View Full Version : Trouble Connecting to Pocket MSN Messenger and Pocket MSN after rom 1.10

bnycastro
03-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Hi all.

I have an hp iPAQ 2210 I upgraded this to ROM 1.10 last week.

Everything went smoothly... but when I tried to connect to Pocket MSN Messenger I was not able to do so. I got an error message saying that my logon name or password was incorrect however this is not possible as I used the soft keyboard to input my logon info.

Also when I tried to logon to http://mobile.msn.com/pocketpc/ I got an error message as well; I got the "the page you are looking for cannot be found" error. I am sure I am connected as I can go to other sites etc etc.

I tried logging on to the same site using my browser on my desktop (mozilla firebird and internet explorer) and it worked!!! So I don't know if this is an MSN Problem or a hp problem?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any help/advise will be appreciated.

Bny Castro

May the FORCE Be With You...

u4c95
03-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Were you using a SDIO wireless card for network access?

bnycastro
04-01-2004, 03:59 AM
@u4c95: nope. I couldn't connect no matter what I used. my wifi cf card at home nor my Bluetooth USB at the office; even my USB sync cable! Mind you I could connect to other sites (like PPC Thoughts) easily.. . I just couldn't connect to the Pocket MSN site and my Pocket MSN Messenger could not log-on... Anyway it's working now and I think I know the culprit!

I 1st contacted hp and msn support: which led to a dead end naturally... they insisted on me installing the MSN Messenger update (which we know is already included in the ROM 1.10 itself... :roll:) so I had to find other sources of help. As they say when a door closses (in this case 2 doors) another one opens...You see I also had movsoftware's wonderful imov messenger installed on my iPAQ; this to was having problems connecting after my rom 1.10 update. So I contacted movsoftware... fortunately mov's SP replied quickly and he suggested installing a security CAB (Microsoft High Encryption Pack for Pocket PC 2002), I did what he suggested and alas it did not work as well. :idea: So it go me thinking maybe it did have something to do with security so I searched for the latest Encryption Pack (found it at MS Download Center) I installed it and I was able to logon to the jabber servers via imov, still Pcoket MSN and Pocket MSN Messenger were not cooperating... So I did a hard reset Fresh from this reset I tried to logon to MSN hotmail/messenger both WORKED!!! So now I knew that I had installed something to f*ck up my MSN web/messenger and imov... something to do with security. I hypothesized that I could easily weed out the culprit by the process of elimination... I had Illium's eWallet, Resco Explorer 2003, Movsoftwares imov messenger, Airscanner's Mobile Encrypter. I knew eWallet and Resco were not having problems. I installed each app one by one and tried connecting too msn with the app installed after installing mov and it still worked... i figure it must be Airscanner's Mobile Encrypter... this might be using a encryption pack that is not compatible with ROM 1.10 so to be safe I didn't install Airscanner Mobile Encrypter (I now use Resco Explorer's built in encrypter for my files) and Antivirus (I'm not sure if there are viruses for the PPC already) after my hard reset. Just in case this does happen or something like this happens to your try uninstalling some apps first... In my case I went straight to the hard reset, which may be a bit too much :) And now everything is back in working order I am once again pleased with my iPAQ.
Bny Castro

May the FORCE Be With You....

-----------------------------------------------------
iPAQ 2210 ROM 1.10

aung
04-02-2004, 06:13 AM
I have the same problem with MSN Messanger. And I also have Airscanner's Mobile Encrypter installed on my 4150. So I remove it like Castro mentioned. But still can not login to MSN messanger. I have tried to install MSN messenger update for WM 2003 but still can not login. Shall I still need to install Microsoft High Encryption Pack for Pocket PC 2002 as its OS is WM2003? Your suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

------------------------------------------
Casio PB700 --> Casio PB770 --> Sharp Zaurus -> Apple Newton --> Psion 3a --> Compaq Aero --> HP 1910 --> HP 4150 with 256 MB SD + 43 applications

Janak Parekh
04-02-2004, 06:45 AM
I have the same problem with MSN Messanger. And I also have Airscanner's Mobile Encrypter installed on my 4150. So I remove it like Castro mentioned.
I think the problem is that the Airscanner software might mess it up to the point where a hard reset and reinstall would be needed. Note that he found the problem by not installing it after a hard reset...

--janak

bnycastro
04-02-2004, 11:38 AM
@aung: janak maybe right... when I installed the high encryption pack (for PocketPC the latest version) I still could not connect to Messenger. This is why I did not install airscanner encrypter after a hard reset... and sure enough this time I was able to log on... if you have time or would like to fix this, try a hard reset.

Bny Castro

May the FORCE Be With You...

----------------------------------------------
hp iPAQ 2210 ROM 1.10

aung
04-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks to you all. I will hard reset and re-install everything. Hmmm.... this weekend will be gone.

Thanks again.

Casio PB700 --> Casio PB770 --> Sharp Zaurus -> Apple Newton --> Psion 3a --> Compaq Aero --> HP Jornada 546 --> HP 1910 --> HP 4150 with 256 MB SD + 43 applications