View Full Version : LCD vs. OLED

Zack Mahdavi
04-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Jobs may be right. I personally think that all handheld OS'es will be replaced with desktop OS'es. In that sense, the PPC could be considered dead. The OQO will be the first to do it right IMO. XP plus a 5" touchscreen in a pocketable/wearable form is perfect. Finally no compromises.

I agree... although I think this will become more feasible once they figure out a way to cool these things. Plus, to help battery life, replace the LCD with an OLED.

Aerestis
04-04-2004, 06:58 AM
hey zkmusa, I just searched on OLED but I can't seem to find out much. Could you explain a bit? I am so impatient with searching online, hehe. Thanks to anyone who can give me a hand.

Falstaff
04-04-2004, 07:37 AM
OLEDs are Organic Light Emitting Displays. They are used as displays, and are just now beginning to hit the market (still mostly prototypes now though). They are brighter than LCDs and can display millions of colors. There are also flexible OLEDs, which allow for high quality color screens that can roll up. OLEDs (especially flexible ones), will open up innumerable possibilities in portable computing, for one example that fits here, check out this. (http://www.smtexas.net/faculty/rummel/io/baton.html) Hope this answers your question.

Aerestis
04-04-2004, 10:13 AM
The web design and animation on that website made my eyes bleed, and the music was really unnecessary, but the idea is ok. I really don't want to carry a stick around though... I don't get why they want to call it a baton, simply because it looks like one. They don't call pocketpc's 'small flat things' for a reason, if you see what I mean. A name like 'stick computer' is cooler. No, but seriously, I like the general idea but their visualizations need some work.

I can see a flexible screen being a bit cooler in a situation like... A cylinder like that, but a keyboard could be wrapped up in there too. The keyboard would simply be a sheet with the keys drawn on, but when you're trying to go that compact, it's about all you can ask for. And so the OLED screen would draw out, and maybe have a thin, extendable shaft on the side of the cylinder that will allow you to prop up the screen while the keyboard lays flat out. So it takes up a bit less room than a laptop at that point, the touch screen might be comfortable still but maybe not. I suppose a sort of mouse would work, there would be a retractable cord on the cylinder with a small round thing that was... also the cap to the cylinder?

Oh whatever, I don't know. Their idea is as good as mine, heh. Well I like OLEDS if they can be that high detail, and brighter. How are they on batteries though? I would love to see better screens anyways, I've only seen one device in my time that had a good screen.

Zack Mahdavi
04-05-2004, 06:51 AM
OLEDs are Organic Light Emitting Displays. They are used as displays, and are just now beginning to hit the market (still mostly prototypes now though). They are brighter than LCDs and can display millions of colors. There are also flexible OLEDs, which allow for high quality color screens that can roll up. OLEDs (especially flexible ones), will open up innumerable possibilities in portable computing, for one example that fits here, check out this. (http://www.smtexas.net/faculty/rummel/io/baton.html) Hope this answers your question.

Great answer... one thing I'd like to add is that the pixels on an LCD screen don't produce light, but instead just the color. A backlight (which takes up a lot of power) is required to light up the display. The pixels on an OLED display actually emit light while displaying color, so no backlight is required. So technically, they're supposed to be a lot less power intensive than an LCD.

Aerestis
04-05-2004, 07:26 AM
wait, wouldn't that make it so OLED's are way more crisp and... real looking? Like blacks would be darker and whites would be brighter? I can see those displays bringing images to life soooo much more. Millions of colors, high resolution, sort of dynamic display... Unless it doesn't work that way? If it does, I am so excited.

Zack Mahdavi
04-05-2004, 07:45 AM
wait, wouldn't that make it so OLED's are way more crisp and... real looking? Like blacks would be darker and whites would be brighter? I can see those displays bringing images to life soooo much more. Millions of colors, high resolution, sort of dynamic display... Unless it doesn't work that way? If it does, I am so excited.

No, you're absolutely right. The image quality is much better than that of an LCD (and I thought LCDs were good.. :)). I can't wait for OLEDs to become more mainstream myself!

Aerestis
04-05-2004, 07:48 AM
hmm, are they cheaper to manufacture? I thought I heard something from a friend in my IT class about some type of display that will be able to be manufactured for very low prices but will look much better... But I have a feeling that was double sided LCD's or something. Any idea? I wonder if OLED would be in our living rooms as well. I like the idea of using less power in homes and stuff, especially if the results are excellent.

Zack Mahdavi
04-06-2004, 07:49 AM
hmm, are they cheaper to manufacture? I thought I heard something from a friend in my IT class about some type of display that will be able to be manufactured for very low prices but will look much better... But I have a feeling that was double sided LCD's or something. Any idea? I wonder if OLED would be in our living rooms as well. I like the idea of using less power in homes and stuff, especially if the results are excellent.

It might be cheaper in the long run (less components = cheaper), but I believe the initial costs of these displays are quite expensive currently.

Yes, these will definitely come to our living rooms in the near future. In fact, large OLED displays are predicted to replace plasma screens.

Aerestis
04-06-2004, 09:45 AM
I haven't actually seen a plasma screen yet. Do they look nice? I wish I could see one, then I could have an idea of how good the OLED's might be.

Zack Mahdavi
04-06-2004, 06:32 PM
I haven't actually seen a plasma screen yet. Do they look nice? I wish I could see one, then I could have an idea of how good the OLED's might be.

Yeah, they look very nice.. Very sharp, vivid, fast motion color. Stop by the TV area of your local electronics store next time you visit. You'll be amazed.. :)

Steven Cedrone
04-06-2004, 06:40 PM
This discussion has been split from here... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26408&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Steve

Falstaff
04-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Yeah, they look very nice.. Very sharp, vivid, fast motion color. Stop by the TV area of your local electronics store next time you visit. You'll be amazed.. :)

Personally, I think the LCD TV screens look sharper than the plasmas (unfortunately they are also many thousands more). Plasmas look good, but if I'm spending that much money, I want an LCD. LCDs have longer lifetimes, better quality, and other advantages.

Back on (new) topic, does anyone know about the lifespan of an OLED screen? I've never seen that mentioned anywhere.

Zack Mahdavi
04-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Personally, I think the LCD TV screens look sharper than the plasmas (unfortunately they are also many thousands more). Plasmas look good, but if I'm spending that much money, I want an LCD. LCDs have longer lifetimes, better quality, and other advantages.

Back on (new) topic, does anyone know about the lifespan of an OLED screen? I've never seen that mentioned anywhere.

The problem with LCDs is that the pixels can't update fast enough during high-action scenes. Thus, you see snowing. Plasma screens aren't as sharp as LCDs, but the pixels can update at extremely fast speeds. That's why I prefer Plasmas currently. However, I've read that LCDs are progressing rapidly and the latest LCD screens pretty much eliminate that issue.

Regarding the OLED lifespan, I believe I read a year or so ago that an OLED display the size of a PDA screen will have a lifespan of about 40,000 hours. This is only a fraction of the lifespan of an LCD screen.