View Full Version : Multiple Simultaneous Bluetooth Connections: Is It Possible?

mashtim
04-09-2004, 01:43 AM
I have ben seriously considering just taking the plunge already and buying an XDA2 (I'm getting tired of waiting for the iPAQ 6000 or the MPx), but have one major reservation: I currently use both a BT headset with my SE610 mobile and a BT GPS with my iPAQ 5500, often at the same time. This has really made the time I spend in my vehicle (which is quite a bit, really) both more productive and shorter. I really cannot imagine giving up the use of either of these tools in order to use the other.
So, is it possible, using either the built-in BT stack or any third-party software, to have an XDA2 connected to both my headset and GPS simultaneously? Bear in mind that, while it would be extremely cool, I do not necessarily need to hear the GPS voice prompts through the headset, just to have the GPS data routed to the mapping program.

Wes Salmon
04-09-2004, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure specifically how the XDA II would handle that, but I have had two concurrent bluetooth connections with my iPaq 2200. I connected to a Bluetooth GPS for navigation then connected to my T610 via Bluetooth to download the latest traffic.

A headset profile may be more limiting due to the bandwidth required, but I do know you can have multiple bluetooth connections with certain hardware from a PPC.

mashtim
04-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Wes!

Ok, now I know that it is theoretically possible, at least.

Has anyone out there actually done such a thing with their XDA/MDA2? I ask this because if I remember correctly, there was an issue with their BT stack only using a headset profile and not offering anything else. Have they addressed this issue? Can I even connect my Emtac BT GPS to the XDA2, irregardless of whether I want to simultaneously connect a headset?

off-subject: Wes, what mapping program are you using to get GPS and traffic info together? I know Mapopolis had a test program going for a bit (ClearRoute?), but they seem to have taken that functionality out of the latest build.

Wes Salmon
04-09-2004, 10:14 PM
off-subject: Wes, what mapping program are you using to get GPS and traffic info together? I know Mapopolis had a test program going for a bit (ClearRoute?), but they seem to have taken that functionality out of the latest build.

Pharos' Ostia has "Smart Navigator" built in their Pocket PC version that does traffic and GPS at the same time.

http://www.pharosgps.com/products/accessories/Ostia_Software/NAV02.htm

I've been using the Ostia software for a few years now with very good results.