View Full Version : iPaq 2210 Audio Hardware Hack/Mod!?

radioflyer7
04-06-2004, 04:49 PM
SOMEBODY STOP ME BEFORE I RUIN MY IPAQ!!!

I am looking for a way to physically add an audio jack on the bottom of my iPaq 2210, next to the connection bus. I hope to also hack the cradle to include this audio connection. 0X

Imagine, by setting down in the cradle, the iPaq's audio out is connected to the sound system of your choice. How cool would that be in a car application! 0X I don't believe any of the car mounts out there has a nice and clean solution for connecting the audio.

Now, I have not yet opened the 2210 to see if there is even room on the bottom to reroute the jack to. If anyone has any experience doing something like this, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Steven

Robb Bates
04-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Take a look at this front page article. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=26194) It has some good pictures.

It should be interestiing to see this in action.

Looking at the pictures, it seems like the best place for a connector would be between the sync connector and the reset button. Or rather than a headphone jack, you could use some kind of surface contacts that just touch each other when you put the 2210 in it's cradle. That way there would be very little intrusion into the innards of the device.

Send pictures if you do chop up your 2210.

Robb

chunkymonkey75
04-06-2004, 05:19 PM
YOU ARE MAD! MAD, I SAY!!!

:wink:

Robb Bates
04-06-2004, 05:35 PM
If you want to get real adventurous, you could try sending audio through the sync connector.

Here's a list of the pinouts I pulled off some website a while back. Note that pins 5,16,18 & 20 are not used. I have NO idea what would happen if you do use them. But that's one possible way to go. Of course if you fry your device, don't blame me.

Another way to do it is to use some of the RS-232 pins. You could disconnect them internally since most people don't use the serial port. And then send the audio through those pins. If this is true RS-232, it might be OK if you accidentally plug in some kind of RS-232 device, since RS-232 pins are supposed to tolerate +/- 15V.

And then you could always do what I do right now. Use a cassette / CD adapter and plug it into the regular headphone jack. It's a minor hassle, but my warranty is still intact.

Robb

iPAQ 3800 Series Pin-outs, including 2210:

Pin 1 V_ADP RED
Pin 2 V_ADP RED
Pin 3 V_ADP RED
Pin 4 V_ADP RED
Pin 5 Reserved - Do Not Use
Pin 6 RS232 DCD
Pin 7 RS232 RXD
Pin 8 RS232 TXD
Pin 9 RS232 DTR
Pin 10 GND
Pin 11 RS232 DSR
Pin 12 RS232 RTS
Pin 13 RS232 CTS
Pin 14 RS232 RING
Pin 15 GND
Pin 16 No Connect - Do Not Use
Pin 17 USB Detect
Pin 18 No Connect - Do Not Use
Pin 19 USB - UDC +
Pin 20 No Connect - Do Not Use
Pin 21 USB - UDC -
Pin 22 GND

radioflyer7
04-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the link to the pics. They are great.

I like the flat-contact idea. It looks like I might have to go down that path due to the limited space. Somehow I'd have to put in a switch as well so that while using this connection, the built-in speaker is disabled (the same way the jack works now).

If I end up doing this, I promise I'll post some pics here.

Steven

radioflyer7
04-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Whoa! I just saw the pin-out posting. That'd be pretty rad! Not sure if I'll never use the serial connection (though I can't think of an application that USB wouldn't be better in...)

I did the cassette adapter thing for a long time and two months ago finally installed an RF modulator into my car, with a 1/8" plug coming out of the storage slot in the console. It works great sound-wise. Better than the cassette adapter. But the wire is still annoying. An all-in-one cradle is still most ideal.

Robb Bates
04-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Keep in mind that the non used pins between the USB pins might be for noise control. Added noisy (audio) signals there might be a bad thing.

Robb

omikron.sk
04-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Pinout with a picture:
http://palmare.idnes.cz/PocketPC_WinCE/WinCE_Hardware/pdapinout040317.html
written in Czech, but look "IPAQ řada 38 a novější?" (iPaq 38xx and newer?).

But I recommend not to do it (=not to ruin your PPC). PPCs are really highest-end of tech devices and hard to be modified from the inside although this seems to be pretty simple operation - it will be not (at least I think so).

KenClunk
04-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I wish I had the marbles to take my PDA apart. If all goes well with you I might have to. currently I use my PDA in my car and it sounds awesome. I have a direct hook up into the head unit. If anyone else out there has a Pioneer then listen up.

I have a head unit with a CD changer input that was not being used. So I bought a Part named CBR-10 that converts the CD changer (Pbus) into two female RCAS plugs (Right and left). I then got some good quality wire and ran it under my center consule. This way only about a inch of wire is showing. It connects right to the PDA. I also ran a cigarette charger under the consule to come up at the bottom of the PDA. It works great only two wire to connect plus by having power to the PDA aq can have the backlight on all the time.

Oh yeah also for anyone that uses their PDA in the car go to microsoft and download the "Old" WMP skin. The one from WM2000. It has bigger buttons and looks better when playing music.

It would be great if there was some sort of cradle device that would work. I was actually going to mount a cradle (just for the power) but I could not find a good place in my car for it. Anyways I give you mass props for doing something like that. Keep us updated.

JessicaBrillian
04-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Nice