View Full Version : Journal Bar slows down gameplay?

Zack Mahdavi
04-06-2004, 07:25 AM
I've been happily using my registered version of Journal Bar for about a couple weeks now.

However, I've noticed that Journal Bar causes some games, especially Astraware's Bejeweled to tremendously slow down. Moving pieces in Bejeweled while Journal Bar is running causes gems to slide extremely slowly. This happens no matter if Journal Bar is set to autoscroll or not. However, turning off Journal Bar causes the game to play beautifully. I don't think it's a processor issue as I have an iPaq 4155. Also, I have plenty of free internal storage memory (20MB plus).

Have any of you all had similar problems? Thanks for your help!

Edit: The version I was using here was 2.0.3.1

woffles
04-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Right now I'm running 2.0.3-6 and it seems to have a bug in it. I ran a sniffer on my network and it showed that after journal bar downloaded the weather and stocks it repeatedly kept hitting the network trying to go somewhere. Acted like it was stuck in a loop. Also when it is doing this I noticed that if I go to a window like programs and scrolled down it would cause it to scroll back up. Removing my 2215 from the cradle or killing journal bar would stop this behavior. Hopefully they will fix this cause I really like the program.

Zack Mahdavi
04-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Interesting... I sent an email to Omega One regarding my problem. Hopefully we'll get a fix soon.. :)

juni
04-07-2004, 06:29 AM
Also when it is doing this I noticed that if I go to a window like programs and scrolled down it would cause it to scroll back up

Exactly! Or if you are trying to scroll down in the "favorites" in Pocket IE it would just make the list go back to the top. When you disable Journal Bar it works fine. Highly annoying. :(

pendragn
04-07-2004, 04:55 PM
I haven't used Journal Bar in a while. When I used it there was a bad memory leak. I emailed Omega One. They said they were aware of it and working on a fix. I never heard back. :(

tk

Zack Mahdavi
04-07-2004, 11:38 PM
I haven't used Journal Bar in a while. When I used it there was a bad memory leak. I emailed Omega One. They said they were aware of it and working on a fix. I never heard back. :(

tk

How long ago was that? I've noticed similar problems.

pendragn
04-08-2004, 04:43 PM

tk

How long ago was that? I've noticed similar problems.
It was a few months ago. I suppose I should hit Handango and see if they have a newer version that doesn't leak.

tk

Darius Wey
04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Journal Bar has slowed everything down for me.

I've had to reset my device about 10 times in a span of half an hour because it's crashed my device. Hopefully a bug fix will do the trick. :wink:

blot
04-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Well, I finally had to uninstall Journal Bar. I had noticed some of the same weird behaviour as the rest of you, but I never realized that it was Journal Bar causing the problem. Another conflict I ran into today had to do with one of Juni's skins. I saw Juni's organizer skin in a thread and thought it looked pretty slick, when I loaded it up, however, it would lock up my device any time I tried to click the tab that had Journal Bar displayed. The funny thing is that it only seemed to be this one Dashboard skin that would lock it up. I thoroughly tested it and sure enough, it would lock up every time. I had to remove my storage card that had the skin file on it to get my device to fully start after a soft reset, because it was stuck on that same tab. I haven't experienced this with any of Juni's other skins, however. Sure enough, when I uninstalled Journal Bar, the problem went away. Weird, eh?

Zack Mahdavi
04-09-2004, 05:24 AM
I received a reply from OmegaOne. They said to upgrade to the latest version, 2.0.3.7. I upgraded, and it seemed to fix most of my problems.. Bejeweled gem swapping still slows down, but not as much as it used to.

blot
04-09-2004, 07:45 AM
I received a reply from OmegaOne. They said to upgrade to the latest version, 2.0.3.7. I upgraded, and it seemed to fix most of my problems.. Bejeweled gem swapping still slows down, but not as much as it used to.
Where did you get the upgrade from? I just tried downloading from Handango and ended up with 2.0.3.1 again. I tried earlier today and couldn't even download.

woffles
04-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Make sure you do a soft reset or the old version will still be in memory.

Zack Mahdavi
04-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Where did you get the upgrade from? I just tried downloading from Handango and ended up with 2.0.3.1 again. I tried earlier today and couldn't even download.

You also need to go to to your "My Purchases" area in Handango and download Journal Bar from there. Also, make sure you turn off Journal Bar before you proceed with the installation.

Hope this helps..

blot
04-13-2004, 07:18 PM

You also need to go to to your "My Purchases" area in Handango and download Journal Bar from there. Also, make sure you turn off Journal Bar before you proceed with the installation.

Hope this helps..
Well, it doesn't seem to matter what I do. Every time I download from Handango now, I get version 2.0.3-1. I completely uninstalled Journal Bar from my Pocket PC and from my PC as well, deleting all the setup files and everything. No luck.

blot
04-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Okay, I finally was able to get 2.0.3-8 downloaded and installed from Handango. I had to hack the URL to get it to download properly! :evil: Anyway, it still locks up when I try to use it with Juni's Organizer skin for Dashboard. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Is anyone else willing to try to replicate the same behaviour? If you do, just make sure the organizer skin is on a removable storage card so that you can pop it out if it locks up on a soft reset.

Anyway, I'm thinking this isn't necessarily an issue with Journal Bar, but perhaps with Dashboard, or even the Organizer skin. If I notice any other quirks with 2.0.3-8, I'll post them here.