View Full Version : Who knows ipaq 4155?

enaime
04-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Can I change the device ID on my ipaq 4150. Not the active sync ID under settings menu. Im talking about the ID that it comes with from the factory, its a 5 letter sequence. please help.
thanks

Jason Dunn
04-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I think this is hardware assigned, so no, I don't believe it's possible. I'm not 100% sure of that though...

Janak Parekh
04-01-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm almost 100% certain the answer is no. Pocket PC 2003 specifically introduced device IDs to control things like DRM, and from what I heard, it's burned into hardware; at least, it is not user-modifiable.

--janak

Kowalski
04-01-2004, 11:51 PM
i totally agree with janag, this is not like the IMEI number found in cellular phones which you can change by some special software. you dont have a chance to do this

Jason Dunn
04-01-2004, 11:52 PM
I guess the question is, why do you want to change this?

enaime
04-02-2004, 07:36 PM
the reason I want to change it is because I bought a program for $75 and I have two PDAs. One I use at school and another I use at the office. The software only works for one unit with a certain ID, the company wants me to pay another $75. I was trying to get around this, I guess it might be unethical. I quit!

SHoTTa35
04-02-2004, 09:27 PM
oh just like bad MS for making you pay $600 for 2 copies of Windows XP Professional (not upgrades) 8O Ohh.. shame on them and all those other developers who spent months to years building stuff for your enjoyment so they can make $75 back for it since you could give it out to all your buddies and they give it out to all theirs ;)

Not that i think it's fair the prices they charge sometimes but if you think it's worth it that you want it on both devices then pay for it.

(written on a stolen keyboard, attached to a stolen PC running pirated OS ;) )

LOL.. just kiddin..

thunderck
04-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Does someone smell fish? Or is it just me?

enaime
04-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Hey how about you guys lay off. Good god I asked a simple question. Yeah and by the way budd the company that developed the program is making a killing in the market anyways, Im sure one friekin program isnt gonna break their multi million dollar business. And for the record, I always pay for programs created by the "little guy", I even donate when its a free program that works great and was developed by some dude in his garage. So settle down a dont judge character when you dont know whats going on. With that said, refer to my previos reply saying I was done and finished with this subject so dont bother replying.

Thanks to those people who know and understand ppc, that have helped me in the past, and those of you who come on here to talk your smack, find a hobbie, or better yet a job.

chunkymonkey75
04-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Yea guys, why don't you just lay off! Can't a guy just steal some software (as long as it is from a big company) without being attacked!

;)

JGRicci
04-08-2004, 02:33 PM
I see DRM an issue when it comes to today's techies.. some of us can have multiple PC's, or pocketPC devices as in the case we have here.. DRM should be tied to the user, not the device.. I do agree, it is ridiculous to buy 2 full versions for your 2 pc's. At least a multiple license plan would be nice. 1 full + 75% extra licenses.

So how do we tie it to just a user? install that damn hardware ID in every person :P

Janak Parekh
04-09-2004, 04:52 AM
DRM should be tied to the user, not the device..
That is a valid point, but a proper response is to boycott developers who tie it to the device -- and to send them a polite email explaining such. It's the developer's right to implement DRM as they see fit, and your right not to buy into it. It gets a lot murkier when you want to circumvent said DRM.

--janak

enaime
04-09-2004, 05:01 AM
Thanks guys, Im glad someone inderstands what I was talking about. As for boycotts, Im kinda stuck because the software I am refering to is the gold standard in professional eye care. Its pretty much a must for eyecare practitioners, and there is only one company who offers it. Anyways, Im just gonna buy the damn thing and so I dont have to deal with this. Hope someone can come up with a way to use programs on different devices.

Janak Parekh
04-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Thanks guys, Im glad someone inderstands what I was talking about. As for boycotts, Im kinda stuck because the software I am refering to is the gold standard in professional eye care. Its pretty much a must for eyecare practitioners, and there is only one company who offers it.
I'm afraid you'll have to buy it for now, then, if you want to stay legal. Nevertheless, if you have any contacts at the company, talk to them about their policies and see if they would be willing to work with you -- either now or in the future.

--janak