View Full Version : Screen Overlay Disaster

mcantle
04-10-2004, 12:25 AM
For those of you out there using Toshiba's screen overlays, I wanted to give you a heads-up about a disaster I recently had. I've been using these overlays for about 9 months with no problems. A couple weeks ago was changing my current one and as I was pulling it off of my e755, it pulled the front of the screen off with it!.

Needless to say I was freaked out. I got the rest of the overlay off, and got the top of the screen tucked back in, but it would no longer work. It was still under warrenty, but it took quite a few phone calls back and forth to convince Tech support that this type of damage should be covered by the warrenty (they wanted $129 to fix it). Basically I had to get them to understand that teh damage resulted from a manufacturing defect. I argued that if the top of the screen had been attached properly, then regular use (i.e., removing their overlay) should not have pulled the top of the screen off the device.

So, my advice:

1. pull your overlays off VERY gently
2. once you get the corner off, hold down the screen as you pull the rest of the overlay off

Personally, I'm moving to the NuSheild protectors which worked nicely with my Jornada 548. A floating protector cant pull your screen appart!

Mike

Anthony Caruana
04-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Wow - I'd used adhesive protectors in the past and was really worried that I'd go through what you just described.

I now will only use ones that adhere electrostaticically. I've been using the Pocket PC Techs Writeshields. They cost but they're good. I'm on my secong one after about eight months and I use my Pocket PC a lot.