View Full Version : I think HP and Apple might...

Aerestis
03-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Make an Apple Handheld. Maybe I am crazy though. Since they have partnered up with that other stuff, I can see them actually going a long way together. I just have a feeling that Apple is the only company who would really... Take a handheld and make every day people notice them. Does anyone agree? Apple seems to get everyone's attention, even people who don't know who Apple is or Microsoft or HP, so on.

But you see, HP could benefit from that in a lot of ways. You'd almost think that people buying Apple Handhelds would almost force others to buy HP Handhelds. I can't even include reasoning in this post. It's just the way it seems.

Well, whatever, I just see Apple making a new handheld in the future. Maybe we will see the first handheld with a nice gui, hehe.

hamishmacdonald
03-31-2004, 10:54 AM
This keeps coming up, usually with someone having posted a "leaked" CGI rendering of such a device. I would have liked to see such a thing, too, back when I used Macs. And, sure, there are elements of the Newton's GUI that I sorely miss...

Except Steve Jobs has stated explicitly on several occasions that he has no intentions of ever producing a PDA. He derided the Newton, saying that "No one wants a scribble-pad". A few million of us beg to differ, but Steve isn't exactly known for his sensitivity to others.

Personally, I don't find what Apple's been doing the last few post-iMac years particularly revolutionary. They've just been perfecting things that already existed. The iPod has been their greatest success, but they hardly invented the digital music player. iTunes, iPhoto, ("iLife"? -- please!) -- just nice implementations of apps that we've already seen. I'm wondering when they will either fall behind the curve or get their act together and do something new again. Thinner, faster, bigger -- these are just iterations of the existing.

Zack Mahdavi
03-31-2004, 05:54 PM
We will never see an Apple version of a PDA, at least as long as Jobs is there. It's unfortunate, but Steve Jobs thinks that the PDA will die soon.

I do, however, see Apple designing a smartphone operating system that could be licensed to cell phone manufacturers. I don't think Apple would actually make the cell phones themselves, but instead just the software.

MrPlastic
03-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Coming from the consumer side of things, I'd like to see Apple perhaps leveraging the iPod guts and user interface to companies like HP. I also see them and PalmOne as a great fit. 2 smaller cultures/underdogs uniting = a new powerhouse in the hottest IT arena?? But, maybe they're really not involved at all....or maybe it'll be both (or more)! That way, Jobs is telling the truth....kinda.....Apple would not be producing a handheld, but they'd still be involved in a major way....

I just wish someone would integrate the iPod-sized harddrives in PPC's and Palm devices. And I'd really like to see an HD in future Smartphone devices. How cool would it be to lug around your entire cd collection, a powerful 4+megapixel camera with slideshow capabilities on an integrated high-def screen, a good phone, along with a powerful bundle of other cool software- all in something the size of the MPx?! I see that device as the current-day pinnacle of handheld hardware, but it still has its shortcomings, if you ask me. We simply need more storage, nicer cameras, better mp3 functionality, better gaming capabilities....we're getting there, but I cannot stand the baby steps when the technology is obviously already available. It's maddening! 0X

billbuckner
04-01-2004, 01:33 AM
And, sure, there are elements of the Newton's GUI that I sorely miss...

Word! :fro: I would buy a color NewtonOS in a heartbeat.

rock
04-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Jobs may be right. I personally think that all handheld OS'es will be replaced with desktop OS'es. In that sense, the PPC could be considered dead. The OQO will be the first to do it right IMO. XP plus a 5" touchscreen in a pocketable/wearable form is perfect. Finally no compromises.

Aerestis
04-01-2004, 09:25 AM
what? No compromises? You typed five inch screen yourself... How is that not a compromise while using a desktop os? I don't think these operating system belong in our pockets. It's overkill really. Maybe jobs is half right, but then again, does anything ever stay as it is? He should make a cross between a pocket os and a desktop os in os ten format, and then you would have the ideal os for your pocket. Nothing huge, nothing too small, yeahhh

XP would never go in my pocket unless I had no choice

Steven Cedrone
04-06-2004, 06:41 PM
LCD vs. OLED discussion has been moved here... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=233823#233823)

Steve