View Full Version : Getting my HP 5550 online wirelessly

amringer
04-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Hi! I've asked this question before, but nothing I'm doing is working. I'm using the HP 5550 in my government class and we have a wireless network access point. We used to be able to get online by simply tapping the IPaq wireless icon and then turning on the WLAN. For several weeks, I haven't been able to get online and I can't figure it out. I've done the soft reset and it hasn't helped. Is there anything else I need ton configure in order for the internet to work?

Thanks for the advice.

buckyg
04-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi! I'm not a wifi guru, but here's a couple of thoughts...

Perhaps some security settings changed on the access point. For example, if they do not broadcast the SSID or they have enabled encryption, you have to change your connection settings to match the access point's settings. You would have to ask whoever maintains the access point about this. I recently changed the two above settings on my home access point for security. It was a challenge to get the connection changes to work on my iPAQs.

Is the wifi on the 5555 turning on? (Orange light for on, green for connected) If the light does not come on, you'll need to pull the battery for just a moment, then put it back in and fire up your iPAQ and then wifi. For some reason, from time to time, wifi stops working. It just will not turn on, even after a soft-reset. When that happens, pulling the battery for a moment seems to reset whatever the problem is.

Do you have the latest wifi updates from HP? I really did not notice much change after installing these, but maybe they might help? Note: I did have to pull the battery to get wifi to work the first time after the last update.

I hope that maybe this helps. Good luck.