View Full Version : More Information on the BenQ P50 Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition

Jason Dunn
04-04-2004, 04:47 AM
I was digging through my expansive email inbox, and came across a press release regarding the P50. Nothing terribly new here, but this device looks like it has some serious potential!<br /><br />"BenQ will be displaying its exciting line of innovative Smartphones and multimedia feature phones at this year’s CeBIT Exhibition (March 18-24) in Hannover, Germany. In line with the concept of “Networked Digital Lifestyle Devices,” BenQ mobile phones are fully integrated devices that feature superior connectivity and multi-functions in a compact exterior. Fueled with a wide array of mobile phones that are great for work and play, BenQ will be showcasing models for users of all lifestyles and preferences. Whether you demand a multimedia or a business intelligent mobile phone, BenQ has it all. <br /><br />“BenQ is dedicated to further expanding its current brand portfolio to continuously provide technologically-innovative products that not only meets the needs, but also brings enjoyment to users,” said Irwin Chen, Vice President and General Manager of the Networking and Communications Business Group.<!><br /><br />Among the array of phones that will be displayed, BenQ’s series of Smartphones will no doubt catch the attention of business professionals. With features that provide excellent information management and superior connectivity, BenQ’s series of Smartphones are a must have for the office. <br /><br />The BenQ P50, featuring Microsoft Windows Mobile for Pocket PC Phone Edition ™ Software, exemplifies BenQ’s Smartphones with its innovative design and superior capabilities. Sporting an elegantly rounded exterior, full keypad and large LCD screen, the quad-band BenQ P50 is the perfect balance of practical functionality and aesthetic form. Equipped with IrDA, Bluetooth, GSM/GPRS/WCDMA technology and built-in WiFi 802.11b, the P50 is the ultimate wireless personal digital hub that connects you to your world. Not only can BenQ P50 provide first-rate connectivity solutions at work, but also at home. With IrDA capabilities, you can remotely control all your home entertainment gadgets, whether it is your DVD player, TV, or audio player. <br /><br />Also to be displayed will be the smart and stylish BenQ P30, featuring Symbian OS and UIQ User-Interface. The BenQ P30 sports an ultra slim and elegant design, with great features such as a color TFT LCD Touch Screen Panel, Smart Handwriting Recognition and Document Viewer. Great for the busy professional on-the-go, the BenQ P30 is also outfitted with superior entertainment functions, such as video player/recorder, audio player/recorder, 300K pixel digital camera, and photo editing capabilities."

Spiral
04-04-2004, 07:51 AM
P50 looks really nice.

but wifi/bt is overkill for my needs. It's awesome it's quad-band and works on multiple network types, but with all that stuff it's sure to cost a lot, and there's nothing between the P50 and P30, too bad.

Jeff Song
04-04-2004, 08:44 AM
The P50 is the device that I want. I currently have the ipaq 4355 but it lacks the GSM/GPRS radio that I desperately want. Hopefully it will come to TMobile :D

Kiki
04-04-2004, 03:29 PM
If it's half the price of the Mpx it will do great. If the cost is similar I can't see anyone picking this device over the Mpx.

brianchris
04-04-2004, 04:27 PM
The P50 is my next PDA. The MPx (supposedly) does not have the GSM 850 MHz band where the P50 does (huge, since I live in the USA), and I prefer candybar to clamshell.

One question I have that I have not been able to determine, is what version of PPC Phone Edition OS it will have: WM2003, WM2003 Second Edition (hopefully), or 2002?

True, something else may come along to unseat the P50 as my next PDA, but for now, its the "one." BenQ, just hurry up and get it to market :drool:

Mitch D
04-04-2004, 05:30 PM
This is a nice phone and I think it would be a great PPCPE but after my failed experiment with the XDA I will stay with a seperate Cell and WM2003 device.

brianchris
04-04-2004, 06:38 PM
This is a nice phone and I think it would be a great PPCPE but after my failed experiment with the XDA I will stay with a seperate Cell and WM2003 device.

Do elaborate. While I'm hardly jumping into the converged device mindset blindly (I've been in the "two device" camp previously, and know the downsides of converged devices i.e. battery life, etc.), I've gotten to the point where I believe the benefits outweigh the downsides. However, I'm keeping an open mind and therefore I'm interested in hearing your story.

-Brian

jeff
04-05-2004, 05:00 AM
If it's half the price of the Mpx it will do great. If the cost is similar I can't see anyone picking this device over the Mpx.

I would. It's thinner and lighter.

Stephen Beesley
04-05-2004, 08:19 AM
There is definately a lot to like here. The keyboard is overkill for me (I would prefer something smaller minus the keyboard), but I like the idea of a Phone edition wilth BT and Wifi.

Of course I just bought a new mobile on the weekend (a Sony-Ericsson T610 - which I just cannot stop playing with at the moment :D ) so I think the two device solution will be my path for the moment.

Kiki
04-05-2004, 09:06 AM
The P50 is available in some parts of Asia now I believe if anyone is interested in trying to order one before it comes to the US.

Ryan Joseph
04-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Man, too many choices! The MPx is out...to expensive. That leaves the upcoming iPAQ 6000 and the P50. Both look very cool.

I absolutely love my PPC Phone. I'll never go back to seperate devices again. That said, I'd like to have BT and WiFi integrated, so I'm looking forward to the release of these two devices. :)

Kiki
04-11-2004, 01:09 PM
One thing, I forgot the MPx uses a TI chip. If its performance sucks, the P50 would be more desirable.

Yoonoo
04-12-2004, 06:50 PM
The P50 is available in some parts of Asia now I believe if anyone is interested in trying to order one before it comes to the US.

Interesting...I was under the impression the P50 was still in the early stages of production. Where did you get this information from?