View Full Version : Removing Help and Find from start menu?

Bichcake
04-06-2004, 10:35 PM
anyone know how to do it? I never use these items and i would prefer not to have them on the start menu, but i can't find any program or registry hack to remove them.

I am probably not the only person who is looking for this. And with the SE version comming out, with landscape mode, i want to be able to trim my start menu down a bit.

Thanks!

ctitanic
04-07-2004, 01:29 AM
That's not possible.

dean_shan
04-07-2004, 02:49 AM
If I'm hearing you correctly, are you meaning the program short-cuts that show up when you press start? If so, use FileExplorer and go the the /Windows/StartMenu/ directory. Then delete the unused short-cuts.

ctitanic
04-07-2004, 02:53 AM
If I'm hearing you correctly, are you meaning the program short-cuts that show up when you press start? If so, use FileExplorer and go the the /Windows/StartMenu/ directory. Then delete the unused short-cuts.

You wont find a short cut for "find" neither for "help" and those are the options that he wants to delete, this is why I said that it's not possible.
0X

dean_shan
04-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Oops :oops: I misread his post. Sorry about that.

IanthePez
04-07-2004, 06:59 AM
This is something I have looked for a way to do, but have never found out how...anyone know?

ctitanic
04-07-2004, 12:49 PM
This is something I have looked for a way to do, but have never found out how...anyone know?

Did you read my answer?

THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE! 8O

Kevin C. Tofel
04-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Is it not possible because it is inherent in the OS or some other reason? I'm not doubting you, just looking for the technical reason.

Thanks!
KCT

Talldog
04-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Did you read my answer?

THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE! 8O
So, are you saying it can't be done?

:wink:

ctitanic
04-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Did you read my answer?

THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE! 8O
So, are you saying it can't be done?

:wink:

YES I do!

ctmagnus
04-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Bah. It can be done. Ever hear of an X-Acto knife? Just cut out the portion of the screen that contains the two items.

:mrgreen:

Seriously, though, I'm sure a little registry and/or dll tweaking could get rid of them.

Bichcake
04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
bah! foiled again by windows mobile. why does it have to be so lame.

thanks anway

Janak Parekh
04-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Seriously, though, I'm sure a little registry and/or dll tweaking could get rid of them.
Considering the fact that ctitanic releases registry tweak tools, I think that option wouldn't be possible. DLL mangling, on the other hand, might be... but that's non-trivial.

--janak

ctitanic
04-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Considering the fact that ctitanic releases registry tweak tools, I think that option wouldn't be possible. DLL mangling, on the other hand, might be... but that's non-trivial.

--janak

Rember that you are talking about the OS and the OS is in ROM. ;) So in the case that hacking the dll was possible you will have to replace the ROM dll with a copy of that dll in RAM. Sometimes the OS does like that kind of things because it looks for the dll in ROM. So... my friend, the answer is simple NO IT'S NOT POSSIBLE. ;)