View Full Version : Wi-Fi Enabled Devices Explode (in Numbers)

Jonathon Watkins
04-08-2004, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15196' target='_blank'>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15196</a><br /><br /></div>The Inquirer tell us that: "By 2008 there will be 176.8 million embedded Wi-Fi devices, according to a report from market research firm iSuppli. Analyst Scott Smyser reckons that the market for wireless LAN equipment rose 82% in 2003, to be worth an estimated $2.8 billion." Now that's a lot of devices, a lot of growth and a lot of money. Ah, figures like those take me back to the good old days of the Tech boom. :P <br /><br />"According to Smyser, embedded Wi-Fi represented 36% of client access equipment, but this segment will grow to 80% in 2008. Clients by then will include mobile PCs, handheld PCs, mobile phones, cable/DSL modems and desktop machines. Last year, according to iSuppli, embedded Wi-Fi shipped in 50% of notebook PCs, and Smyser predicts that it will eventually be standard for notebooks, just like wired Ethernet." I have to admit, I don't currently have any Wi-Fi enabled devices, but I can see that changing soon. I don't have an actual need for Wi-Fi yet, but amongst other things, this <a href="http://www.tech-report.com/etc/2004q2/kitchen-pc/index.x?pg=1">Tech-Report</a> article about building a PC for the kitchen has me thinking……<br /><br />Others are doing some serious cogitating as well: "This year saw phone firms Nokia and Motorola adding in embedded Wi-Fi, but cellular providers will have to think hard about how they approach this market. If Wi-Fi becomes widespread, users are likely to use this for calls rather than the cellular networks." You don't say. :wink: Well, rather than having my mobile drop calls during train journeys, I could always use Skype via <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3607357.stm">Wi-Fi on the train</a> in the UK.<br /><br />So, how many of you guys have got a Wi-Fi setup? What is the main reason you got it and how do you use it in practice? Does it live up to your expectations? Enquiring minds want to know. 8)

piperpilot
04-08-2004, 01:41 PM
I use WI-FI every day at home. We've had a wireless network for the house for close to two years now. It's wonderful because I can be anywhere in the house (or out on the deck sipping on a margarita) and access the Internet via my iPAQ 5455. I wouldn't have it any other way!

bjornkeizers
04-08-2004, 01:50 PM
I've got a WiFi setup at home as well.

The reason I got it was.. we have WiFi at school as well. I have a laptop, I bought a card, thinking.. hey, it'll probably be slow as hell and never work, but worth a shot, right?

Wrong! It worked beautifully, and I was so impressed with the speed - not a week after I first got my card, I was installing a WiFi router at home as well :D We already had a wired network, so it was pretty easy to replace it with a similar router (same brand, same model, only a WiFi enabled one)

So far, I'm greatly pleased with the speed and stability. I use it with my laptop, and my brother has a laptop with a wifi card as well. My neighbour was so impressed, he got a WiFi network as well (which I installed) Not long after that, our *other* neighbours got a small WiFi setup as well! Yeah, we're living proof that WiFi is really taking off.

Steven Cedrone
04-08-2004, 02:08 PM
I've had wireless for a few years as well. The main reason for me was so that I wouldn't have to continue to run wires all over my house! It makes keeping an eye on the forums that much easier too! :wink:

Steve

OSUKid7
04-08-2004, 02:20 PM
I've had WiFi for a long time. When I originally wanted to network my two computers many years ago, I used the original 1Mbps phoneline network adapters. My house was built in 1927, and my parents don't take kindly to drilling through the hardwood floors to run Ethernet cable. So the next step was to get two Intel AnyPoint Wireless II network adapters (I'm actually still using them today lol), which was early 802.11b. Then a few months after we got cable Internet, we got a Linksys WiFi router. And in January I bought a new "Wireless-G" AP to add on to extend the network as well as increase the speed. (Unfortunately, the Linksys Wireless-G card I bought isn't working well with my computer now...so I'm still using the slower speeds. :roll:)

Jonathan1
04-08-2004, 02:40 PM
I've had WIFI for about a year and a half now. Its indispensable. Linksys. The problem I ran across last December (Literally a week before the warantee expired.) Serious disruption with the connection between my laptop and the AP. Ping times were at 1ms then jumped to 3-6ms, then spiked at 30-60ms. I narrowed the problem down to a bad router. Got it replaced.
Now just this week the same d**m problem has resurfaced but this time I'm noticing that not only is the ping time of the router erratic, (To the extent that it's dropping packets.) but the connection speed is all over the board with 11mb/s to 6mb/s to 2mb/s. This having the laptop within LoS of the AP and 10 feet away. I've also used the Orinoco Gold card on 2 laptops both with similar results. The only other possibility is that the WIFI card is bad but since I don't have another card to test it with *shrugs* who knows.
I'm starting to wonder if high amounts of data through the built in Ethernet ports on the thing may have somehow fried the router in both cases. (I download Stargate SG-1 episodes off the net. (Unreleased on DVD ONLY since I own every DVD set currently available.)

What irks me is that I spent a load on the WAP51AB which is duel band A and B. (This being before G was really out.) And now that my warrantee has expired I'm up **** creek. :? :cry:

Lday
04-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I first bought into WiFi when I was renting a house for 6 months and needed access without running cables all over. That was early 2001, paid almost $800 for a Linksys router, AP, and 2 PCMCIA cards. I've moved a couple of times since then, my last move I bought a house and hard-wired every room for Cat 5, cable, phone, and sound before I moved in. Sure is nice to have a big attic!. I'm still doing WiFi as well for my E755, although the Linksys equipment is retired, replaced by a Microsoft MN700.

powder2000
04-08-2004, 03:41 PM
I've used WiFi for two years, both when I rented and in my new house which I too hard wired for networking. I must say, I don't have more than one computer right now so I use the WiFi with my ppc and am on the internet anywhere, anytime. I love it! I use the netgear mr314 wireless router and socket 802.11b cf card, works great.

Dylan
04-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Wireless at home for close to two years now, at first only desktop and notebook. Recently bought iPAQ 4150 to replace my P800 (which had replaced my Casio E-115), and now my pda is wireless too!

I love discovering open networks at work and on the road :-)

Deltrevan
04-08-2004, 04:39 PM
We've had Wi-Fi for around two years I guess. We originally got it for a couple of reasons. First, my wife wanted all the cat five cable up off of the floors. I had basically just run un-hooked up cable here and there, that way, wherever a family member (or guest) sat down with a laptop, they would be able to jack into the network.

The second reason, was to facilitate all night gaming sessions with my children and their friends, It was just easier for everyone to find a place to sit down, when we weren't constrained by where there had been a cable run.

Accessing the network we have three wireless pda's (all toshiba's), four laptops (all with add in cards) and three desktop machines (the real gaming powerhouses of the group, and all homemade rigs). We did have some interference issues when we originally set the network up. The typical stuff: erratic signal strength, dropped connections, interrupted downloads, the usual. At first, we thought that it might just be the volume of the traffic that was causing the connectivity issues. But, we were wrong.

After much trial and error (and a lucky break with a Radio Shack employee who actually knew a thing or two), we figured out that it was our cordless phones. We have a couple of those setups where you have one base unit, and then a couple of handsets that you can put anywhere you've got a power outlet. Man, did I feel likle a doofus when the RS employee reminded me that any 2.4 Ghz cordless phone uses the same part of the spectrum that a wi-fi network uses (excpet for one phone on the market made by Cobra that is labeled on the box as being "wi-fi friendly", but I digress, that's another story for another thread).

So, needless to say, after we swapped out all the 2.4 Ghz phones for 5.8 Ghz models...Voila! No more interference or interuption issues. Not one...not a SINGLE one. The network has performed flawlessly ever since.

Now, not only do I have access from the back patio, but more importantly, I have access from the toilet! Gawd, I love technology! :D

OSUKid7
04-08-2004, 06:26 PM
PPCT should start a poll to see how many people have/use WiFi at home, work, etc. From the responses to this thread, there are more than I would have expected (certainly more than a year or so ago).

thunderck
04-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Ahhh the Breese Comm days.. I remember them well. Almost five years ago now my college had these semi compatible, pre 802.11b APs and cards it was really nice but the cards did not work so well on full revision 802.11b. I have been a fan ever since. Now I'm setting up SSL VPN secure WIFI for corporate work sites. (really nice but a PAIN to config).

dean_shan
04-08-2004, 08:06 PM
I've had wireless for over a year now and I cannot see my self going back. Also there is wireless all across my school. I'm so accustom to getting an Internet where ever I am. I could never go back now.

russp
04-08-2004, 09:12 PM
I use wifi on the PDA to browse the web as others but also have my PDAs on wall pedastals in some rooms as house controllers. That is, they wirelessly access the home controller PC webserver and can control lights, alarm, etc....

I also use the PDA to watch TV in bed streaming it wirelessly from the home server in the basement which gets it from the satellite and streams it out over the network using the Snapstream BeyondTV software. Very cool but hard on battery life. :(

OSUKid7
04-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I use wifi on the PDA to browse the web as others but also have my PDAs on wall pedastals in some rooms as house controllers. That is, they wirelessly access the home controller PC webserver and can control lights, alarm, etc....

I also use the PDA to watch TV in bed streaming it wirelessly from the home server in the basement which gets it from the satellite and streams it out over the network using the Snapstream BeyondTV software. Very cool but hard on battery life. :(
Very cool indeed. 8) Wish I had the equitment to do that.

Zack Mahdavi
04-08-2004, 11:29 PM
I use WiFi to network my 2 Macs and my Pocket PC together. WiFi's by far the most convenient thing ever... I love having internet access is most buildings across campus.

The next thing I'm really looking forward to is wireless power. I think the introduction of wireless power will cut down the number of wires on a person's desk by 50%. :)

OSUKid7
04-08-2004, 11:38 PM
The next thing I'm really looking forward to is wireless power. I think the introduction of wireless power will cut down the number of wires on a person's desk by 50%. :)
LOL...I've heard of that idea before, but there's no easy way to implement it. Would be cool though.

ctmagnus
04-09-2004, 12:55 AM
There was the pad that was mentioned a while ago. That would be useful, just put your cellphone, PDA, wireless keyboard and mouse, portable audio player... on it and the devices charge without any actual metal-to-metal contact. I even read about some company (possibly the same one) that offered adapters for existing devices to work with it.

Zack Mahdavi
04-09-2004, 05:27 AM
There was the pad that was mentioned a while ago. That would be useful, just put your cellphone, PDA, wireless keyboard and mouse, portable audio player... on it and the devices charge without any actual metal-to-metal contact. I even read about some company (possibly the same one) that offered adapters for existing devices to work with it.

Yeah, I remember watching a video about it. It looked pretty cool, but later I read reports questioning whether the rays might cause cancer.