View Full Version : Most annoying mistake?

David Prahl
04-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Take your pick... :lol:

Jacob
04-12-2004, 10:13 PM
I'd have to say "web sight" .. although I've never seen anyone make that one.

David Prahl
04-12-2004, 10:15 PM
I'd have to say "web sight" .. although I've never seen anyone make that one.

I have. 8O Google for it and you'll find a mix of parodies and real pages.

chunkymonkey75
04-12-2004, 10:20 PM
The "Palm-Pilot Thinges" really bug me!!

Kowalski
04-12-2004, 10:42 PM
i hate palm i hate palm i hate palm!!!
thats all i wanna say and people really bug me when they dont understand the difference between a pocket pc and a palm!

buckyg
04-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Not on the list, but confusing "you're" with "your". What makes it stick out so bad though is that it pops up all the time in forum posts on sites that are much less friendly than this one. You have someone who is trying to say that they are smarter than the person that they disagree with. So their posts have to include a phrase such as, "Your an idiot!"

Sorry, off-topic, so I'd say making any reference to a PDA as a "Palm"

JackTheTripper
04-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Actually the one that used to bug me was "website" more than anything.

website - WRONG!
web site - WRONG!
Web Site - WRONG!
web sight - WAY WRONG!
Web site - CORRECT

But alas.... things change.

Web site
n.
A set of interconnected webpages, usually including a homepage, generally located on the same server, and prepared and maintained as a collection of information by a person, group, or organization.

Usage Note: The transition from World Wide Web site to Web site to website seems to have progressed as rapidly as the technology itself. The development of website as a single uncapitalized word mirrors the development of other technological expressions which have tended to evolve into unhyphenated forms as they become more familiar. Thus email has recently been gaining ground over the forms E-mail and e-mail, especially in texts that are more technologically oriented. Similarly, there has been an increasing preference for closed forms like homepage, online, and printout.

David Prahl
04-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Not on the list, but confusing "you're" with "your".

Arrghh! I hate that too! I thought of a few more after making the poll, but every time I try to edit a poll on PPCT it's lost.

Two more:
too/two/too
it's/its

Dave Beauvais
04-13-2004, 01:49 AM
You don't want to get me started on this one. ;) I had a long list of grammar pet peeves on my site before it got wiped out. I might put it back up after editing it down little. So far, everything mentioned here was on the list. :) The most annoying to me by far is "there/their/they're."

Candygogo
04-13-2004, 02:30 AM
'Palm Thingie' gets my goat. Pocket PC is very visable on the pda, but it's called a Palm more often than not. Even my large H/PC is called a 'Palm Thingie.' As soon as you go to explain that it's not, you either get the deer-caught-in-the-headlights look, or some genuine interest.

ctmagnus
04-13-2004, 02:46 AM
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Athelon/Athalon. I hate that one. There's an ad running on our local TV listings channel (the ad is for a non-local place, at least) that mentions Athelon 3100 with a 72000 RPM hard drive.

BTW: I'm not sure that Most annoying mistake? is an appropriate title for this thread. I swear that over 50% of the time (50% of my experiences, at least), it's not a matter of the technology being less than ubiquitous; it's a case of people simply ignoring the information that's presented to them. imo, after a point it's no longer a mistake but rather ignorance.

David Prahl
04-13-2004, 03:15 AM
the deer-caught-in-the-headlights look

:rotfl:
I know EXACTLY what you mean! :lol:

I'm not sure that Most annoying mistake? is an appropriate title for this thread

I didn't really know what I wanted to see this thread "do", so my wording was pretty loose. People are taking this in all directions, but I'd be glad to edit the title with a better word. Any suggestions?

ctmagnus
04-13-2004, 04:05 AM
Personally, I'd go for somewhere in the ballpark of "Most Common Media-induced Mistake". After all, these are (mostly) fallacies induced by the media and/or poor copy editors, no?

However, ymm(will probably)v.

JustinGTP
04-13-2004, 04:44 AM
AHH! Palm Pilot Thingie gets on my nerve!

Jon Westfall
04-13-2004, 05:08 AM
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail89.html
:mrgreen: "If you want it to be possessive than it's just its.." :mrgreen:

Dave Beauvais
04-13-2004, 05:37 AM
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail89.html
:mrgreen: "If you want it to be possessive than it's just its.." :mrgreen:
Be sure to click the muscle arm on the Action Cool News sign at the end. Keep clicking the CD to listen to all the tracks. ;)

David Prahl
04-13-2004, 04:51 PM
I love that site! :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
04-13-2004, 04:57 PM
"Silicone Valley".

JustinGTP
04-13-2004, 06:46 PM
"Silicone Valley".

:rotfl:

dean_shan
04-13-2004, 06:54 PM
I hate the Palm Pilot reference. Drives me crazy. How dare they insult me like that.

KenClunk
04-15-2004, 12:23 AM
I hate the Palm Pilot reference. Drives me crazy. How dare they insult me like that.

Yah thats buy far the worstest thing to here.

(What about using here, instead of hear; or thier, there, and they're always being mixed up. Technically they are all pronounced differently.)

Jeff Rutledge
04-15-2004, 12:43 AM
Not listed, but there vs. they're drives me nuts! :silly:

Wiggster
04-15-2004, 01:37 AM
Um, what's negative about "techie"?

Oh, and while we're at it, what's wrong with Palms? :mrgreen: