View Full Version : Peer-to-Peer File Sharing

David Prahl
03-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Have you ever shared ANY copyrighted material on the web? We're not working for the RIAA or anything, so please respond honestly.

I've wanted to do this poll for quite a long time -- it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

dmacburry2003
03-30-2004, 11:43 PM
LOL, first the keystroke logger, now p2p, what next? :lol:

Honestly, most of the music I ever downloaded was from music.lycos.com 8)

Well.... about doing p2p... I don't remember :wink:

JohnnyFlash
03-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Not only have I shared in the past...I continue to share several hundred files every night via Overnet (EDonkey2000).

dean_shan
03-30-2004, 11:56 PM
You never gave your answer David? ;)

zamus68
03-31-2004, 12:28 AM
I wasn't 100% sure how to answer this. I don't use p2p but I share Books, CD's, & DVD's all the time with my family, friends, & co-workers. I guess that's why I don't see the big deal about the p2p networks is. I'll buy movies I like and borrow the rest from friends same goes for Cd's & books. If someone doesn't have it then it'll eventually make it to a used store where it is priced where it orginally should have been.

Personally I got sick of paying 15-18 dollers for one song on an album or buying a greatest hits to get one new song for the bigger groups. The record companies have used greed to shoot themselves in the foot.

dean_shan
03-31-2004, 12:34 AM
I wasn't 100% sure how to answer this. I don't use p2p but I share Books, CD's, & DVD's all the time with my family, friends, & co-workers. I guess that's why I don't see the big deal about the p2p networks is. I'll buy movies I like and borrow the rest from friends same goes for Cd's & books. If someone doesn't have it then it'll eventually make it to a used store where it is priced where it orginally should have been.

Personally I got sick of paying 15-18 dollers for one song on an album or buying a greatest hits to get one new song for the bigger groups. The record companies have used greed to shoot themselves in the foot.

Yeah I think everyone does what you do. Now do you copy those DVDs for your friends?

Falstaff
03-31-2004, 01:38 AM
I just selected the option that fit best, I don't really understand what you mean with the second option, that was kinda confusing to me. I don't think it's legal, yet I do share (eMule). I have never downloaded software (the only pirated software I have I've gotten from friends, though that is only a few games/programs), but movies, tv shows, and music, yes. I may have downloaded movies, but I still want to replace my divx collection (only ~70 movies) with DVDs. I have excellent rips of the first two LOTR movies (I also saw the first and third ones twice and the second one once), yet I'm going to shell out $100+ for the 3 movie über-DVD set. Basically, I download movies as a temporary solution until I can afford to buy them. Also, I miss a lot of movies in theaters, so the first time I've seen them has been a divx rip I've downloaded, several times that has caused me to buy the DVD, and sometimes it has caused me to delete the movie. The fact that listening movies/songs many times causes people to buy products is what the RIAA and MPAA try to hide, because they want to make it seem like p2p hurts them. The record industry is doing better now then ever, and if the movie industry is doing bad, their bad movies are to blame, Gigli anyone?

David Prahl
03-31-2004, 02:07 AM
I'll admit that I have shared files over P2P, but in a limited sense. And I never went through with the KeyKatcher, dmacburry2003! :wink:

This poll isn't designed to point fingers or debate what is or is not legal. I'm just curious how many people use Kazaa/P2P.

dean_shan
03-31-2004, 03:36 AM
Falstaff, if there was a nail getting hit on the head emoticon, I would use it here. That's exactly how it is with me.