View Full Version : Sold my 4155 - some thoughts.

spawn_x
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Well, someone was interested at work in a 4155 and we went ahead and worked out a deal for mine, so its not sold...

It was a nice unit, but for the 450 + tax/accessories/software price-tag it was just not worth it.

The ability to wirelessly sync to a storage card absolutely sucks. I bought Mightysync, but after i snapped some pics on my digicam and synced up it wiped the pictures off the storage card because Mightysync wasn't able to recognize that the images were written on the card after the last sync..

I dislike the fact that i'm UNABLE to open files directly across the network or another PC. Yes, you could map it, but I don't want to have to create a map everytime I want to open a small text file on one of the computers.. And even if mapped, i had problems with some of the files (excel) unless I copied the file onto my PDA first.

The memory management SUCKS. I know there is a program that you can install to fix that.. but the resources on the PDA are not infinite, I don't want to install/run 20 programs to fix the things that should already be there.

In general it just seems that the PDAs haven't changed at All between 2.5 years ago and now (i had one back then, an iPaq 3xxx).. not much change at all.

I guess what I'd like is a VGA pda with a simple OS that does NOT think for me.. oh and something that i can look at in landscape. I tried that VGA program, but resolution went to crap when i simply rotated it.. that and half the programs wouldn't "look" right..

I guess I'll just keep waiting till they have what I want. I'm not a fan of spending huge money on technology that is still in relatively early staged.

I don't think I'm asking much.. time will tell.

:)

SHoTTa35
04-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Welcome to Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition... haven't you read? That's what WM 2K3 SE spose to do.. VGA support and Landscape too .. look on this site for the screenshots

or directly to www.ppcw.net or read a review on brighthand or ther pda sites...

jneely
04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
The ability to wirelessly sync to a storage card absolutely sucks.

I assume you mean the INABILITY to sync...

Yeah, I'm with you on that one, I hate that ActiveSync won't sync stuff on a storage card. It really should.

I guess what I'd like is a VGA pda with a simple OS that does NOT think for me.. oh and something that i can look at in landscape. I tried that VGA program, but resolution went to crap when i simply rotated it.. that and half the programs wouldn't "look" right.

Sounds like Windows Mobile 2K3 SE will fix the VGA and rotation part of this complaint, not sure it'll stop trying to think for you though.

I'm not a fan of spending huge money on technology that is still in relatively early staged.

PDAs may not be shrunken desktop computers at this point, but we're a long way from where we started. Perhaps you need a tablet PC instead of a PDA...

rugerx
04-01-2004, 09:12 PM
I dislike the fact that i'm UNABLE to open files directly across the network or another PC. Yes, you could map it, but I don't want to have to create a map everytime I want to open a small text file on one of the computers.. And even if mapped, i had problems with some of the files (excel) unless I copied the file onto my PDA first.

hmm I am able to keep persistent maps with Resco, have no probs opening files that dont require conversion first. Also able to stream media to the 4155 as well.

The memory management SUCKS. I know there is a program that you can install to fix that.. but the resources on the PDA are not infinite, I don't want to install/run 20 programs to fix the things that should already be there.

I use magic button, I open it, then I close it... no resource problems.

and half the programs wouldn't "look" right
Im with you on this, nyditot and dotpocket were nice tricks, but not useful.
Glad I tried the eval on those products before I purchased =)

In general it just seems that the PDAs haven't changed at All between 2.5 years ago and now
I bought a palm 3c 2.5 years ago, this 4155 blows it out of the water! =)

Good luck. Maybe try one of the new OCO ?

spawn_x
04-02-2004, 04:12 AM
well the tablet PC wouldn't be something i would use / assume its practical.

yes, we've come a long way, but look at the changes in pocket PC the last 2.5-3 years... from 200mhz processor to 400, built in memory is pretty close (32 vs 64), display is the same, size hasn't changed much (same size LCD), neither has resolution.

my maps to network locations don't get ruined/broken, i just stated that they don't (haven't) always fixed my problems of opening up files across the network.

I'll check out the screen shots for second edition of pocket pc OS. There's just a pretty decent sized list of things i was pretty unsatisfied with, I'm pretty sure the second edition won't fix everything..

;)

acollet
04-04-2004, 02:37 PM
I sold my Palm TH55 to get the 4155. Best decision I made yet. I love the fact that HP supports LEAP, the memory management is 10x better than that of Palm (dont believe me, just try using Mapopolis ona PPC and a Palm).. Bluetooth, something I thought I'd NEVER have a use for ROCKS! I got a Socket Bluetooth GPS and its sooo sweet. Now if only Sprint would support Bluetooth phones :(

disconnected
04-04-2004, 06:22 PM
ecollet,
Have you seen the T608? I don't think it's in Sprint stores, but I ordered mine by phone from the Sprint auto division, I think, and I love it. It's not the world's most advanced phone (screen isn't great and no camera), but it has bluetooth, and works with my iPAQ 5555. There's a FAQ and forum about it on www.sprintpcsinfo.com.

Andy Whiteford
04-05-2004, 11:31 AM
I would imagine you will start to see real progress in Pocket PCs going forward.
While there have not been any huge advances in the past couple of years, what has been happening is a tweaking and fine tuning of what is there.
With the advent of Windows Mobile, the mobile platforms have been consolidated into a similar, more robust base which will allow more development and innovation across the board. This should lead to more advancement in forthcoming releases - VGA and on the fly rotation support in the forthcoming WM2003 SE are big moves in my opinion and a good addition for what is effectively a point release.

americaneagle
04-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Why would anyone want to get rid of there 4155. I loveeeeeeeeeee this model. I have tried the 1945 and 2155. I love the screen. Great quality. And the speed and size.... You just can't beat it. Of course we can't forget the fact that it has both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

:D