROM last weekend, so I was hoping it wasn't related to that. There were also a few programs that I had seriously debated about not re-installing after the upgrade. So I had decided to uninstall them last night.

I had been using my iPAQ for a few minutes and decided that I would remove them. (I had not started any of the uninstalls.) Suddenly, it froze. So I pressed the reset button. It died! I could not get it to come back on. So I did pressed the button combination to do a hard-reset. Nothing. I tried that several times. It finally came back to the iPAQ screen and locked up. A soft-reset made it die again.

I finally got it back by pulling the battery for a couple of minutes. Then I was able to do the initial setup and restore my recent backup.

My suspicion with the slow down was a bug in Weather Today. I installed v5.27 yesterday, the slow down started yesterday. After I got things restored last night and get my machine online, Weather Today notified me of version 5.28. Among other things, the new version fixed a memory bug. In trying to prepare for the upgrade, it did soft-reset once. Once I did the upgrade, things aren't slowing down any more.

So maybe that explains the slow down, but I do not think that could have caused things to die like they did. I am keeping an eye on it, also making sure my backup is current. If nothing else, take this as a warning to keep a current backup.

Janak Parekh
04-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear your iPAQ is OK. :)

--janak

buckyg
04-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Janak. Yes, nothing's as scary in the PPC world as suddenly having to worry that you are now the proud owner of a several hunrder dollar brick.