View Full Version : Were the sleeves so bad?

Gremmie
04-02-2004, 06:48 AM
So as I read about Vodaphone's new 3G PC Card (http://www.vodafone.com/external/0,3050,LANGUAGE_ID%253D0%2526CONTENT_ID%253D0,00.html) I wonder, were the [iPAQ] sleeves such a bad idea? Sure, they added to the bulk of the device, but the only way to experience new devices like this--driver's willing--is to have a PC slot. Although CF is highly adapted, the turn-around time on these devices are lengthy. PDA's are still viewed for the cutting-edge, but my neighbor who has a laptop two years old is able to browse the net faster than me. So I ask, were the sleeves such a bad idea? No, they weren't, and I miss them.

(for those new to Pocket PC's, sleeves allowed you to add a variety of slots but were debated as too bulky and inferior to integrated CF slot solutions.)

manywhere
04-02-2004, 09:00 AM
The only problem is that manufacturers doesn't port the drivers to Windows Mobile Pocket PC. Sometimes searching for WiFi PC Card drivers is like looking for a needle in a haystack! :roll:

Gremmie
04-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Sometimes searching for WiFi PC Card drivers is like looking for a needle in a haystack! :roll:

Not really, figure out the chipset and there are plenty of sites that offer all of the universal drivers. But your arguement is a vicious circle--there were no drivers because there was limited demand. If sleeves were used more, then there would be drivers. Sleeves were actually useful at first because there were more drivers for PC cards than the available CF cards.

JohnnyFlash
04-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I believe they actually were a bad idea. IMHO, they were just another way for Compaq to milk their customer base for additional revenue.

I really do feel that the sleeves' primary drawback was the expense. Because, you not only had the expense of the sleeve, but the actual expense of whatever it was you were trying to add to your PPC in the first place.

Plus, they drained batteries like there was no tomorrow.

ctmagnus
04-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Plus, they drained batteries like there was no tomorrow.

Hence the plus line, with integrated removable batteries ;)

Janak Parekh
04-03-2004, 09:59 PM
I really do feel that the sleeves' primary drawback was the expense.
But... the sleeves provided added functionality. The Pocket PC wasn't useless without the sleeve. So how is that milking? :?

Anyway, Gremmie -- I think you'll see expandable units continue to exist in the vertical/enterprise/specialty markets, but sleeves weren't truly popular amongst the mass market due to bulk and other inconveniences, so you'll probably see it disappear from HP's consumer line.

--janak

disconnected
04-04-2004, 06:27 AM
I think it's useful to have a CF slot -- although not quite as necessary now that iPAQs at least have an SD slot and storage capacity of SD cards is improving. I do think they could have done a better job of designing the sleeve; it was way oversized. I have a Silver Slider 2 CF sleeve, which is a great improvement, and my only real complaint is the lack of a case. I had a Vaja case for the 36xx and SS2, and an Inooch case for the 39xx and SS2. I've never found a good case for the 55xx and SS2; that's really the only reason I don't use the SS2 much anymore.

Of course if the next generation of PPCs have higher resolution, then I guess movies will require more storage space, and SD cards will be too small again!

ctmagnus
04-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Of course if the next generation of PPCs have higher resolution, then I guess movies will require more storage space, and SD cards will be too small again!

Good point!

Thinkingmandavid
04-04-2004, 03:28 PM
I think it was too bulky. it is one of the reasons whyI would never buy an Ipaq for that series. I do not want to spend the added cost and I do not want the additional weight, and I do not want the battery being used quicker.
If I did get an ipaq only the 2215 would be ideal for me because of dual slots.
The pda is changing and as more options become available we will see more integration. This brings us back to the hybrid idea.
ppc/phone
ppc with bt, wi fi, gprs, gsm/gps/etc.
dual slots/usb adaptability/etc.

We look to see if price will match what WE think the product is worth, and while that is happening bill gates and others will be attmempting to persuade us that the price is worth the product.

I do not think having a pc card is a bad thing if you have a device that is not bulky adn if you can have decent battery life. A thin device ideally for pc card usage.

caesar
04-04-2004, 05:46 PM
I still have a 3650 with an expansion sleave. I love it. Seeing as how the newer iPAQs have built-in CF and SD card slots I'm sure HP/Compaq could make a much slimmer sleave.

yuit
04-04-2004, 10:31 PM
sleeves are bad

1) they add bulk to the ppc.

2) they use a proprietary connection, so they can only be used on one device. consider the difference between using navman sleeve gps vs. a regualr cf gps (or even a bluetooth one)

3) they make finding good cases hard because the size of the unit is not standard.

I really don't see the need for sleeves given that bluetooth, wifi, cf, sd exist as standard interfaces.

JohnnyFlash
04-05-2004, 04:30 PM
I really do feel that the sleeves' primary drawback was the expense.
But... the sleeves provided added functionality. The Pocket PC wasn't useless without the sleeve. So how is that milking? :?

--janak

Hi, Janak~

I feel that it was milking because it added (or enabled) functionality that should have been present and functioning when the device came to market.

Just one person's opinion. :wink:

sublime
04-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Weird...I read this thread last night and wound up having a dream about owning an iPAQ that held three different sleeves on at once. I bought it at McDonalds for a buck and was worried that I might have paid too much. It was bloody huge, but hella cool.

Yeah man, weeeeird...