View Full Version : Pocket Excel Broken - Please help

webagogue
04-03-2004, 04:22 PM
For whatever reason, my Pocket Excel has decided to format cells as long date format on its own. I've given up trying to find out why and thought I would just create a new workbook template.

Problem is, the workbook isn't accepting formatting to all cells. I highlight all cells by clicking in that blank box (above "1" and to the left of "A"), click the Format -> Cells menu, and change the Number tab "Category" to "Number."

I click OK and then go back to my spreadsheet. The upperleft most cell is formatted as Number but all of the others are a strange long date format. I don't want to select and change each cell individually... any advice?

Ripper014
04-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Pocket Excel is ... hmmm... how do you say crap...?

Until Planmaker becomes available I would suggest you download a program called SpreadCE... the retail version is $20... but you can download the free version that contains a nag screen for nothing. It is a much better spreadsheet program. I would think that you can make global changes to your sheets as well... by highlighting the whole sheet.

webagogue
04-04-2004, 05:22 AM
Pocket Excel is ... hmmm... how do you say crap...?
I would think that you can make global changes to your sheets as well... by highlighting the whole sheet.

You would think that but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm no noob to Excel (no power user, either) and this one has gnashing my teeth.

Here's some extra info - Excel works fine after a hard reset. Then, as part of my tweaking, I install EffyOpenEyes to Japanize my PDA and allow hiragana, katakana, and kanji (best IME I've found for non-J PDAs). Well, Effy changes the way dates display. I then set most things back to their English settings in the Regional Settings app of PPC.

Excel starts acting funny. I input a number 1, hit return (or click in another cell) and the number is changed to "G1900n19001900Sun|." The number 2 gets changed to "G1900n19001900Mon|" and so on through Sat.

Excel does just fine for me for the features. I am mostly doing simple arithmatic to compare different purchases, choices, etc. I will try SpreadCE, though.