View Full Version : smartphones suck

enemy2k2
03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15075

Smartphones are rubbish, survey says

IT managers don't think they're very nice

By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 31 March 2004, 08:29
A SURVEY BY mobile software company Intuwave claims to show that Smartphones, far from being regarded as leading edge devices are not much cop at all.

According to Andrew Wyatt, VP of marketing at Intuwave, only 40% of IT managers have confidence in Smartphones as a business tool.

We're surprised as high a percentage of IT managers think that.

The rest think they're devices not nice to have, inadequately tested, can involve product recalls that are "costly and embarrassing", and difficult to set up.

Wyatt said that Smartphones are taking on many of the functions traditionally associated with the PC, and the industry, he appears to be suggesting, needs to apply diagnose and fix tools associated with desktop devices.

He said: "If this isn't achieved, then the entire industry will simply haemorrhage money as Smartphones are adopted in greater numbers". µ

Doesn't seem aimed specifically at MS though, before anyone cries 'hate crime!'

Jason Dunn
04-01-2004, 01:24 AM
Smartphones are still in their very early stages, and they have a lot of room for improvement, but they're getting quite powerful and, for many people, it's the only PDA they'll need.

This will be discussed over on www.smartphonethoughts.com I think. ;-)

chunkymonkey75
04-01-2004, 02:12 AM
A Smartphone with Blackberry push email technology.....that would be an impressive device! I know that RIM has licenced the technology to Palm and MS. MS plans on implimenting into the PocketPC Phone, hopefully the Smartphones will be soon behind.

enemy2k2
04-01-2004, 05:19 AM
Smartphones already seem plenty powerful to me, especially the MS version hardware. I've seen a lot of excitement on this site over the upcoming Motorola MPX, but some pictures I've seen of the MPX100 on the web really caught my attention. Nice candybar type phone, and so pretty! /me wants

Janak Parekh
04-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Smartphones are still in their very early stages, and they have a lot of room for improvement, but they're getting quite powerful and, for many people, it's the only PDA they'll need.
Yep - I think what will happen is a slow convergence between smart and "dumb" phones, to the point where people won't realize it, but they'll all have smartphones in their hands. :)

--janak