View Full Version : Anyone try the 2003 upgrade for Siemens SX56 on Rogers?

mpovolo2
04-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Curious if it worked.

thanks

noel_foster
04-27-2004, 03:28 AM
Worked fine for me.
However there was a problem either in the Radio Stack or on the Rogers network, so the update was pulled.
It has been working flawlessly for me though so I won't go back.
My sales rep says an updated upgrade is suppose to be ready soon.

mpovolo2
04-27-2004, 02:03 PM
What apps do you use specifically for the built in phone?

noel_foster
04-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Just use the standard built in apps, although I did purchase a keypad theme editor.

spheric
05-12-2004, 08:15 PM
:( Unfortunately for me, I had less success with the SX56 WM2003 upgrade than noel_foster did...
As he noted, the radio stack upgrade seems to have done in my GPRS connectivity. My connection success rate is about 10% now at best - in major cities.
I hope they are actually planning on releasing a supported update - but I'm betting that they just release a different unit.
Mpovolo2 - I use mNotes 3.0.3 for Lotus Notes syncing and it works quite well (when I'm actually connected to the internet)... and I use Checkpoint's VPN-1 SecureClient for VPN access and it works great too.

seanmc
05-31-2004, 08:53 PM
I too am debating whether to try the AT&T 2003 upgrade on my Rogers SX56.... it's so tempting but I don't exactly feel like having a dead phone. The warning on the Siemens website that it is not for Rogers customers stopped me from giving it a try - although i still toy with the idea...

I'm curious... what could have Noel_foster have done that spheric didn't do - or vica versa...

mpovolo - if you decide to try it let us know how it goes.

seanmc
06-08-2004, 09:19 PM
If you go to the Siemens website and look under Canada for the SX56 Downloads they have posted a free upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003. The link is:
http://www.my-siemens.com/MySiemens/CDA/Index/1,1652,CA_en_0_product%253AMW%252FMC%252FMC%252FSX56POCKETPCPHONE%252Fdanda%252F,00.html

Anyhow, I downloaded it and tried to install it.... it bogged out through the ROM upgrade and i ended up with a dead as a doorknob phone. I took it in today and won't get it back for over a week. I called Siemens customer help line but they were terrible and disavowed any responsibility. They told me to get in touch with Rogers. So helpful.

Anyway, if someone else out there gives it a try I'd love to hear what your success is like.