View Full Version : hp5450 with WM2003: no more WLAN indicator on today's page system tray

waanz
04-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi there, I updated my 5450 to WM2003 recently and just noticed that when I activate WLAN, I do not have the green triangle icon in the lower-right system tray which used to allow you to create WLAN profiles, check the signal strength, etc...

That little tool use to run as 'ipaq wlan.exe' and launched from startup but that file does not even exist on my ipaq...

Is it specific to me or can you all confirm that this has disappeared with WM2003. If it has, how do you guys check the signal strength of a wifi access point...

/waanz

PR.
04-13-2004, 04:44 PM
That program has gone. I don't know why I found it quite handy :(

The way to check your Wifi strength now is to click on the connectivity icon in the top titlebar next to the volume control and it should give you a number of green bars as to how strong the signal is, you can also enable disable the wifi from here.

Hope that helps

Bob Anderson
04-13-2004, 04:58 PM
That program has gone. I don't know why I found it quite handy :(

It is gone, and as for the "why", it's because the WiFi "management" has been taken over by the operating system, as part of Microsoft's "Zero Configuration" scheme. For the most part, it works pretty darn good. But as with anything... it will improve over time!

waanz
04-13-2004, 06:36 PM
thanks, i just noticed the green bars indeed and as you, I do miss that useful little wlan manager...

hogger_jeff
04-18-2004, 02:50 AM
I don't know about wm2003 managing things all that well. I had trouble connecting my 5455 to my wireless setup with 2002, and I have just as much trouble now. It just won't take an IP from my router's DHCP. I have to manually assign an IP for things to work. So now how am I supposed to take advantage of wifi hotspots? I've tried changing router settings, disabling wep, all to no avail. I thought upgrading to 2003 would help, but it's no better. Anyone else have this problem as well?