View Full Version : Installing MSReader in RAM when it's already in ROM

susall
04-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Has anyone experienced the problem of the old Microsoft Reader being run from the Program Files shortcut after a newer version of the Reader was installed into RAM? If so, what device did you experience that on? And what did you do about it?
-sulu

The Yaz
04-09-2004, 08:08 PM
I ran into the same situation on a PocketPC 2002 (Audiovox Maestro). I solved the problem by using a file explorer called dtree (its freeware). It allowed me to delete the old shortcut out of the program file directory and create a new shortcut from the reader in ram.

It's worked fine ever since.

Good luck,

Steve 8)

SHoTTa35
04-09-2004, 08:57 PM
and the built in file explorer can't do that? I never get it but i guess whatever works.. You shouldn't have to tho... the PPC will see that the file stored in RAM is newer than the one stored in ROM and will basically hide the ROM one. When you install it doesn't overwrite the old one...

guess try that out tho.. ;) :roll:

tanalasta
04-10-2004, 06:37 AM
MR is meant to be installed in RAM to update the older ROM version and is required to read the new DRM'ed books.

You should be able to create a shortcut to the new MR executable and copy that over the pre-existing one in your start menu using the integrated file explorer. I can't see any reason why this might not be the case.

Then again, I haven't reinstalled microsoft reader and I use resco file explorer ;)

marlof
04-10-2004, 08:22 AM
and the built in file explorer can't do that? I never get it but i guess whatever works..

Yes, it can. Just go the the newly installed Reader in RAM, tap and hold, choose copy, go to Windows/Start Menu/Program, tap and hold, choose "Paste Shortcut". It might be necessary to delete the previous shortcut first.

The way the Pocket PC OS works is that a file installed in RAM with an identical name as one in ROM hides the one in ROM. That one is not deleted, but just hidden. If you would delete the RAM installed file, and soft reset, the ROM file should be visible again.